So crisp and clean! Do you pre-treat your wood?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi.
I buy the wood in plank, and I make it at home. The only treatment I do is with nitro cellulosic filler. I do not know how it is known in other countries, but it is the primer that varnishes use before applying the final varnish. It is very easy to sand with very fine sandpapers or with fine steel wool.

AMALIO

I believe that nitrocelluose is laquer resin.  It makes a good sanding sealer because it is hard.  Will check and advise if incorrect.

Ed

It is a kind of varnish with a very fast drying, so the wood does not give time to remove the pore. When it dries, it is very soft so it is very easy to polish it later. The final look is very similar to the one that gets the wax with a satin finish that I really like.
There are also tapaporos to water with similar results, but I like nitrocellulosic. Remember that it is not a product designed for the final termination, but it is a preparation prior to varnishing, but I use it as a termination.
Thank you

AMALIO

Amalio - thank you for sharing how you prepare your wood.  I, like I’m sure many others, find your insights valuable.

Best regards,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

All of your work is very well finished to such a high quality Amalio, not a hint of 'fuzz' on your rope or finished wood.

I very much enjoy your updates to see what can be achieved.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Every aspect of your build is impeccable.

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Lovely work as ever, Amalio. I am very impressed that you've preplaced all those hanging knees prior to the deck beam installation and all appear to be at the proper height and angle.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Amelio,

Maybe in my next life my skills will come close to your work - prob not - haha - Amazing work indeed.:imNotWorthy:

Such a pleasure to follow.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 2 weeks later...