Reef point spacing ?

Perhaps some one here could tell me the distance between reef points in a given row. This would be for my Sloop Providence 18th century sloop of war. First ship in the Continental US Navy.

Thanks

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Thanks Henry,  by two reef points in each sail cloth , does that mean 1 every foot or two? I'm assuming each cloth is 2' wide. And is the point sewn in on the seam or in the middle?

SOS

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

I have seen it done so that you end up with a reef point at 1/3 (or 8") intervals on each cloth, but I am sure there are other ways.

I read a description whereby robands are put in two to a cloth with one falling on the seam, perhaps reef points could be done the same?

You will end up with different patterns across the sail.  The first produces groups of two with a larger gap between groups.  And the second will produce an even spacing.  Choose the one that looks best to your eye.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

I think through the seam makes more sense but there is a lot of documentation showing a pair of them in each cloth, not in the seam. Through the seam makes for a stronger grommet  hole since it goes through more  layers of fabric on a seam. The bottom line will be the spacing since the goal is to gather the canvas and allow the reefed sail to set with a smooth unpuckered foot with a reef tucked into it.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Thanks Frankie and Henry, I'm thinking I just might put the reef points in between the seams as they might just stand out more.

I made a mock up of the Providence sails just put into position with thread. I wanted to get an idea of how the model would look. Of course it all comes down to actually do the rigging.

I just might work from the inside out . That is do some running rigging for the main sail then do the main shrouds and fore stays after the main sail and all it's gear are belayed into place. Tying those mast hoops on the  sail luff /mast would be easier with the mast off the model. IMHP

SOS

PS the top sail will also have reef points as well.

.post-9806-0-68585100-1466112037_thumb.jpg

Thanks

S.O.S.

• 6 months later...

Were reef points always two per sail cloth? I ask, because one of the references I'm using for my topsail schooner build, a drawing by Dr. John Tilley, shows one reef point per cloth, and place those points at the seam between each cloth. This is very different than the two-per-cloth, between the seams, method described in this thread and in other references I've seen, such as this one.

Also, a question that seems stupid: do the reef points extend equally on both sides of the sail (i.e. ropes hanging down each side) or just on one side? Every drawing I can find just shows sails face-on, no indication of how each side looks.

Thanks for any guidance.

Thanks, popeye! That's what made sense to me, but for the life of me I couldn't confirm it. Also thanks to druxey, I'll see if I can get that right too. This sail rabbit hole I'm diving down has become quite interesting.