BLUENOSE By Jerry - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

Happy New Year, Don and thank you for your  visit to my log.

We are patiently waiting for the arrival of the display case for Bluenose but we probably won't see it until February.  The fabricator always takes his sweet time but it's worth it as he is very competitive and his workmanship is the best.

So in the meantime, Bluenose has become a room divider sitting above the kitchen sink giving us a seascape as we gaze into the living room.  There is a bit of danger exisiting since she could get sprayed by the faucet but we're on guard for that occurrence.  The picture speaks for itself.

post-545-0-18137200-1482853174_thumb.jpg

Best,

Jerry

P.S.  If one looks carefully Victory and Bounty can be seen in the room.

Edited by Jerry

Hello Lawrence..

Nice of you to stop by so soon.  Thanks for your comments regarding the room divider.  LOL...

Looks like the admiral is getting serious; she began to build La Nina.  I can't believe that she finally started to build her ship.  The framing is done but i don't think she's too keen on having a log.  Maybe I can talk her into it.  It's going to be a hard sell I'm afraid..

Take care,

Jerry

P.S.  If one looks carefully Victory and Bounty can be seen in the room.

....along with a grand piano......so who plays Jerry? You or Charlene, or both of you? And what type of music gets played?

looks great finally on display Jerry!    good to hear that Charlene has started to work on La Nina....hope we see a build log, or even a peek every so often  ;)

super job Jerry...........so......what's next?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Grant..

The piano is actually a baby grand piano that Came along with my marriage to Charlene.  However, she doesn't play the piano and ironically, I do.  Or let's say, "I did!"

At one time I could really do justice to the keyboard, even played in a dance band way back then.  Mostly pop and jazz.  I have been very lucky with respect to music as i was given a gift of being able to play by ear.  As hard as I tried as a youngster, I could hardly read music so I memorized everything, even when playing at dances, etc. I even played the organ a couple of times in one of the local churches.

Now the piano is mostly a nice piece of furniture that may even end up supporting a ship model.  Who knows?

Thanks for your visit; it was nice of you to take the time to do so.

Happy New Year,

Jerry

Hello Popeye...

Happy New Year to you and your family.

What's next?  I have no idea!  I suppose some of the near future time will be spent assisting Charlene and her endeavor with La Nina.  She's got the deck base mounted and seems to be happy going ever so slowly.  I'm not about to discourage her or rush her as she's her own boss and has now made a little progress.

I'm still waiting for the display case for Bluenose which I'll probably see next month.  I'm not sure where the model will stand once we see how it looks in the case.

Take good care

Best,

Jerry

Hello Peter...

Happy New Year to you too.  Thank you very much for visiting my log.  I appreciate your kind words.

Thought you'd like to know that I am of Ukrainian decent; my grandparents came from Kiev.

Best to you,

Jerry

Hello David..

The best to you for a new year without any problems.  Good to hear from you.  Looks like Cutty Sark is in good shape these days.

Miss you

Best,

Jerry

Congratulations, Jerry, she certainly graces the space very nicely.  An excellent job on a fine ship.

Your comment about abandoning the practicum too late resonates with me.  It was very useful to me in building up the frame and hull of my first wooden model, but it held me back when working on the deck furnishings.  If I had it to do again...

The Red Ensign looks very nice - I may contact the same source when I get to that point.

Well done!

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Hello Bob,

It was very nice of you to visit my log and pay the compliments you did.  I certainly appreciate what you had to say.  I have visited your log and am very impressed with the detail you have chosen to exercise and your model looks great.  As I have said in the past, the practicum has its value but turned a very fine scale model into a beginner's build.  When I first looked at the kit plans i thought to myself that here's a model with beautiful detail if one chooses to take one's time and complete  the project with care.  Choosing to follow Bob Hart's practicum is one way  (leave out much of the detail)... or build like you have, the complete way.

Thanks again for what you have said and the best to you on completing your Bluenose.

Jerry

• 1 month later...

Hello again everyone...

I'm not sure if I'm posting this question in the right place but I couldn't figure out where to do this.   We may be moving out of state and that means shipping our models.  I shiver when i think of the delicate handling that is necessary but my biggest concern is how to pack or crate my several ship models for the move.  I hope someone sees this and has some idea as to go about this.  perhaps I need to post this in another area in the forum.  Can anyone help me out?

Many thanks,

Jerry

Greetings young man

It's me!!!!! Have a look at admiralty shipmodels. They box up and deliver their own completed models. They show their simple way for the buyer to collect. They also deliver with their secure and customized packaging, and you can contact them. They say they will send you details of their optimized and customized packaging. And they use UPS when they send their own products. So how they do it might help. I can give some good ideas I have, but I know you will only shout at me, Regards DAVID

Edited by Shipyard sid

I wish I could help Jerry..........my only experience with shipping / moving {if you plan on using UPS,  that is}  met with minor damage,  because some yahoo let it get caught on the belt.   I usually move my boats by car,  boxed up with styro-protection.   I don't want to even think of moving now.........several wood models and about a dozen or so plastic  :o     we're going to one day soon  {I just know it}..........

so where ya mov'in........some place warm  {as if Florida wasn't good enough}  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hello David...

very nice to hear from you.  I appreciate your advise and will look into it.  

Right now I'm thinking about a very simple method that some of my fellow club members have used successfully in the past.   They secure their model to a working cradle and secure the cradle to a large board.  Then they secure the entire structure to the floor of a van so it can't move and drive the ship model to their destination.  No covers, no wrapping...Just the free standing model on the floor of the van.  I believe I'll do the same thing with all of my models.  I'll be driving a distance of about 700 miles so I anticipate an overnight drive with a stop at a motel for the one night.  Right now I'll be loading about five or six models in the van.  This won't happen until late spring or summer but i'm collecting ideas now.  I'll be wrapping the acrylic display covers for shipping and the movers will handle those.  

Many thanks again old friend.

Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello Peter...

it was very nice of you to visit my log and to send me the picture of your "bundle."  As I mentioned above,  I'll probably drive the models myself as I believe I trust myself more than any shipper.  Thanks again and Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello Popeye...

We just listed our house today.  We are planning to move to the north-west corner of South Carolina to a place called, Keowee Lake.  (Google Keowee Lake, S.C.  )  

Charlene and I visited there about 10 days ago and we were very impressed.  The winters, although not tropical as where we live now, are very mild.  When we were there, Feb 3-6 the afternoon temperatures were in the mid 60's to 70's F.  We will be living next to the lake and anticipate buying a small pontoon boat so we can go fishing the rest of my life.  One can go boating and fish year round as the lake never freezes.  Charlene really wants a change in environment, one with  lakes, hills and plenty of trees.  As she puts it,  "I want to drive over bumpy roads."  She's Nuts...

I may even try to build another ship model.  Charlene once again has forked over her Nina to me and asked me to finish it.  I may do that and I may not.

I hope you are well and offer my best regards,

Jerry

hi Jerry..........that's not nutz!    I was born and raised out in the sticks.......bumpy roads,  dirt roads,  and logging roads were how we got around.   I miss the farm life.......very demanding and busy........but I still found time to go fishing  ;)   we'd go to the town dump,  where I would pick up old broken bicycles,  and from the parts,  I'd build my own.   one fond memory was my habit of skipping out to go fishing.......I hid a bike at the bottom of the long driveway to our house.   seeing my opportunity one day,  I dug some worms and skipped off.........only to find that my dad had found my bike and chained it to a tree!    he was waiting for me when I came back up....big 'ole smile on his face,  and we commenced to digging up the water lines from the well  :(

my admiral had the same dream.......we talked about it here and there.   I could transfer to a Wal-Mart DC down there, and the only thing left would be to find a place to live.   it's still in the dream phase.   I wish you well in finding your nirvana.......while it may be a drive to get to places of civilization,  the piece of mind you'll receive and the serenity of the land,  will more that compensate it  ;)   I envy you two  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello again Popeye...

What a sweet reply for which I sincerely thank you.  

Now don't get me wrong, I moved to Florida from the 'sticks."  Before I lived in Naples I lived on a small farm outside of Fayetteville Arkansas.  This was the country indeed. All the things you mentioned, dirt roads.. logging roads, etc.. We  bought 38 acres of land and built it up from nothing.  We built our home, our barn, our pastures, our corral and a nice pond.  I must admit i enjoyed riding the tractor every day; it was a lot of fun...We had a couple of young horses to break in, 10 calves, 2 dogs and 2 cats.  Oh yeah...and plenty of bumpy roads.  The "nuts" part mainly refers to the fact that in the new environment sweaters and jackets will be back in vogue.  That,  along with uprooting an old man with all his belongings.  I appreciate your envy and I suppose in the long run walking to my little boat every day will give me time to recall the happy happenings of my past and if that walking time isn't enough I'm sure the time with spinning rod in hand will provide any memories I may have missed.  What bothers me most is the thought of packing for the move. Charlene, God love her, has said not to worry about that 'cause she'd take care of everything...and you now what, she will!  So, the current house been up for sale for the past two days and now we'll see what happens.  Oh yeah, don't envy us, come and see us.

Have a great weekend.

Jerry