Willie L Bennett by SWOHammer (Rob Kallman) - Model Shipways - Scale 3/8" - First Build

Rob, if you have some basic wood carving knifes or gouges or even some small [miniature] block planes (similar to the Veritas micro planes from Lee Valley or even the small ebony wood miniature planes) you can start shaving the clunker blocks down. Start as Thistle points out at the bow and work towards the stern. Set the plane to remove the smallest chip you can. Work slowly.  You can also use a Dremel with one of their drum sander attachments - start at a low RPM speed and increase as you get comfortable. Start at the outer edge and work it inward, rough shaping as you go.  If you aren't comfortable, take a scrap block of wood the same dimension and practice off model till you get the feel for it. Work slowly and take small increments of wood off.

I didn't have to deal with the clunkers on mine because silly me forgot to read the booklet instructions and planked the entire hull bottom - had to finesse the bow a bit when I realized my mistake but it all came out okay.

I use this Lee Valley block plane as well as this one (item A in the picture)

Hope this helps.

Rob,

In addition to the great advice above, you will want to keep your cutting tools SHARP. There are as many ways to sharpen a tool as there are builders so I wont get into THAT discussion, but a strope by your work station will keep your tools in top form as you work and reduce the amount of time you spend sharpening. As you are carving keep in mind that your wood will want to split along the grain. I like to think of the cutting as either up or down hill, wherever possable try to cut down hill so if the wood does split off it splits in an area you will be removing next. If you DO have to cut "uphill" make a series of stop cuts, that will help control the breakage.

Here are a couple of links that may help explain if I didnt explain properly.

Down hill planing, about halfway down the page there are some illustrations that may help:

http://stl1.wgcinc.com/jeff/wwi.nsf/655664e57de40eff86257aae007999a4/8adf5eef6611dfed862579de0045ae93?OpenDocument

Stop cut:

http://www.lsirish.com/tutorials/woodcarving-tutorials/woodcarving-fundamentals-techniques/basic-cuts-and-carving-tips/stop-cut-in-relief/

Have fun!!

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Rob I just realized where you live. I used to live in Portsmouth RI and worked at Raytheon. At that time (Vietnam era) it was called Submarine Signal Division. I worked in electronics design of surface to sub surface sonar systems. At that time the destroyer fleet was stationed there and I got on base to play ball and dine at the officers club. I also worked on the sono-bouy program at General Dynamics in Rochester NY. Now that was long ago and far away but recently we visited Bristol. Love that town!

I still chuckle about the time there, as we lived in a small apartment complex with 3 Navy families; an Annapolis grad, an enlisted "swabby" and a Great Lakes grad. It was a hoot.

Joe

Joe,

I, too, am a product of Great Lakes.  I graduated from boot camp there in early 1989.  I remember living in an apartment in Alameda, CA; three or four of us at any given time crammed into a two-bedroom apartment.  The only redeeming quality about the place is that it was only a couple of blocks from all of the bars.

Current Build (going to take me awhile...can't wait to retire from Active Duty!!) - however, the hiatus is over so the shipyard is opening!:

MS Willie L. Bennett 1:32 - Build Log

Next Builds:

MS Phantom

MS Dapper Tom

MS 18th Century Longboat

MS Bluenose

MS Rattlesnake

If I Gain the Experience and Talent:

Syren

USS Constitution

Rob

This is something that just came to mind after which I will stop living in the past and stick to modeling. You may find this amusing. One of my last gasps at Raytheon was to work on a proposal to install a hydrophone array to improve torpedo test firing data collection. The preface to the RFQ related that during early days of WWII they used to fire the torpedoes off a stationary platform and have men in row boats down range,with lanterns, signal the torpedoes' passage. It worked poorly as you can imagine. In part because of the poor data collection methodology and also  the torpedoes were of their own mind about the path they would take. It wasn't until,I believe, the Mark IV (?) came along that we had parity with Japanese weaponry. Boy were we in trouble early on.

I too did my boot camp up in Great Lakes. That was all the I spent there though as I was a Seabee and had my additional training in Ft. Leonardwood Mo. beforegoing to Monterey Ca. and eventually Port Hueneme. As I had boot through the winter I mostly just remember being cold and having to shovel snow. Basically the same things I do during winters here in Ks. ;)

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

• 6 months later...

• 3 months later...

Fellow Shipwrights!!

It has been ages since I posted an update, and slightly less than that since I finally got back to work on my model.  It's amazing how a many "real life" events bumped my time for this endeavor.  Nevertheless, I finally gained the courage to apply the chisel to the chunks and I shaped the bow of the Willie.  Practiced and practiced on blocks before I was happy with my nascent chisel abilities.  I'm still very unskilled.  Thank goodness for filler.  and paint.  repeat.  After that, I finished up the hull structure, filled in the holes, low spots, sanded the hell out of it, and finally pulled it off the mold!!  After that, followed the instructions and installed temporary braces until I built the strong backs and the knees.  Also got the knight heads cut and sanded.  Looks much different when you can HOLD it and not just look at the bottom of the ship.  Now working on the framing.  At least I'm back at it and making progress.  Happy to be back!  You all have been doing fantastic work while I've been away!

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

Current Build (going to take me awhile...can't wait to retire from Active Duty!!) - however, the hiatus is over so the shipyard is opening!:

Next Builds:

MS Phantom

MS Dapper Tom

MS 18th Century Longboat

MS Bluenose

MS Rattlesnake

Syren

USS Constitution

Well done indeed! She is looking good and i think it is safe to say that we all owe wood filler a lot with regards to making our builds look good. ;)

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, Tigersteve said:

Room for one more on this one?

Steve

Welcome aboard, shipmate!

Next Builds:

MS Phantom

MS Dapper Tom

MS 18th Century Longboat

MS Bluenose

MS Rattlesnake

Syren

USS Constitution

36 minutes ago, WSparrowHood said:

It's looking good.  Here's where my 'current' build of the Willie now stands.  I use the work current very loosely because it been in that 'current' state for about 15 years as life and family got in the way of completion.  However, I'm retired now and am committed to completing it before the end of the year. 

Skipjack.JPG

That's incredible!  Not only that you've persevered, but that it is still in great shape and looks FANTASTIC!  I wish you all the best on you finishing it.  I hope you have a build log so we can see your progress (hint, hint); if you do, can you share the link?

Next Builds:

MS Phantom

MS Dapper Tom

MS 18th Century Longboat

MS Bluenose

MS Rattlesnake

Syren

USS Constitution

• The title was changed to Willie L Bennett by SWOHammer (Rob Kallman) - Model Shipways - Scale 3/8" - First Build