Stag by Jim Lad - Scale 1:96 - English Revenue Cutter of 1827 - Finished

Hi Augie, and why not - it makes "cents" to me :)  - sorry mate, couldn't help it.

John, many thanks.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

For someone whom lost his images ... you are doing rather well. It seems you had to rebuild her from the start to get these on screen ;)

It would really have been a loss if this build log would not have reappeared

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Now that's better John!  it seems that Stag is properly home now.  Thanks for taking the trouble to re-post your wonderful work - there are many of us who admire and learn from it.

Cheers,

Thank you, John.  It just feels better to know she's here.

Exquisite.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

it is good John,  that you put the pictures back up.......no matter the order.   It was the content of this build,  that made her so special.  now there will be no more questions,  as to how she became so beautiful.......superb work,  my friend!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi John,

Great build. I have been one of those who watch from outside of the ring.

I have question as to the Stag. She was  a Cutter by build and appears to have a clinkered hull. In my observations Sloops are similar in nature and build to a cutter. a difference I am seeing is the difference between the two the texture of the hull Cutter being a clinker planked and sloop being smooth planked. Is this a fair observation and does it hold true?

Dale

Dale,

The Stag is actually carvel built.  Although a lot of early cutters were clinker hulled, the plans for the Stag show her very clearly as being carvel.

In theory, the difference between a cutter and a sloop (bearing in mind that in the 18th century a sloop could also be a small three masted ship) was that the cutter had a running bowsprit while the sloop had a fixed bowsprit, however in practice the terms seem to have been used rather loosely.

Falconer (Marine Dictionary 1780) lists a cutter as a sloop rigged vessel used in the south of England by smugglers and by the customs service.

John

Thanks for the pictures,John.  Now we are back up to speed and waiting for the new work.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Just adding to the chorus. I'm delighted you could re-post as yours is a build I was following avidly.

Tony

wonderful work John......I look forward in seeing more progress.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

John - I must confess, I had not seen this log prior to the MSW upgrade. and now I wish that wasn't so. I noticed that you and I are both building ship that are in approx. the same decade. Can you share with me the plans for your Windlass?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Great I think I can use these. Can I ask how did you make the drum and the gears?

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

You have a good point - Would chain be proper for a for a ship of this period?

Elia - thanks for your support, mate!

Druxey - the plans were taken off by the Royal Navy in 1839 and I think are the most detailed I have ever seen.  As far as I'm aware, chain cables were first used in 1808 and Augustus Earle's painting 'View of the Midshipmen's quarters on biard a ship of war 1820' shows a chain cable.

Floyd - See comment above re chain cables.  I'm modelling Stag in mid career (hence 6 guns - she started life with either 2 or 4) so chain is, I think appropriate.  The windlass barrels and drum ends were rounded by hand (square; taper; eight sided; round) and the 'waisting' put in with a half round file.  The gears are discs of wood with the gears filed in.

John