For Beginners -- A Cautionary Tale

I started building plastic airplane models as a kid. I wish I had all of them back now so I could attend to some very important attention to detail. I get it now.

Anyway, I have been building scratch built models for about 25 years. My first was a sunfish. This was particularly easy and a great introduction as the boat is basically flat.  I used photos and measurements from a family sunfish. Even though it was generally easy  - and I would recommend this as a starting point for a model virgin- there were some challenges in the project. I needed to learn some simple metal bending and shaping to get the pintles gudgeons and cleats.

Since then I have learned that I like to build from scratch.  I have begun a few kits, but find I like to figure things out for myself. 

So I think that part of what beginners need to assess is: do they want to do a kit or scratch build. Both choices require a learning new skills.  Both can be enjoyable and rewarding.

As far as unfinished projects - I don't worry. It seems to me that often the stopping of  project is you mind needing to think things through.  An example.  I discovered the Sonder class boats that competed off of Marblehead Massachusetts in up until the 1930's. I had seen an article in Woodenboat magazine about the building of 2 new boats.  I wanted to build one.  

In the first year, I made the plans. Left them fora year. I needed to think about the right materials.  When I began the work, I got the hull and deck completed in about 5 weeks.  I left the project for a bit - partly because I was very happy with how it looked at that point.  It took me a year or so to come across the right wood for the spars. I completed the boat all the way to being able to step the mast. BUT......  I could not figure out how to make the masthead fitting for the backstay.  I worked and was not satisfied for a month on various solutions.  At that point I became frustrated. Most of you know the negative impact of frustration. I put the boat down and did not touch it for 2 years. Yes, I periodically looked at it, and thought about it.  I figure my brain needed to work it out. Which it did. One day, I just sat down and made the part, and finished the model a week later. My mind just needed the time to mull it over.   This has happened to me on multiple occasions.  Typically it is due to learning a new skill or approach. I get to a level of frustration that I need to back away and left my brain settle.

So, my advice is don't worry about unfinished models ( I currently have 4 ). They will come together when you are ready.  Work on a couple, learn new skills and new things and then you will be able to apply them to older unfinished models. 

Remember,   We all basically got into this hobby for the challenge and fun of making something.  I can only hope that my future models will look as good as the ones I see and appreciate  here. 

Current build:  Akbar a boat yard tug

In Process: Sandbagger

In process: 14 foot catboat

On Hold:  Nobska  the last steamship to operate Cape Cod and Islands

Completed: Catboat Flash

Completed:  Herreshoff NY 30

Completed: Rhodes 19 ( Oday version)

Completed: Sonderclass Fima

Completed: Maine Shrimp Boat

Completed: Palmer Scott Woodpussy

Completed: Fantail launch

• 4 weeks later...

I had a long break on my model (because other things took precedent) and I was beginning to feel guilty because I have said many times I will finish it.  Then I read others who are far more accomplished than I can ever dream to be had taken long sabbaticals on a model they started, some for many years.  But they always go back to finish.  You never fail until you stop trying.    

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, willz said:

my victory started in 2007, love it hate it and all the bits in between 

Will

Feel for you started mine 2013 on the final page of the rigging was making too many mistakes working too fast. Started another build and am going back and forth sometimes you just need a break. Think of what you will have when completed it will be worth the effort. Good Luck.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

• 3 months later...
On 23 June 2016 at 11:16 AM, Malcolm Greig said:

In 1987 I brought Artesania Latina's Endeavour. It was well beyond my ability and knowledge. No internet to help back then of course. It ended up in the parts bin one third poorly built. 25 yrs later I started Caldercraft's Mars. Nice kit. I'm rigging it at the moment. With this forum's resources I've had no  problems I could not solve or fix. I'll finish it.

My ambition is to build Chris Watton's Victory (if it is ever released), as a retirement project. But I know I'll have to get a few builds under my belt before I buy a kit like that.

I support the moderator's advice.  If I had started with a smaller less complicated build in 1987 I may have had a house full of finished model ships by now. 

Anyway that's my view. I'm pleased to have returned to the hobby.. I'll post a picture when the Mars is finished.  I think I'm just too slow at present with working full time to do a build log justice.   

Malcolm 

• 2 weeks later...

I love this thread. I appreciate the concerns for a novice like myself in the OP. Thank you for posting and for the posts of all who have commented since.

It might be a touchy subject to address, because a “beginner” is difficult to define. Some of the comments have been fascinating. It seems as though many have taken this to mean first time wooden model ship builders alone. Certainly these folks are beginners, in a sense. But many of these “beginners” actually had/have substantial experience in either modeling, woodworking, or practical sailing. While these beginners will certainly need to acquire and develop new skills, they already possess a skill set and vocabulary knowledge far and above someone who is totally new to modeling, woodworking, and things nautical. There are beginnners and BEGINNERS.

For sure, there are people who will make an attempt at this hobby and find that it just isn’t for them. Who knows. I might be one of them. I haven’t even started my first build yet. What would be a pity is the hobby losing those who might have enjoyed and excelled at building wooden ship models had it not been for (fill in the blank).

As a BEGINNER, I might be able to shed some light on what seems to be missing in the marketplace for beginners...or if not misssing, hard to find. I have spent countless hours at my local hobby shop, reading, watching YouTube videos, searching the Internet, and since yesterday, reading on this site. This is what I think would be helpful:

First, a clear consensus on what constitutes a BEGINNER kit. Not a first time wooden ship kit for someone with 30 other models under their belt. Or twenty years of woodworking experience. A true beginner kit.

Second, a guide as to what tools are necessary to have the best opportunity for enjoyment and success of the first build. Must have tools, both in function and quality.

What would be cool is a Ship Building Academy. You buy a kit...maybe a model canoe, or a Sunfish. Instructions written at a Fifth Grade reading level. Clear and concise. With all the tools necessary for the build. High quality stuff. The idea would be this is the first build of (hopefully) many. The second kit in the series builds on the first. Refining skills learned in the first kit, learning new ones. And new high quality tools with instructions on their use for the new skills. Reading material on the historical significance of these early kits (as someone early on posted as a suggestion in this thread) would be a beautiful compliment to the process. Breaking it down into manageable chunks...both from a learning and financial investment perspective...would be very appealing and helpful for a BEGINNER, IMO. If it turns out this hobby just isn’t for you, you aren’t out hundreds of dollars and months of frustration. If it is, you’ve accumulated tools that you can use your entire hobby life...both actual tools and skill set tools.

I’ve seen some that market practicums around the premise of the relative ease of the proposed builds, but not so much on the tool recommendations.

I will start my first kit after I officially receive it for Christmas: the Artesania Latina “Swift”.  I don’t fear making mistakes along the way, per se. But I do have a concern that either the clarity of the instructions or trying to work with inferior or improper tools will so taint the experience that I get frustrated and give up. Like trying to perform intricate surgery with a chainsaw or chop down a tree with a scalpel. I might not have any clue there is a better tool for a given job or that I’m even using the wrong tool. A hobby is supposed to be fun, right?

We’ll see...

As you said, everyone's skill set is different so things are hard to quantify.  My first wooden kit I bought was Billing's Wasa.  Big mistake so I put it away and started off with one of those small cannon kits with bulwark.  Next came AL's Scottish Maid which I made lots of mistakes (and this was before MSW or other such sites existed).  Then I attacked the Wasa.  Made a few mistakes, took a long time to sort things out and all with a basic hand tools. 

It's basically a blind growth process.  Everyone's starting point and starting skills are different.  Maybe there would be a market for a school type program but with everyone's starting point being different, that creates a problem.  

Do the Swift and be sure to open a build log.  Spend time here reading.  Look and study the build logs for the Swift on similar models.  Above all, have some fun and don't give up.  The log here will get you help if you find you're in over your head.   This road we travel is what we make of it.   

Anyway, that's my $.02 and it's worth what you paid for it.  If it helps.. then that's great.  If not, maybe someone can offer better advice.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Zuko,

You and I are in the same situation.  I'm preparing for my first build, and it'll be -- the AL Swift.

There is a tremendous amount of information on this site, and in addition, it's linked to the Database of Articles and Downloads.

Click this link:

http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-modeling-articles-and-downloads.php

There are lots of articles in the various categories including Tools and Materials, Planking, Rigging, etc.

I'm depending on those, plus the help freely offered by other members if you do a build log, to overcome the mediocre instructions that come with the kits.

And when I get started, I'll start a build log.

Richard

Zuko, your concerns were pretty much addressed in every way by the old Midwest Products line of kits. They spelled out exactly what tools were needed to complete a kit, and their instructions were exhaustive. They were also classified by skill levels from 1-4. They were nearly foolproof kits. Fortunately, there's still a good number of them floating around in cyberspace in case anyone is interested. As for the rest of the "beginners" kits out there, they run the gamut from really well-designed with the beginner in mind to "you gotta be kidding me." Doing one's diligence with regards to pre-purchase research is key, and happily there are a lot more quality resources online these days (such as MSW) than there were not so long ago. The AL Swift has a good completion rate among beginning builders, so you have as good a shot as anybody at finishing it. Good luck ... and yes, it is supposed to be fun!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thank you all for the words of encouragement and support. I’m continuing to pour over this site. I’m actually very excited about my build...even to the point of thinking about my potential second build. I’ll probably start a build log...maybe we can build together, at least at the start, Altduck.

Mark, I’ve seen a number of your comments on threads I’ve viewed. Thanks for chiming in.

And Chris, I really appreciated your cautionary tale. To me, it rang very true. I might check out the Midwest kits, although after reading the thread on pirated material, I’m a bit leary about eBay or Amazon.

• 3 months later...

i think this is probably one of the best exchanges of ideas i have read on this site. Each modeler has expressed their personal views & experiences in this craft that are truly enlightening and inspiring. I've been modeling since the early 1960's as a teen (model cars, some of which I still have and display) but in the middle seventies, on a trip to the Smithsonian, in Washington D.C., I saw a huge display of model wooden ships for the first time. I was mesmerized; I'd never seen anything like it. Right then & there I knew that some day, I had to build one. 

Then in the mid 1980's, I took my girlfriend (now my wife) to the NY South Street Seaport Museum. Again, model wooden Ships. I told her that one day I wanted to build a model ship. For my 35th birthday, she gave me Model Shipways PHANTOM. I didn't build it until 1995, why... I was overwhelmed! It looked so complicated. Then, one night, I took the hull & plans out of the box and studied everything. I looked at it as a challenge and figured, if I could plastic model cars and make my own parts, why couldn't I build the PHANTOM?

I visited the hobby shop, found and later subscribed to SHIPS IN SCALE Magazine & learned about books, the NRG and discovered the LONG ISLAND SHIP MODEL SOCIETY. I joint the cub and learned from all sorts of fellow modelers about tools and this "trade." I realized then, with their help , criticism, advice & encouragement, that I could realized my dream...that I could build model ships like those in the Smithsonian. It became a passion; one of the most rewarding accomplishments so many folks walk away from out of frustration.

This craft, in my view, takes, research, encouragement, practice, loads of time but most of all, perseverance; so to you newcomers...NEVER GIVE UP...YOU CAN DO IT.

TMAN

Current Build: Model Shipways, EAGLE 

Completed Models: Model Shipways PHANTOM

Boucher Models, Henry Hudson's HALF MOON

GERTRUDE L. THEBAUD

Note: All solid hull models

• 8 months later...

i found it ironic to come across this topic , as i am potentially one of those statistics , and i agree with the main theme of your comment about being over enthusiastic when you start ,  i have recently started building the hms  victory  billings kit , and yes i am an idiot for doing so , but  3 months in and still enjoying it , buying little extras , trying to interpret  the 'non instructions ' ( i think thats a positive though as us blokes are not too good at instructions anyway ),but  what i have found is that  not having much modelling experience beforehand has made me do a lot of research at every stage ,and study a lot of others builds and you tube videos .i also take a lot of pride in what i have got right, so when i get into a bit of difficulty i realise that others can do it, so its just a case of finding the solution , but as you say many others have been that enthusiastic when they start  , i will probably put up a build log (for better or worse) , because any kind of feedback will be helpful from more experienced shipbuilders , so we will have to see how we progress 

Just remember, Jeff, that there are two components of any completion ratio data set: those who don't finish, but also those who do. We do occasionally see some of the latter, so keep at it, and hopefully we'll see you join that select group.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Jeff,

Just a gentle nudge to do a build log. Also I also see in the Index that there's 8 unless I miscounted Billings kits, with one completed.

Index is here (pick the ship kits):  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gidday Jeff.

For every problem there is a solution. When one cannot find a solution the group, the people on this forum, usually can. When frustration or doubt creep into your build take a break and look for inspiration in others builds. I hope this makes sense.

All the best for your build.

Mark.

I have to say that the reason I undertake this hobby/craft is to escape the pressure and B/S of everyday "modern" living.

Finish or not finish..... I will put a boat on the shelf if I am not happy that I can complete the next stage competently and take it up again when I am confident of a reasonable result.

If one has to struggle  to complete a model within a defined period or to a defined standard( aside from those constraints one imposes on oneself) one might call the whole thing" work".......thus negating the therapeutic value of the exercise,,,

Anyway ,my two bobs worth.

See ya at the boat yard.

thanks for your support guys , its much appreciated ,and your comments  make a lot of sense ,of course yes it is a hobby after all and is something we do because we choose to,  taking a break and not' throwing your toys out of the pram ' is especially sound advice , which i have learned in other areas of work etc , i have to say i am quite lucky in that i have my own dedicated space to build , and just close the door after me when ive had enough  for the day , and then just go back to the devastation ive left in the room  with a fresh veiw on the issue ,,  going back to the original post about builds not getting finished , i d like to add to the reasons , i think that having your own dedicated room for it makes a huge difference , as your not having to clear up your tools etc everytime you work , which is why i didnt start the hobby until my kids grew up and  cleared off out of the way and left me a bit more space in the house and a bit of time of my own . and seeing others build logs,  not putting a timescale on the build is paramount 

• 2 weeks later...

Just joined and want to say I agree with a lot of you here. I don't plan a posting a build log, but I do plan on reading a lot. I've been building models for 50 years but still consider myself a beginner. I've attempted two of the 1:96 scale Constitutions years ago. Not sure what happened to the first(too many years ago) and another in my late 20's. Cat liked the second one. Cat lived, but the model didn't. Most of my other modeling was Star Trek and Star Wars related. Model Shipways Rattlesnake will be my first wooden ship, to be followed by my last Constitution build. Rattlesnake( I know, too elaborate, but it's already bought) will be my intro into POB and the Constitution because it's the baddest ship we built. It's the epitome of Americanism. I have no interest in building most of the others out there. If I were 30 or 40 years younger I might, but this is something I've wanted to do for years and now that I'm nearing retirement, I'll now have time - I hope.

I've been a woodworker most of my life and so I have most of the tools I need so that's not an issue. I have a lot of the skill sets I need as well. Now to find out if I still have the patience. :)

Leonard

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Joel Sison said:

Good evening. How do I join?

If you posted this, they you are now a member.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 months later...

Here is something I wrote a while back but thought it might be helpful and it falls right into this topic:

Philosophy for being a great Model Crafter
by: John R. Callahan

The person I am talking to in this discussion is the person that really wants to accomplish the absolute best job that they can do in crafting a high-quality scale model. This article is not about technique, it is about the philosophies of APPROACH, DISCIPLINE, ATTITUDE, and PATIENCE. I will discuss each of these aspects of model building and the reasoning for mastering each. I will then follow up with simple rules to be followed to make your model turn out exactly the way you want it to.

APPROACH – They say, “Everything is in the approach” and they are right! What IS your expectation of the build? You must decide at the beginning what your approach and expectation is going to be. To build the absolute best model YOU can build, you will need to make a real COMMITMENT to the highest level of detail and quality possible and stick with it…...no matter what! We are going to assume you are aiming for the greatest level of detail and quality possible and are willing to make this commitment. You will need a dedicated approach. If you are not totally enthusiastic and dedicated to the project, then don’t bother. You will only do your best if you honestly want to.

DISCIPLINE – Discipline is probably the most important aspect to a good build. You must always, and I mean always follow the rules that you have pre-determined when you’ve made the decision to build a particular model. You will see more about discipline in the rules. If you are determined to build the best, do not settle for less…..ever.

ATTITUDE – The term “attitude is everything” is probably one of the biggest truths in everything you do in life. Building a quality model more than anything requires a good attitude and attitude re-adjustment from time to time. Things will often go in a way you did not intend, and sometimes there will be outright disasters. How you react and handle the inevitable problems will be determined by your attitude. If you break something or make a mistake, are you going to throw things across the room, smash your model, give up? Or are you going to grab ahold of yourself, step back and calmly correct things? Please keep this in mind, when you build a model, you are building a “prototype” a “one off”. Nothing is ever going to go perfectly, so get over it, fix it, and move on. Do not wallow in frustration.

SIMPLE RULES:

1. THINK THINGS OUT BEFORE YOU BUY – Why are you building this model? There can be many legitimate reasons. Just make sure at the end of the day that your reasons to build this model are good ones and that you are willing to spend as much time and money as necessary to complete the model properly no matter what it takes. Can you afford the kit or parts and all of the supplies necessary to complete the build as well as a protective case to display it in? You will need that protective case to protect that investment that can run into some serious money.

2. PLAN – Make sure you have adequate time in your busy life before you begin, and if the build takes much longer than you anticipated, are you willing to stick with it? When will you have time? You might be up late at night. More nights than you care to imagine. If you are motivated to build your model, this will happen more often than you might think.

3. RESEARCH – Well if you got past rules 1 and 2, let’s keep going. Research is the most important thing you can do be become a great model craftsman. You can’t build a great model of anything if you don’t fully understand the subject. To build a great model car, you need to understand cars. To build a great Period Ship, you should know how a period ship works and all of the history around it. If I were building a visible Heart, I’d be reading every medical book on hearts I could find. Do you see where I’m going? The educational aspect of model building can be one of its greatest rewards. It nice to learn something and have a practical example sitting right next to you!

4. DON’T BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT – So don’t bring a dull pocket knife to a sharp Exacto knife job. You need to invest in all of the proper tools to do the job. If you are not willing to do this, your results will be questionable at best. Fortunately, you can get away with a lot less tools that you might thing you need to do a good job, and I’ll bet there’s a few you should have that you probably don’t even know you need. Most of the tools you need will be fairly inexpensive and can be used for purposes other than modelmaking.

5. SUPPLIES – Realize you could spend 2 to 5 times on the price of your kit to get the proper supplies to finish the kit properly. If you are not willing to do this, then don’t build the kit. Between Paints, primers, sandpaper, different glues, Exacto Knives and blades, masking tapes, micro drills, big drills, scissors, snippers, Decals, Threads, wires, small accessories, it all adds up really quickly. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

6. TIME AND SPACE – Please don’t build your model on your Dining Room Table. You might wind up sleeping alone. Your family needs you to respect their space if you want them to respect yours, and you will want a safe, quiet place to build your model where the cat won’t steal the parts! Also, remember your model might take years to build or even (yes) over 1000-2000 hours to build. You have to remember you have a family to balance your available time with. You really should discuss the idea of building a model with your family before you make the commitment, so you are being thoughtfully courteous of everyone around you.

7. STAY ON TASK – Plan your every move and mentally rehearse those moves over and over so that when you take that step on the build, you will feel comfortable and prepared, and most importantly relaxed when you take that step. NOTE: Do not jump around step to step out of order when building out of being anxious or excited. Finish the task at hand before you move on.

8. BE PATIENT- I know it’s tough, but glues and paints only dry so fast. All you’ll do by not waiting long enough is re-doing the job or possibly ruining the job and having a costly or impossible repair in front of you.

9. IF IT DOESN’T LOOK RIGHT, IT ISN’T- Stop and fix it now and don’t move on until it looks as perfect as you can get it. No exceptions, no excuses!!! Treat every part of the model like it is a model…...which is the truth. If you have a good overarching idea of what you are doing but a compartmentalize and isolate each step or operation, you will achieve better results.

10. PACE YOURSELF – This is not a race or a competition. Only go as fast as you feel comfortable going, and if you get frustrated, step away from it for a few hours, days, or even weeks if necessary. If you are not positively motivated to do the work, you will do a poor job. Give yourself a mental vacation every once in a while.

There’s obviously a lot more to model making but a good Model Building Philosophy is a great place to start. Good Luck!

Comments welcomed!

Thanks John, saved for when frustration starts to overcome the fun.

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

• 3 weeks later...

The very first warning on this thread by Chris is so true.

I now find myself a victim of this.

I am not ashamed but grateful that I have learnt from these words now and not persisted with something that I inwardly know is wrong from the start.

Firstly I am an experienced modeller and have eye opening capabilites and have produced beautiful models and musical instruments.

But not ships or boats... and that's the point!!!

I have the skills but in order to know a skill we have to start to learn that new skill....for example planking a hull correctly!!!

I bit off more than I can chew with making a huge 6Ft 6" long RC Sailing version of Bluenose.

The challenge is too much for me.

There are so many things that are likely to go wrong with this that the whole project is destined for disaster and it will take me a good deal of time in terms of years and a lot of money to prove that I I was right in thinking it's wrong to carry on....bin it now!.

My 48 year old son is very keen for me to carry on with it but he does not fully understand the whole picture between the differences and adjustments to be made with a model verses the real thing.

False keels for example but there are lists of other things that have to be thought about when choosing a working sailing model.

I could harp on but I think I have made my point.

I will feel better to dump Bluenose entirely.

Now for the good bit which coincides with what Chris s said about making simpler models.

For the past three weeks I have been busy making two Radio controlled simple hard China models called Brando.

I have entered build logs on them on this forum.

They are almost complete!!!!...You know what?......

I have had more peace of mind, less stress and a huge helping of satisfaction and enjoyment out of making these two charmingly simple models.

They were supposed to be made from balsa wood for simplicity so I already pushed boundaries by making them from ply and beautiful hard woods.

I have just started the preparations for another RC yacht sailing model designed by a wonderful guy called Gary Web.

Gary has built his own full size yachts, is a sailor modeller and model boat designer.

I have taken his mastery and skills on board, bought the plans for another simple hard Chine yacht ( but this time bigger than Brandi a footy ) from him a nd am already enjoying making all the patterns for it from card.

I have seen this design " Emma" on several videos sailing beautifully so I know she works!!!!

The fun in boat modelling is back!!!

So to summarise.....

I have learnt my lesson.

I am taking heed of expert advise.

I am modelling now within my bounds.

The chances of success are very high.

The build will not take forever and the light can be seen at the end of the tunnel even right now.

I have learnt that KISS works.

I do want to have a go at planking a hull properly and one day hope to make a small static model of a boat like one of our forum members are building.

I now have the literature to help me and also his expertise to follow when I need help.

But I will not in future go it alone on a massive project until I am fully conversant with what it takes.

I am happy to be a humble copy cat.

Perhaps that might be a good name for my new boat!!!

Pete

That's a harsh lesson but well-learned and overall... a good thing, Pete.    I say don't abandon your 6 ft. RC yacht but when you feel ready mentally, then pick it up and you'll probably finish it.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

17 hours ago, Peter Cane said:

I was swallowed by the deep.

Pete.

Thanks for your good advice.

I will not abandon ship but shelf it until I know better what I am doing and have built a few more simpler sailing yachts with RC and winches.

If I can think of a way of lightening it, I will feel better about it.

The rudder will have to be redesigned so that it isn't angled but straight.

It will have to be a lot larger than the scale version.

How large the keel and rudder must be will be found out literally by trial and error in a swimming pool with me in it!!

I need to hit upon some kind of electric tool that will grind/ saw/ hack away the vast majority of the bulkhead and keel after the hull is planned.

Pete

Good plan.  Maybe make the first model without the RC?  It would be one less thing to stress out over.   

As for grinding, sawing,   i guess it depends on how much you have to remove.  The do make very small hand held jig/scroll saws that might do the trick.  And many are under $20 US.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

I read the first post from Chris, and felt he was looking over my shoulder.  I've built a couple solid hull ships, only completed two of the many I've started.  That was in my younger days when work and family intervened and time was precious.  Now I'm retired, and actually do have some time on my hands.  Day before yesterday I saw a Model Shipways Fair American on "Offer Up" for $50 and the old visions of building a great model came flooding back.  I met the party at a parking lot, paid my money and raced home with my new "project".  Now, two days later, I'm still looking at the model instruction book and wondering what on earth I was thinking.  I truly want to build a ship model, and display it on our mantle, but good grief, I know down deep in my heart that I've bitten off more than I can chew.

I've read many of the posts on this thread, and I'm thinking that if I'm really serious about learning this craft, even at my age, I need to put this one on the shelf and start with something a bit more simple.  I appreciate the candor with which everyone speaks, so if someone has a suggestion as to which model would  be a decent one to learn planking on, I'm all ears.