Tiny clips to hold lines

As I work on the rigging on my C W Morgan build, I find I would like to be able to clip 2 lines together preparatory to seizing them.

For instance , running a stay through an eyebolt and clipping it back on itself to hold the tension while tying the initial hitch for seizing. All of the "mini clips" I have are too big and heavy and cause the line to sag losing tension. Without three hands it's difficult at best.

Does anyone know of truly mini mini clips, or have a technique to suggest?

Get yourself a cheap fly tying vice - used to make flies for fishing. There are plenty of cheap ones available on eBay. I use mine extensively when rigging.

Steve

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Hi Bruce

I know what you are talking about, I had the same trouble with rigging lines

I don't know what they are called, I found them at either Joann Fabrics of a craft store that I shop at.

They are tiny springs with two plastic ends, you close the ends and it makes the spring form a "u" shape. The curve top part of the spring opens and you slip the lines in the open spring, then let go and the spring goes back to being straight, holding the lines.

I would think that you could just use springs with out the plastic, you  just need to make the coils of the spring open on one side. Also the spring has to be coiled tight.

If you need me to take a pic let me know.

Joe

Sounds very interesting Joe, would you mind posting a picture?

Hi, are the clips I use as shown here what you are after.  These come in various sizes and available at electronics stores and the like (as Geoff/Aussie posted).  I find them very handy as they are easy to use and very light but grip strongly.  Just take care if you have pre-wetted the line with diluted glue as it may develop a kink.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Bruce

Here are the pics of the clamps I was talking about

The little cloths pins I found at Walmart, the little red clamp are hem holding clamps from Joanns

Like I said you could use just about any springs, you would just have to open the springs with neddle nose.

You can see my wife's hand opening up the spring.

Joe

post-15201-0-20226400-1466720987.jpg

post-15201-0-80160500-1466721003.jpg

post-15201-0-43568200-1466721013.jpg

You could use electrical clips. Here is a link that has quite a few different type of clips.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Interconnect/Plugs%2C-Sockets-%26-Adaptors/Other-Connectors/c/300K

1+ on these. "Electrical test clips"

I bought a small collection and they work great!

Very light so don't cause the line to sag. Hold very strongly. With the pointy tips great for reaching into complex or hard to reach confined spaces since the actuator is remote.

Model shops should sell these! Absolutely the perfect tool for this use.

Just what I wanted and needed. Great to have this forum to get thoughtful answers to questions like this.

Edited by Bruce Evans

Zoltan,  

Thanks for those links!  That first link (mini clamps with vinyl grips) looks really interesting! I've spent hours browsing through MicroMark's stuff and never noticed those.  I've got tons different clamps and clips, but nothing like that.  Looks like they'd be really useful for holding small pieces.  Now I just need to find more stuff to buy so I can justify placing an order...  :)

Yes, I have those and use them -

I have found them heavy enough to sag some lines, and I have to get my fingers right next to the place to be clamped and they require significant force to open.

They have a place and I use them alot, but I've found these electrical clips better for holding doubled-back rigging lines taut while tying them off, and easier to place.

A matter of preference, obviously. I'm glad to have found them.

Kinda spendy at MicroMark considering its usually about $9 to ship plus the cost of the clips. Alligator clips should be found in any hardware store even Home Despot in the electrical section. Just checked online and they're $2.19 for a six pac or somethin like that. Bill

Edited by reklein

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Zoltan,

I seriously doubt those are made for this hobby.  I've seen them for years in electronics stores, etc.  A lot of times they're used with mulitmeters to clip the probes to the electrical connection being tested.   You might also check with any electrical shops in your area and see if they carry them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

post-248-0-56002800-1467045447.jpgpost-248-0-79032300-1467045473.jpgpost-248-0-33650400-1467045490.jpgwell, heres what I found at the local ACE and HD. They ARE made foe electrical use but the price is right and you can solder stuff to these. You can even make third hand units by soldering them to each end of a heavy piece of copper wire and put it in your little bench vise.   Bill in Idaho

Edited by reklein

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren