Landlubber Mike

Planking my Charles Morgan with African Blackwood - am I crazy?

Agree with Doc Blake here - my dyed Pear with Fiebings on Confederacy has looked great for its 7 years - its all top coated with Danish Oil.  I cant even comprehend the thought of trying to plank a bluff bowed ship like the Morgan with Ebony....

Ebony is very flexible at 0.5-0.7mm thickness.

Canute and mtaylor like this

as others have mentioned, exotic wood dust can be a real issue.  I make a lot of knife handles and have experienced blisters in my nose from sanding cocobolo, rosewood, bubinga, paduak, ,etc.  Even when wearing a dust mask, just enough dust/oil gets by the seal around the face to cause the problem.  Everyone has a different level of "allergic" reaction and I've found I'm pretty sensitive. I've had to put the shop vac's nozzle right up to the piece being sanded to prevent problems.  However, I'm not allergic to my wife's cats...darn!

mtaylor and Canute like this

Chuck:  I've used Trans-Tint in the past.  It generally works well.  The only drawbacks are :  1)  It is water or alcohol soluble, so application on wood can raise the grain, especially with soft woods like pine or basswood.  2)  It's a concentrate, so you add a drop at a time until you get the shade you wand.  That makes it impossible to exactly duplicate a batch after you use it up (varying size of each drop, etc.) so mix up enough beforehand to finish the job!

Canute, donrobinson and mtaylor like this