Red Dragon by riverboat - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - Chinese Junk

nice bit of progress Frank..........love the color of the doors and trim.   gives a nice antique effect.   very nice work  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Denis....... yeah it's starting to come along. I 'm hoping to get it to look a little like an old junk :D

HI Bob........ thanks for look'n in. Glad you liked the doors, they came out like I hoped they would ( for a CHANGE!!) :P

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks Denis From N.Z...... glad you like the progress, those windows really had to be changed :P. Thanks again for look'n in....

FranK

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Frank,

I just love these Chinese Junks  :)

Nice progress you have made and what proper build!

Cheers, Wim

Cheers,
Wim

Current build:
Creole Queen scratchbuild and Korean Turtle War Ship

Finished: King of the Mississippi, Bon Retour, Chinese Pirate Junk, Nave Egizia
Next builds:  Gundeck Vasa; Bounty (bashed)

Thanks Wim and Dirk........ for stopping by...... always glad to hear from both of you.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

• 2 weeks later...

Little UPDATE time....... pretty much finished up with the deck pieces....... wasn't to pleased with the wood used for the deck pieces, but

I wasn't about to make all new ones....... I do have a question that maybe some one out there might be able to answer ... in the following shots I'll point out what I'm talking about when we come to it... thanks for look'n in....

Frank

Rudder completed and attached

post-73-0-89468000-1476934835_thumb.jpg

Tiller finished

post-73-0-97357500-1476934856_thumb.jpg

capstan installed.... I didn't fully rig the guns, just a simulation :P

post-73-0-23544800-1476934877_thumb.jpg

hoops formed for the poop deck cover

post-73-0-16094200-1476934891_thumb.jpg

This picture is what I have a question for ... does any one know what  it's function is.... there are a few of these on the deck

post-73-0-93454200-1476934913_thumb.jpg

This picture shows two of the previous pictures piece. the way these two pieces are set up on the deck

leaves no room for the crew to get to the bow of the ship, I cant imagine them trying to climb over these. take a look........

post-73-0-66328100-1476935004_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-21698100-1476935039_thumb.jpg

Now this is without them.. seems they could move about a little better without them.

post-73-0-09043700-1476935067_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-80949900-1476934943_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-49712800-1476934965_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-48675600-1476934983_thumb.jpg

Thanks  again for look'n in.....

Frank

post-73-0-00796900-1476935094_thumb.jpg

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Frank.

Very nice. All the little bits of extra detail is bringing this ship alive.

I really like your deck colour. Spot on.

Well done.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Looking good, Frank.   I think those bits that you're asking about are winches or windlasses.  Check the rigging plan as they're probably used there.  I've seen them one of the other Chinese ship models.... but darned if I can remember which one...

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, probably Vivian Galad's Red Dragon :)

Frank have a look here, you will have to browse her build a bit, but the picture in the topic shows that Mark's remark was spot on

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

thinking the same Frank  ;)   the deck is getting even more busier.....really neat!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Antony.......  Thanks for stopping by ..... glad you liked the deck ... I just used Age it Easy , not the exact color I wanted but close. I have some driftwood ageing I might try on my next build , forgot I even had it or I would have used it on this one.

Hi Mark..... Thanks for that input... I see now what they are used for, but don't you think they still are in an awkward set up , blocking access to the bow??

Carl.........   Vivian's build is just awesome!!! I forgot all about hers, thanks for reminding me, and you are right , Mark was correct in his reply. Thanks again.

Hey Denis........     Yeah the deck is getting real busy, that's why I'm thinking about omitting those two winches adjacent to the main mast. May be I'll just substitute some cargo pieces, at least there will be access  to the bow. thanks again for your input.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Bob......... Yeah it's getting a little  crowded :P ........ I might loosen it up a little.... Thanks for stopping by...

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

make up a couple of fife rails.......I'm sure there were variants of the Junk.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I've seen a lot of things on ships that make me question how and why they are the way they are. I guess function was always the greater concern over comfort ease for the sailors.

Your ship sure is looking good!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Denis......  still debating whether to leave them  or add some cargo......

EJ..........    thanks for your input....I'm still undecided over function or comfort for my crew :P.... I'll see how they behave before making a decision......

frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hey Frank, she is looking great. The windlasses make for a crowded deck no doubt. I guess safety was not a priority, they probably did not even have steel toed flip flops :)  ;)

Yeah Don, you're right about that........ I'd be surprised if they had any toes at all after high jumping those things all day long!! Do you think I should leave them in or take them out????

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Myself, you already have done a great job of making them and you may need them for some of the rigging and we are always buying their junk so let them suffer and leave them in :)  :P . I think they will look good Frank.

Really beautiful work Frank.  Nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Don....... didn't think about the rigging, better leave well enough alone :P

Hi Mike.......  Thanks for stopp'n by, always like hearing from you!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Frank

Finally I found your newest piece of lovely junk - or lovely piece of junk? Foreign languages always baffle me. But not your build. It's great and again also great fun to watch in the making.

Take care

peter

Finally got caught up on your junk boat, wow! Things are looking absolutely incredible! I've found that if I make a little 'stick' man and put him on the deck once in awhile it helps me see things in perspective. I like the little windlasses and I bet if you make a stick man there's room for the little guy to run around. Great work again my friend!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Birthday Frank, I hope you are having a great day and wish you many more :piratebo5:  :cheers:  :10_1_10:  :)  :)  :)

• 5 months later...

Yes,

Hello Frank - it has been a while indeed - we miss you!

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 5 years later...

hi my name is John.  I was given the model of the red dragon from friends  at Xmas to keep me out of harms way and as a different challenge to that I have been doing recently as I have put my 10 th ship in a bottle.  As I was going through the instructions I had more questions and it is great to here the experience of others 

• The title was changed to Red Dragon by riverboat - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - Chinese Junk