Barque Stefano by donrobinson - MarisStella - 1:63

Very nice work don.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Samson: Thank you so much, you are right about the kit it is a real beauty. MarisStella takes a lot of pride in their products

David: Thanks. I can't take too much credit for the blocks as they were laser cut. All I did was to install the sheaves and shafts into the blocks

Jim: Thanks. MarisStella makes the blocks fairly easy to build

Mike: Thanks Mike and congratulations again on your completion. The decking is beech, I think it is a fine looking wood well worth having on hand

Dave: Thanks. I also have three of the sanding blocks always loaded and ready to go. Hope you are feeling better

OC: Thanks for stopping in and for your comment

You are doing a wonderful job Don. Love the wood too. When do you fit the dragon's head?:D

Ian

Don:

Your planking looks very good. Nice work. 

Russ

Ian: Thanks, good eye :D, that's a little side project I'm working on. Another MarisStella kit, just can't get enough of these!!!

Russ: Thanks so much for stopping by Russ

Really great work Don.  Love the blocks, nice job!

Any movement on your Pegasus?  I need to turn back to mine, maybe after I finish the planking on my LAR and Morgan.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hello Mike, Thanks for dropping in. Sadly I have to say the Pegasus is sitting on bench with no work being done on her. I will get back to her as soon as I finish some of my other smaller projects I have on the go.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave a closer look to Stefano... its has a very personal  line and a lot of grace!  Its also a  big model... more than a meter long. And so far it sure reflects that line and the ships grace awesomely.

christos

Edited by MESSIS

Thanks for stopping by Christos

Thank you all for stopping in, for the likes and comments.

A small update to show:

IMG_3154.thumb.JPG.ade6410d9b2678d83536322687252dd0.JPG

Carving out the bow filler block for bowsprit

IMG_3157.thumb.JPG.8e798ce923b79d8945de0cc988409b10.JPG

More carving to allow for future rigging to pass through and also anchor chains

IMG_3160.thumb.JPG.d9c169a3f37a152f36b88d0ffd28b0fa.JPG

Holes where drilled in deck for masts, this is a dry fit only. If the rake seems off compared to the plan it is only because the plan is not hung level on wall. I need a better qualified helper!!

IMG_3162.thumb.JPG.a1fe3a95bff3b59c4a43517131110238.JPGIMG_3163.thumb.jpg.13cc5f925f5903f915e1c7b68151b161.jpg

Rails where installed. These were laser cut pieces, they now need to be sanded and narrowed by about 2 mm

IMG_3167.thumb.jpg.9d4ea87fcbf3a44cde2152ad50fa5010.jpgIMG_3168.thumb.jpg.94a72d156aeee9ec275c416db20d6a2e.jpg

Showing the pieces installed under the rail (can't remember proper name now :default_wallbash:)

IMG_3192.thumb.jpg.c26d0d17354b7349237a514480ec6ce7.jpg

How he looks now with the wale installed.

Next is the top gallant rail and it's related pieces.

Have a good day

Beautiful work,  Don

Regards, David 

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

"If the rake seems off compared to the plan it is only because the plan is not hung level on wall. "

I never thought of that excuse before ;)

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

WOW  don  she is looking  superb,   so fast aswel.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi Don, back to work on Stefano, made a decision to forego the copper plating below water line and have used 5x1 mm walnut, it looks really good. Have copper plates on last build, Diana, and its a lot of work but worth, thought I would go a different route on this vessel. Looking very much forward to your working on the stern, particularly the grating and how you handle it, also having a little trouble trying to figure out the sequence and build properties of the foredeck. Will also be ordering the stanchions for aft cabin as I have no confidence in shaping or even cutting them all the same length.

Robert...........

David: Thanks so much

Mark: The filler block is mostly balsa but for some reason, I can't remember why, there was also some basswood I put in also

Mike: It's true, it's true haha! Feel free to use it anytime!!!

Messis: Yes, below the waterline will be copper plated, Thanks

OC: Thanks for stopping in

Robert: I would like to see your Stefano build, post a picture here if you want I would not mind or better yet start a log :).

Ian: hello, have not heard from you for a long time. What have you been building lately?

Hubac: Thanks so much, Good of you to drop by

Edited by donrobinson

I’m just about to start on the Cheerful carronades and started the Queen Anne Barge yesterday. Keep your amazing work up! 

• 2 months later...

None yet, I am just finishing up another project and will get back at Stefano soon. Thanks for dropping in

Don,

Just catching up - excellent as always 

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 1 month later...

I finally got the Stefano back on the bench this past week and made a little progress after a long break in progress on him. I took a short break to build the Liburnian Novilara as a little side diversion. A trip to North Carolina also used up some shipyard days but was well worth the time spent.

It took me a little while to get back into the mindset again with Stefano, in case you are thinking not much got done in a week😉.

I always feel lots of pictures helps hide the lack of work and progress, so here we go.....

IMG_3576.thumb.jpg.6bc9b66328fa133cbb34a037b4384f14.jpg

The goal last week was to  install pieces 40, 41, 42 and 43. I failed in this as I did not get the pin rails installed but they will be up next!!

The letters are showing you what colours to paint: BM=matte black, WM=matte white and WC= wood colour or varnished, poly etc.

IMG_3559.thumb.jpg.b9b1dba9d3460f72362708c495453057.jpg

First up was to bend the side stringer(40) and the top gallant bulwark(41) into shape. the side stringers are 1.5 x 4 mm strips and the top gallant bull warks are 1.5 x 5 mm strips. I gave these a light soaking in water then used a simple iron, as shown above, to bend them, The little indents on the inside of the curve are easily sanded smooth before installing.

IMG_3560.thumb.jpg.245630a0d2a2b91d4ebcb0f5443c12ec.jpg

Clamping the side stringer in place, pva glue was used to allow for positioning of the piece

IMG_3563.thumb.jpg.f7f876415de35663622b7b63c481978c.jpgIMG_3565.thumb.jpg.867008b593094c6e226d9d8aea98cf98.jpgIMG_3566.thumb.jpg.7e5fe8978e8d71ec174f556279a7dd33.jpg

Side stringers are installed and sanded, ready for painting. A little note here is that I sanded mine flush with the rail when in fact there should have been a slight overlap left. Not a big deal as everything will still work, just one of those things that happens when you leave something idle this long.

IMG_3568.thumb.jpg.bf9f2e0ca5e82d99de73bd98206e8bb7.jpg

Here you can see the top gallant bulwark has been installed. I gave it several coats of diluted acrylic paint before gluing it into position. I used thin ca for this, I would hold it in place apply glue to a few cm`s of it hold until dry then move along applying glue until the end. There really is no other way of gluing a piece this long, pva will not work as there is no way of clamping. Shorter pieces could have been used and been easier to handle  but would not have looked as good.

IMG_3573.thumb.jpg.68ab3dcfba74cf32847f79685289537d.jpg

IMG_3574.thumb.jpg.edfbd60bad597031a09394f9f25ef146.jpg

Masking the top gallant bulwark in order to paint the main rail(37)

IMG_3629.thumb.jpg.6bd773631c012788c5289d4336b0f36c.jpg

Tape removed. Here you can also see the top gallant rail is being installed. This is laser cut on a walnut billet

IMG_3631.thumb.jpg.5d3f7cc1420da82d209f0b92ece0bbd8.jpg

IMG_3651.thumb.jpg.ffa614afe0f645118b4de66043a8d99f.jpg

And here is how he sits with the top gallant rail completed.

Thanks for watching

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

Don:

Wonderful looking ship!

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Dave: Thanks so much

David: Thanks David, not going as fast as your Fly( great work by the way) but it is at least back on the bench now

Bob: Thanks Bob, I am still trying to remember what I was doing, my mind is a little slow trying to grasp what the heck is going on