Barque Stefano by donrobinson - MarisStella - 1:63

Good Morning All, I was walking down the hall yesterday and seen this guy sitting there looking lonely so I thought it was time to bring him into the workshop and do a little work.

IMG_2707.thumb.jpg.8c43425bed918cc4aa1b98ad4d51f4ee.jpg

So here is how he looked

IMG_2717.thumb.jpg.f7f3499b9cd3933159520f422854f214.jpg

Then four hours later

IMG_2722.thumb.jpg.3f0f3676c68f51c324f5668de87e4757.jpg

And here is a shot of the instruction booklet and part of the list to follow, the check marks are showing what is completed so far. Quite impressive considering this was started over a year ago. NOT!! Hopefully the pace will pick up now that my Trabakul is nearing completion.

IMG_2720.thumb.jpg.e44daa69ec21cc854fb98795fbf360aa.jpg

Have A Good One

Thanks Bob, I'm planning on giving this ship more attention, so hopefully more updates will be coming soon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Don, as I mentioned working on Stefano planking, 1st planking, found that I have to use a wood filler on certain areas, ok quite a few areas, using CA glue for planking and have found difficulty in finding a filler that CA glue will bond to. Any suggestions ??

Robert

Agassiz BC

Hi Robert. with mine I'll be using "Dap DryDex" spackling. I've never ran into a problem with any filler not adhering to ca glue, that is very interesting. When I do mine I will be covering the whole hull with the spackling compound then sand off. I find this easier than just trying to "spot" fill. So for this method the spackling works better as it spreads so much easier.

Hi Ian, Thanks for stopping in. Yes this one has sat idle too long and it's time to make some progress on him.

Good Morning All, A big Thanks for all the compliments, for stopping in and for all the likes much appreciated.

After 32 strakes and over 160 planks the starboard side is completed:). I completed this with all strakes going from stem to stern with no drop planks or stealers . The use of short planks made the job much easier to complete. Other than the sheer size of this hull it has so far been the easiest one to plank for me to date. This could have been completed much faster by not tapering the planks and just slapping on planks. But then what would you learn from that;). My process was to measure each bulkhead calculate how many strakes required and the widths of the planks at each bulkhead, After three or four strakes I would measure again then adjust as required then just repeated this until finished.

Enough of all this here are some pictures and a few explanations:

In this picture I'm showing the jig I used to keep the garboard strake straight

IMG_2723.thumb.jpg.b2080c3f86f1f566bf5e3c313d82ac47.jpg

This picture is showing the taper required on the garboard strake as there is no rabbit line

IMG_2724.thumb.jpg.046039126b6ddb974f525c30c48d85fb.jpg

Showing the last few planks, although it does not look like it in the picture the space left is quite even

IMG_2753.thumb.jpg.d1f282a9da50e8c217c30db7d1388313.jpg

The tools I use for sanding and scraping, nothing fancy but it works for me

IMG_2761.thumb.jpg.f18b20bb58499861315be414794bb3e4.jpg 

And how she looks now before any filling

IMG_2762.thumb.jpg.af56badd619b34583a510d4eb0e7b81c.jpg

IMG_2763.thumb.jpg.f283e44235988f6389dd173da7874073.jpgIMG_2764.thumb.jpg.bc6e7a4e628390017648214dfd13d1dc.jpg

A little more fine tuning and it will be ready for some filler, but now it is on to the port side which has been already started

Have a good day, and Thanks for stopping in

Don,  So glad to see the Stefano on you workbench. Isn't it great to see the hull planked - I personally like the planking step a lot!  I've made the promise to myself to finish outfitting a workroom in my shed before I will  start the Stefano - I was drywalling today so perhaps in a week or 2 I can open up the box and start following your "tutorial" ;)  I'll try to leave the 10 month gap out but I won't promise not to follow your example!!

Please keep up your wonderful build logs - I learn much from them.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Thanks so much Doug. A couple of good days work on the Trabakul and she will be finished at that point I will be spending most of my time on Stefano hoping to make up for lost time. You will really enjoy the planking and seeing the lines of this ship appear, it truly is a beauty

Looks like another winner Don......... nice work!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks Frank, looking forward to seeing more on your Red Dragon

Don,

Nice project!

PS: Your Batelina is also brilliant work (:-)

Regards,

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Looking great Don - very curvy lady!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Michael and Mike and to all those for the likes and comments.

The first planking is completed now, filled, sanded and sealed. The second planking has begun, this is done using .5 x 4 mm strips cut to a length of 120 mm. I am using a 4 plank shift. I am not sure what type of wood it is, I am thinking maybe cherry. Whatever it is I am going to have a hard time painting it as it is starting to look real nice.

IMG_2854.thumb.jpg.16874a6c039d04b7928293a4c79791b0.jpg

Six strakes left of first planking

IMG_2855.thumb.jpg.4e7760106947f38a30bd292e590e551f.jpg

I was trying to get a picture while the filler was still wet, it looked real tasty when it was all pink!!

IMG_2858.thumb.jpg.64fe088249325c6154d97cc53e8002dd.jpg 

IMG_2886.thumb.jpg.2bbaeea64c898d9b51c55cba7cae4a5f.jpg

Here it is after the first initial sanding

IMG_2887.thumb.jpg.7b22d732a0660811b9da5b525150f36e.jpg

Sanded and sealed, I use a thin coat of wipe on poly then sand when dry. For some reason I cannot find sanding sealer around here, maybe on the next dog sled that comes through. LolIMG_2889.thumb.jpg.5370beccd373941362a50d5d28162fc0.jpg

Marking of the waterline, temporary marking as below this is copper plated so the planks will not be seen and will not need to be exact lengths or properly staggered

IMG_2890.thumb.jpg.e296665b86aba44bbf64b73efbb4df30.jpg

Showing pre-cut(120 mm) planks, space between vertical lines is 30 mm (120/4 = 30). Syringe is full of Weldbond the little plastic container has ca in it the red handled tool with a needle in the end is used for applying the ca

IMG_2891.thumb.jpg.efba218c8f69e3c32be82700caf6dd0a.jpgIMG_2892.thumb.jpg.a8cc542d69618a8613eb199c2876ab52.jpg

Here I am showing how I glue my planks on. First apply the Weldbond then with the needle tool I'll spread ca between the lines of Weldbond. With this method no clamps are required and with careful application of the ca there is no staining of the wood.

That's it for now, a week or so of doing this and I'll be back.

Take Care and Thanks for dropping in

Looks really great Don.  This is going to work into a really nice model under your skilled hands.  Interesting planking method by the way, thanks for sharing.  I have never had any success with CA - always ends up being a big mess for me :(

Is that your Pegasus in the background?  Mine has been dormant while I've been working on my Morgan.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Don,

That's a very beautiful hull. Is a barque a little like a clipper? Looks like it might be, probably the rigging would be the main difference? I like the look of your gluing technique; I think I'll try it on my next one.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Mike: Thanks so much. yes that is the Pegasus, it has been lacking attention lately but I do plan on doing a little more on her now. They are almost the same scale, Pegasus at 1;64 and Stefano at 1:63, the Stefano dwarfs Pegasus!

Bob: Thanks, great of you to stop by, grab a chair there will be lots more

David: Thank You. The gluing works great, I should have mentioned that I use medium viscosity ca, Super "T" from Lee Valley

Hey Don - had to search around to see what you're up to now that Trabakul is retired. This one looks cool. Interesting bow line. Think I'll tag along.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thanks for dropping in Mike, it does have some beautiful lines and should prove to be a very interesting build

Hi Don, 

It's nice to see this build moving along. Sorry I've been away from "real" modelling for a while now. I'm heavily into 3D building these days, specifically designing some parts for a "major manufacturer" for a new kit they're building. 

With my eyesight not very good, I have a great time with 3D building as I can zoom in as much as I like. 

I'll be continuing to follow this build as you move along. 

...and, yes, I will eventually get through the Pickle model...

Cheers, 

Rick

Edited by rshousha

Rick Shousha

Montreal

Great to hear from you Rick, It has been a long time. Happy to hear you are keeping busy, as usual. Thanks so much for stopping in and I hope you keep watching.

Hi Don,  you have put some serious work into you build  all the effort really looks to be paying off,  really nice work going on there.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hello OC, Thanks for checking things out, with the length being over a meter it has been lots of work, but I am sure it will all pay off sometime in the future.

1 meter - Good thing you don't like cases :D

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I agree Mike, I would need to re-mortgage my house. lol

Hi Don! I decided to drop in and take a look at your build so I could better answer your question about bolts and nails on my own log. :) Very nice work so far! I'll pull up a chair and stick around to see how she comes along.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thanks  guys I appreciate this.

Coming along nicely Don....... nice ! work on the planking.....That's my favorite part of the build

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)