Borodino by Captain Slog - Dom Bumagi - 1:200 - CARD

Yeah, I posted links back last April I think when I did the 47mm hotchkiss deck guns. The first 3 aren’t that great as trying to find style etc. 

I made another Borodino video last month on the hull steps but didn’t post in this log yet as was waiting for more progress but did post it in the hull fittings section of the forum. 

I have started on Admiral Nakimov also  and filmed kit review and started on the hull but haven’t posted on YouTube or here yet as lately have no spare time to model but should be posting something here and YouTube this weekend…maybe

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Hi All,

I previously made a post in the “Hull fittings” section of the forum on how I do the steps/ladders on the side of the hull, which you may have seen but I'll  link below and expand on later as some lessons learned from that changed how I did the remainder.

New Content.

After doing the section covered above and in the video, I found I needed to change the method for consistently setting the gap for the step distance from the hull as my usual method was too clumsy due to step location and the shape of the hull.

After a bit of brain storming I came up with and made a ‘setting’ tool made from half round Evergreen styrene strip.  I cut/scraped/sanded a recess into the end of one styrene strip.  Then gluing another strip to it left a slot in the end big enough for the 0.2mm wire steps shown above.

I needed to scallop the styrene on both sides of the gap so it fitted between the closely placed steps.  As the recess was made deeper than required I would install a step, ‘set it’ then sand the end of the tool back a bit and continue doing this until the correct depth of insertion was reached.

72662735_MSW5.thumb.JPG.7fd32c7bdbd6359db0f4f648a0f3f417.JPG

The process was then to insert all the steps roughly in place for a run of steps then use the ‘setting’ tool to push each step in to its final depth.  When the tool touches the hull, it is at the correct depth of 0.5mm (gap).  I would work down a section of steps before locking in place with glue.

76025149_MSW6.thumb.JPG.9f4b1793c8755f59cb270eeb3ba98744.JPG

Some photos of all 154 hull steps now fitted and glued in place.  Using the ‘setting’ tool was very quick and got a more consistent finish from the method used in the video.  I will paint them black once I install the horizontal hand rails that run along the sides of the hull.  

1045546412_MSW7.thumb.JPG.d139bbbff38058b57512098591690ba0.JPG

411625111_MSW8.thumb.JPG.d942b1d232b332268b0a2f7da7e08fcd.JPG

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

• 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to Borodino by Captain Slog - Dom Bumagi - 1:200 - CARD