Chaperon 1894 by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Sternwheeler Steamer

I have completed the cabin walls etc on the boiler deck. I am not sure that the bending method given for the curves is very good. The idea was to bend the wood that had been laser inscribed in a pre made jig. Despite enlarging the lines with a number 11 blade and being very, very careful it was almost impossible not to splinter the wood. I got away with it but only just ! It had been suggested that the rear of the wood could be backed with card before the bending but I feel this would have made the job even harder. The instructions say not to soak the wood but to be honest I think it is better to do it. There is more bending on the top cabins so I will risk and try it next time.

What a lot of upright battens !! Easy enough to cut but quite a chore to stick. I have also chosen to alter the painting a bit to make it 'my own' and left the door panels white. I think it looks OK.

post-10647-0-90710200-1474104698_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-77256600-1474104731_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-17729700-1474104762_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-35910300-1474104794_thumb.jpg

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

looks awesome Mike.........must have been very tedious ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Funnily enough I did think seriously about putting lights in and the model certainly lends itself to that very well. I still could do it until I put the next deck on. Hmmm, keep thinking.

Glad you like the doors!

Popeye, tedious yes, worth it? Definitely.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Mike,

You make her shine!!! She might be even more attractive with some inner light. Your doors fit well with the colour scheme.

Keep in mind that if it is plywood you want to soak, it will not stand the bending. Even just soaking may have serious consequences. The layers will come undone, and the wood will swell ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

If you are going to put in lights , I have a lot of 1.3 mm clear 12v LEDs you can have. Ask and you shall be given. 

clarence.

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

Mike:

It's looking great.  The battens sure are a job but they add a lot to the finished project.  Glad you got the bends done OK.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

cog, I understand about the bending, I have had trouble with ply before but this is not - it is just basswood.

chborgm. oh you tempt me so much - I think you might not be so generous as I live in Scotland and I am not sure how I could pay you the postage. Maybe we could discuss with a PM ?

Thanks all for your generous comments.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly a thank you to both Kurt and Clarence for their kind thoughts and observations about potentially lighting this model. After careful though I have decided against. My reasoning is that I think it would best be lit with fibre optics to keep the lighting dim and not overpowering and as Kurt pointed out these vessels didn't have electric generators so lighting would have been by candle. Also because I had already put the boiler deck on I could not access the void underneath well enough to attach the fibres. Also Kurt pointed out quite rightly that lighting inside would show up every gap and irregularity. Had I decided to light earlier I could have made more effort to seal all gaps very carefully and it something I will certainly bear in mind for the future.

Anyway as you will see I have attached the hurricane deck which again, contrary to the destructions I made into one piece first so that I could put the rub rail round the sides off the boat. Getting that deck fixed on was a real effort. It took ages to get it just right so that all the holes in both decks lined up so that the stationaries would be vertical and all the smokestack pipes etc would also fit. As you can see from the added stationaries I got there in the end. The stacks, skylight etc are just dry fitted at the moment as I want to get the painting of the stair rails and all those tops done and the rails and decorative support brackets on first.

See what you think.

post-10647-0-47580800-1475245298_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-19435100-1475245332_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-01920200-1475245365_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Mike:

It's looking good.  Alignment can be a bear but in the end it all fits together quite well.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Bull rails on now and the skylight. Next job should be the 'pretty' bits or maybe the Texas.

She is beginning to look like a proper boat now. I thin she looks a bit like a liner or cruise ship with the hog truss posts on.

post-10647-0-57337800-1475660546_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-60851500-1475660590_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-34071500-1475660624_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

She does look amazing. Nice neat work. A real master piece.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to leave the pretty bits until later and so I progressed with the 'Texas' and the pilot house trying very hard to follow Kurt's instructions on how to modify the latter to make it more realistic. I hope he will be pleased with my efforts. I had to purchase a 'steering wheel' as the kit did not account for modifications and didn't include one. I also made up a stove but it really doesn't show. You can see I did do the pretty bits on these!! Those stairs going up to the pilot house were a real challenge and I have to admit it did take me three attempts before getting it anything like square but I think they look OK now.

She now looks more like a paddle steamer but there is still lots to do, maybe get the side decorations on next.

post-10647-0-70734000-1476611885_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-48544400-1476611933_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-70781500-1476611966_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-30885300-1476611998_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-01268900-1476612032_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-35947900-1476612066_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-23350100-1476612100_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I haven't got round to my big flappy round thing yet - but I will !!

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

OK I couldn't resist! I just had to get those deck frilly edge bits on and despite quite a lot of CA gel on my fingers I think it looks, well pretty I suppose !!!! The decoration, not my fingers that is.

post-10647-0-77564900-1476636444_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-36587100-1476636482_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-98509400-1476636514_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Mike:

It's looking great.  The pilothouse work is right on!

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thanks Kurt - I really appreciate your kind comment, and the rest of you guys thank you as well. Still a way to go and I promise to do the big flappy round thing soon!

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

• 2 weeks later...

she look'in super Mike........love what you've done with the pilot house and all the frilly decorations!   if I recall the paddle ship,  that flappy round thing on the back is going to be a work of art all by itself!   the big reveal is gonna be awesome  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

OK guys and gals, here is the reveal !!!! The big flappy round thing is complete and on the boat !!! You are right Popeye, it was certainly a work, whether art or not I leave those amongst you to decide. A little 'kit bashed' with visual suggestions from Kurt.

post-10647-0-98701400-1477666126_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-60180900-1477666163_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-29589200-1477666197_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery: