Chaperon 1894 by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Sternwheeler Steamer

Congratulations on completing your Chaperon.  You did an excellent job on building this model and I have enjoyed following your build log.  I look forward to following your next build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

That is a wonderful model.  You really out did yourself.  To bad you cannot bring it to WI.  I know many who would be drooling over it and the judges would probably fall in love with it.  You even might be going back empty handed.

David B

Mike, you've done a fine job. I appreciate your build log, too, as it's helped me better understand a kit I may well want to build myself one day.

One question, forgive me if I missed the answer earlier: did you treat the lines with anything to help keep them from sagging over time?

Otherwise, hearty congratulations. I'll miss following along on this. I need to get moving on my current project so I can go back to another steamboat myself.

Well high praise indeed from someone of your calibre - thank you very much.

Regarding the lines, some of them I painted white just to make them thicker really. Otherwise not treated just put on tight. I can't say I have had any problems with sagging lines. If it is at all helpful I rarely use the supplied thread as I find it far too woolly so I tend to go for polyester. The thread with this kit was very weird nylony stuff that was hopeless to work with and impossible to stick to anything. I am not clever enough to seize everything I'm afraid, just glue!!

Chaperon is by far the best paddle steamer kit I have built thus far and the most challenging in some ways. The Robt.E.Lee I did was a Constructo kit which I deliberately left as a wood finish is also one of my favourites but you have to get over their dreadful 'cutting' techniques. I can't believe that Constructo haven't invested in laser cutting by now.

Anyway many thanks for your post.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Beautiful build, your model makes me really wonder how these babes would have looked back in the day. Great stuff!!!

congratz on the finish of a fine model.   very well done!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Beautiful build, Mike.  Congratulations.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful! to be proud of. Poker cards, a bottle of bourbon and the setting is complete. :)

Robin

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Thank you very much hof (!!!) ( that's the trouble with handles you never know a real name) and everyone who has taken the trouble to post a reply. Despite my joking about the lifeboats I really do appreciate your comments.

To those that have enquired I have just started the AL stage coach for my next build, I have already done the Amati version. Please don't think me a peasant !!  I have  the Oesberg in my stash to do after and I am hoping that Santa will arrive with a bi and/ or a trireme to play with in the new year. I just try to alternate a boat/ship with another build but it doesn't stop me watching MSW and all the wonderful build that are going on.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Hi Mike,

I am with you on the choice of projects.

I have three models on 'the go'.

The one I am building at present is the Amati Stagecoach.

I also have a half rigged Swedish Gunboat and the gunboat Philadelpia currently being planked. I swap and change as the mood takes me.

So the best of luck with whatever you decide to do and thanks for posting the build, it was very informative.

Kind Regards

Red

Enjoy the Amati Red, some of the wood bending is great fun !!!!!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

• 6 years later...
  • The title was changed to Chaperon 1894 by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Sternwheeler Steamer