Announcement: New Search Feature for Build Logs

Hi, friends!

I want to give you a preview of a new feature we are adding to the build logs section. Right now we are in the process of adding the word "FINISHED" to each completed build log immediately after the builder's username. Titles of finished logs will now look something like this:

HMS Doohickey by allthumbs - FINISHED - 1/50 scale

Why are we doing this? Because it makes it easier for you to use our search feature to find only finished models if you wish to do so. Plus, it eliminates the need for a separate forum for finished models. Here's how to do it:

1) Start in the Build Logs for Ship Model Kits forum.

2) Up by the search window in the upper right corner, click the little gear symbol to pull up the advanced search options.

3) Enter the name of the ship you're looking for and the word 'finished'.

4) Select the "all words" and "only search in titles" options.

5) Hit the SEARCH NOW button

6) Presto! You'll get a list of finished models.

Wanna test drive? Try searching the term Constitution using the above directions. If you want to see all finished models, just search the term 'finished' by itself.

Narrowing your search to finished builds is useful for finding builds that illustrate later steps of construction, such as rigging. That way you can skip past builds that end at earlier stages of construction.

Once we get all the kit builds tagged appropriately, we will add the finished tag to the scratch build section as well. We added the word in all caps so that finished build logs will stand out if you decide to browse logs the old-fashioned way.

Enjoy!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Great idea Chris. That will indeed be useful to help in finding those completed projects and especially like you said for rigging as many logs do not make it that far. Thanks!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Good idea Chris, I had my completed builds marked "Complete", but I've now changed them to "Finished".  Having a standard word to use for this is an excellent plan.  Now if only everyone would follow the standard!

oh how I wish I could change a build log title of mine to include the word FINISHED  :(

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

oh how I wish I could change a build log title of mine to include the word FINISHED  :(

You can ! Open the log to the first entry, click EDIT (in first post) , then click on USE FULL EDITOR, that opens a window with the log title in it. Just type the word into the title. Then click SAVE

• 2 weeks later...

I think Slog means that he hasn't got that far ... yet.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

• 7 months later...

this is good,  but the old system was better.   I could click on the customs tab,  select logs that I'm replying to,  and lock it,  so whenever I went into the forums,  the complete list of the logs I'm following would always be there.   there is no lock feature for this........I have to make the change every time I want to view the ones I'm following.  I'm not sure how many folks do it this way,  but it beats thumbing through each page to find the logs I'm following.   don't think there is a fix for it either.....it may require an added function.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just use the follow feature or ignore features.    Its new and yes its different.  But its not difficult for most.   ;)

You can do something similar by going to "Content I follow".  Click on "ACTIVITY" (top bar) then "MY ACTIVITY STREAMS" and "CONTENT I FOLLOW".  Make sure you choose "CONDESNSED" or else it will have every post from every topic you follow.

You can also set up Custom threads....but I am not too clear on that.  I set that up for me (LOGS I FOLLOW) and I think I think it includes all topics and most of the news articles from Major League Baseball.  "CONTENT I FOLLOW" is easier.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

There are a half dozen ways to do this actually.  But first you must be willing to try some of them.  Play around a bit.   For example.  What Chuck mentioned is a great way.  You customize a "stream"  It can show you a list of only what you want to see.  Every time you click on it.  And you can set it as the default stream to make it easier to access if its the only one you use all the time.

-go to the activity drop down

-click on "my Activity Streams"

-at the bottom you will see "create new stream"

-here you can call a new stream...."unread build logs I follow"

-then just set up the filters including what forums like "build logs for kits" or both kit and scratch logs.   Then filter so it only shows the logs you follow and unread content since you last visited. Or whatever other criteria you prefer.  Its really a wonderful feature

-It will show you only what you want to see every time you click on that activity stream.  AND you can make it the default.  Then you can just click My activity streams and it will show you only what you set up. 

-AND you can create as many personalized streams as you want.  Think of the word "stream" as a fancy word for "automated search based on your own criteria"

OR....you could get grumpy that stuff has changed.

But the new "activity streams function"  gives you the opportunity to personalize any search for content whenever you want it and with the exact criteria you are looking for.   Its a thing of beauty.  And yes a new FEATURE thanks to the upgrade.

I will make a new topic with this info.