I am a born again user of the airbrush.    I tried one in my younger days,  but hung it up because of it needing so much attention......cleaning and such.   not to mention......I was building plastic kits......mostly small tasks to do.....it just didn't seem worth it.   getting back into modeling..........and finding a new love,  building wooden ships.   I found a huge need to get back into it....those huge hulls were a pain to paint with a brush.   a friend of mine sent me one of his old ones.....

post-612-0-75866500-1468615037.jpg

this is a siphon feed......it has a port for an external paint cup.   the paint is brought into the chamber,  aerated,  and sprayed internally through the nozzle.   there is a cap connector for a compressed air can.   I never got a chance to try it out though.   I was in the local Hobby Lobby and I saw a kit,  put out by testor's....the "Amazing Air" airbrush kit.

http://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/testors/airbrush/external-mix

this is a different type of siphon feed......it is external.   the science behind it is simple........it duplicates the act of blowing across the top of a bottle.   air enters the ported top,  pushes the paint up via a feed tube,  aerates with the air stream that emits from the nozzle.   Testor's also carries the EZ airbrush......which is nothing more than the airbrush itself,  without the kit.    the kit comes in many forms:  auto paint enamels,   acrylic paints,  and camo paints........all boxed in the same size packaging format.   it comes with a can of compressed air,  but I adapted mine to run of of my Craftsman 25 gal compressor. 

post-612-0-66942900-1468616954.jpg

post-612-0-85846700-1468616967.jpg

it uses the 1/4 oz bottles......Testor's,  Humbrol,  and Pactra all have pretty much the same bottles.......any one of them can be used.

http://www.testors.com/category/136949/Airbrushes

I'm not trying to promote Testor's products or the company.  these are just pages that I have bookmarked.   I gather many sites that I find useful..... sites like this one:

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/home

I've known Don for quite some time,  and he put together this review of god knows how many types of airbrushes.   if you have a problem.....or a question...you may find an answer here.   I do have two more outfits......to be honest,  I haven't tried or used them yet.   I did use the compressor from this one for a short time....has some tell tale paint spatters on it, to prove it.   this is a Spraycraft outfit..........this particular one is a gravity feed.   paint is put in the cup on the top,  aerated in the chamber,  and out through the nozzle.    I have never tried a gravity feed before.......should be very interesting when I do get 'round to use it.

post-612-0-98953800-1468621127.jpg

....and I also have this little gem......an Aztek A320....

post-612-0-53787900-1468621285.jpg

if I told you how I came by it.....you wouldn't believe it.   it is a kit........complete,  with many added and extra parts.  I am not sure how many nozzles come with it.......but I have several

post-612-0-72925400-1468621466.jpg

post-612-0-37148800-1468621480.jpg

I found another nozzle in the box..........color coded as for what they do.   it is a siphon feed,  but this one is an internal mix........paint is introduced into the chamber,  and sprayed out the nozzle.   there are complete instructions and DVD's to accompany it.    I have been using the EZ airbrushes since 2010.........quite an accomplishment for a $35.00 airbrush.  one of these days,  they will wear out {what they call a handle has already broken off one of them},   and when they do,  it's nice to know that I'll have a back up.   what worries me,  is will I need to alter my style of painting,  to use them?!?!

these are what I have for airbrushes....I hope that anyone reading this found some useful info.   know that you don't need the most up to date airbrush outfit.......you only need one that works.    thanks for looking in

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch