vossiewulf

Ammunition loadouts and other questions

36 posts in this topic

Some more screenshots, it's come quite a ways in the last few weeks. This is another call for anyone who wants to try playing it, I'm collecting a few people for a small mail list of testers that I'll keep updated and who will be able to access current versions on my FTP site.

(click for full-size versions)

sneQj1Wl.jpg

TFKiyjpl.jpg

Uahkmcwl.jpg

Things are looking pretty grim for the Spanish fleet, San Hermenegildo and Real Carlos have already struck. Also note it can handle most  resolutions, min would be 1280 and it should handle 4k fine. This is 2560 x 1440.

09DqSjfl.jpg

First turn of the scenario you get "long version" turn step explanations with quick-start type help and a link to the help file. This will become an option players can disable.

KXmTSWMl.jpg

mtaylor and NJQUACK like this

Also, I grabbed the high res version of this map from the Library of Congress, and did a (quick) cleanup job, removing the massive yellowing and removing a big fold down the middle and generally making it look more like it did when first drawn. I will probably loop back again at some point and do a better job but this is reasonable for now, putting here in case anyone wants a high res copy of this map.

Click for full size and download from there. Full size is ~ 2400 X 1900.

pql5DqLl.jpg

trippwj, jud, mtaylor and 1 other like this

Update, lots of progress, and getting close to game mechanics complete. Step after that will be AI and single player release, followed by lobby/matchmaking multiplayer.

New features you see here are a mini-map that's so full-featured that you can actually play the whole game just using the mini-map, and a fully dynamic shiplist showing current order status, fleet and divisional flagships, damage summary, fouled state, and full/battle sails. Both the mini-map and the ship list are navigational tools as well, clicking on a mini-ship in the mini-map will move the main map to that location and select the ship. Clicking on any point in the mini-map will also move the main map to that location. And clicking a ship name in the ship list will do the same, moves the main map to that location and selects the ship.

The divisional structure will allow co-op/PVP multiplayer games where each player controls a division, also makes the AI a somewhat more approachable problem.

Being implemented now is the logistics UI that will appear below the ship list on the correct turn step, were we reload broadsides and set sail states and raise/drop anchor and attempt unfoul/ungrapple and eventually a few other things like repair.

All ship data for simulating any engagement from the Austrian War of Succession to 1815 has been created, and spinning up fleet engagement takes an hour or so and smaller engagements much less, so the intent is to have quite a large array of ready scenarios.

Still looking for an extra playtester or two, if you're interested please PM me here.

Here we see the hover effect in the mini-map, you get a rollover highlight on the ship and a hover pop-up that provides basic information about that ship. Except during combat steps, this is the most accurate information you get on enemy ships.

jl8Rb4d.jpg

fKJJpJp.jpg

wKWT21G.jpg

trippwj, Canute and mtaylor like this

While a touch later than you are seeking, I came across some interesting details across all classes of British ships from 1842-44.

Here is the load out for a 120 gun ship:

post-18-0-65897700-1480205231_thumb.jpg

Attached are more details.

Pages from 1847 Reports_on_Naval_Construction_1842_44.pdf

Source:  Read, Samuel, Henry Chatfield, and Augustin Francis Bullock Creuze. 1847. Reports on Naval Construction, 1842-44. W. Clowes.

vossiewulf, mtaylor and Canute like this

While a touch later than you are seeking, I came across some interesting details across all classes of British ships from 1842-44.

Here is the load out for a 120 gun ship:

attachicon.gif120 Gun 1844.jpg

Attached are more details.

attachicon.gifPages from 1847 Reports_on_Naval_Construction_1842_44.pdf

Source:  Read, Samuel, Henry Chatfield, and Augustin Francis Bullock Creuze. 1847. Reports on Naval Construction, 1842-44. W. Clowes.

Wayne, sorry I had missed this response.Thanks, every bit helps, and although first step will be releases with just metric farktons of scenarios covering the late 18th century and Napoleonic wars, and it's going to be hard to resist doing the Anglo-Dutch and other wars of the 17th century as doing so will require nothing but additional ship data, I would very much like to do something with the 1815 to 1860 period. As we know, there was this annoying thing called Pax Britannica floating about (literally) so to make it interesting we'd have to invent hypothetical wars, but I'd still like to see the last sailing ships have their day in the sun. In a nice simulation where no one really gets shot.

Below is screenshot of latest version with the logistics turn step implemented and showing how the minimap and shiplist info work. Again, this is actual gameplay not just demo artwork, click for full size.

NDOVgvQ.jpg

trippwj and mtaylor like this

BTW, in terms of battle maps, this is another one I cleaned up and have added to the article on Camperdown on Wikipedia. I found it in the biography of Admiral Duncan written by his son... or grandson... and published in 1898 on archive.org. Since that seemed to be likely to be the most accurate map available, I spent the time to clean it up.

Same thing, click to get the full size that is around 3k x 2500. 

2UV9IqK.jpg

And in case anyone wondered what it looked like to start with...

U8Welsc.jpg

trippwj and mtaylor like this