Triton cross-section by tkay11 (aka Tony) - FINISHED

My message box was full. I have now deleted about half the messages, so if anyone wants to PM me in future that should work.

Tony

That's very funny, Niklas, because your build of Le Rochefort made me go back to have a look at it again as a possibility for my next build. I've been scanning the different ship's plans I have before making CAD tracings as part of the process of deciding which to build first (the others being the Brixham trawler Valerian, the Frigate Naiad, and La Jacinthe).

You've seen the interesting discussion about framing the Brixham trawler and I was pleased to work out how to do the framing for that. As I'll be visiting Brixham in June to see the three main trawlers re-built there, I'll have lots of photos to help and that may well help me to finalise the decision. But the step-by-step guide provided by Ed Tosti with the Naiad is very tempting, and Le Rochefort is tempting because the framing is simpler and very clearly presented (as well as being a merchant ship, which I prefer). La Jacinthe is still on my list simply because it's a beautiful ship and I think my wife would prefer it far more than the others!

One of the irritating things about scanning from paper (especially if it's been folded) is the fact that the flatbed scanners have complex distortions which don't allow for simple re-sizing and overlapping if you want a really accurate result, so I have to end up making small sections and re-adjusting. In fact it's the same process as re-drafting on to paper as I have to make a grid and use the measurements of each part of the plans to which I can re-size. The errors are approximate 1mm per 100mm, but variable with both barrel and pincushion distortion, so it's much easier when the plans are provided as pdfs (as for the Naiad) when there's no distortion and only errors of drafting.

Thanks for appreciating the Triton, though! I much enjoyed doing it.

Tony

Tony, all four are interesting projects. I`m enjoying the Rochefort even if it´s a little more than I can handle, still I understand that Naiad is tempting. If I had the skill I'd might go for that one, but it's your choice:D.

Don't know if this helps: I use my small scanner when I need copies for frames etc, but took the original plans to a professional copy place that printed out unfolded copies. Perhaps not super accurate but I can live with it. Your way of doing it is of course the best way to get it as perfect as possible. 

Niklas

Yes, you're probably right, Niklas, about the sheer and half-breadth plans. And you're definitely right about using the small scanner for frames. I'm just such a miser that I get irritated to have to pay £10 or £12 per sheet and still have to correct it.

I should also mention that I'm also wasting my time on scanning the plans because whilst we're trying to sell the house I can't do any woodwork at all -- every single one of my tools has had to be stowed away and absolutely no sawdust or scraps allowed! So I've deliberately been playing around with the small scanner and software just to see how much accuracy I can achieve with corrections.

As you say, it's what you can live with -- and the small levels of distortion when translated to real wood at 1:48 are probably no more than a file cut away from perfection. So like you, I know that when it comes to the crunch I'll be living with at least better distortions than I have at the moment!

Tony

Niklas, I forgot to add a comment in relation to your saying "I`m enjoying the Rochefort even if it´s a little more than I can handle".

To my mind that's exactly the reason for taking on a project. I took on my first kit, the Sherbourne, not only because I was intrigued by the idea of wooden model ship building, but also because it was something I thought I'd like to learn -- something that was beyond my skill level. The same was true when I then took on the Triton cross-section -- which was almost entirely an exercise to go beyond what I could handle, although I also much appreciated the beauties of its construction.

So I'm definitely looking in my next model for something beyond what I can now handle as I really enjoy the process of learning, exploring and developing new skills. I could of course just settle into a comfort zone and hone existing skills to produce a beautiful model, as I might with a simple construction approach to La Jacinthe (although I could make it as complex as possible with full framing), and I still might do that, but I think I'd prefer the challenge to take me to a level at which I'd then decide to hone existing skills.

We'll see!

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that, Bob! Thanks to the cross-section I now have a far better understanding of what's involved in building plank-on-frame and am deep in the study of the Rochefort plans -- which is doing my French no end of good! Did you ever finish your Triton?

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I think the blade you may be thinking of is the one I have for the Proxxon mini drill. These are made by a variety of manufacturers and easily available on Amazon and eBay. They are for any drill that can hold a shaft of 3.15mm (e.g. Dremel), and are 22mm in diameter. They are not at all expensive.

The smallest one I have for the Proxxon table saw is 0.5mm kerf, (0.02in) which I obtained from MicroMark in the US, together with an adapter for the Proxxon.

I hope that helps.

Tony

Many thanks for the info. I have a Dremel, so I think I will invest in some saws for it. I may also make a jig which will hold the Dremel like a table saw!

I got additional saw blades for the Proxxon from Axminster Tools, they have a reasonable range.

I look forward to more logs from you.

Lynn