Triton cross-section by tkay11 (aka Tony) - FINISHED

GANGWAY

I thought the best way to make the gangway would be to make the entire section separately and then lay it on top of the knees. The tricky part would be to make the curved sections in the middle – which I did by making a template for these.

58d7fe1ef3001_P1020701annot.thumb.jpg.f3010801f8bc64e43232fb6725f6b29b.jpg

I then used templates to shape the gangway planks

58d7fe220e3f0_P1020702annot.thumb.jpg.f94ec088be3e078b315f7e106110d3e2.jpg
58d7fe26d9634_P1020706small.thumb.jpg.8a9bb1cdf9b24db601580b48b38f8bdf.jpg
The key to the structure is the first long gangway plank, which, when glued to the longer section of the gangway edge, provides the reference for the remainder of the planking and the edges.

58d7fe24e43bc_P1020704annot.thumb.jpg.cd7e06b9179d2145080817a43e433629.jpg
The parts were then all glued together and the edges of the gangway sanded with the Proxxon sanding machine.

58d7fe2908ea4_P1020707annot.thumb.jpg.cb9dd232792a89b6113f7f13df24fe61.jpg
Tony

ENTRY STEPS AND FENDERS

Now that I’m used to making a moulding, I cut the shapes for the steps in a hacksaw blade and made the long outline of the entry steps.

After cutting the length, I shaped the sides first by cutting down with a fine saw, then using the saw cut as a base to file away the upper and lower edges of the steps.

58d7fed68408f_P1020712annot.thumb.jpg.081b003f6d4785a1d69383b40770c45d.jpg

The fenders were then cut out but I cursed the fact that I had added the sheer rail as cutting the spaces out for the fenders really was fairly tricky.

58d7fed87f8d0_P1020739small.thumb.jpg.37aafc0895e1f0db4995eeca2d643331.jpg

Tony

SKID BEAMS AND THOSE LITTLE BITS AT THE TOP

I then glued the brackets to the knees with quick-drying epoxy using the pins previously mentioned. I held the skid beams in the brackets (to ensure alignment), and, when the brackets had dried, glued in the skid beams.

By the way, you'll note that I'm leaving all the wood unstained and unpainted. This is quite deliberate, as I rather like the plain look. However, I have used my home-made varnish (mineral spirits, polyurethane varnish, linseed oil) to coat all the wood parts. I may have to give a second coat (some of the pictures show the patchiness), but I'm showing it in the current state.

58d7ff74996a1_P1020749small.thumb.jpg.beaf05dff183219b63d862d4c8536dc2.jpg
I added a sheer rail to the top of the rearmost frame but remain dissatisfied with the look of it. I’ll remain dissatisfied because I’m not going to change it!

58d7ff6be97cb_P1020728small.thumb.jpg.9e8c56975fd29e8524d28f4cdb91f42c.jpg
58d7ff72b4fd1_P1020748small.thumb.jpg.e8891c3cf433f7b4708b75e0d11f9ca8.jpg
58d7ff7068759_P1020745small.thumb.jpg.29c10840e9d4d87fff4e2769138828f5.jpg
58d7ff6e29c05_P1020735small.thumb.jpg.64e0a22935039b7935eb0e76b587975c.jpg
I’ll have a think about mounting it on a board, but as we may be selling our house soon, am not sure when I’ll be able to do it.

Tony

Thanks, Dave, Dirk and all the 'likes'. It's been an enjoyable journey, with lots of learning. Those who designed it really did have the learner in mind. So even though my own build is really basic, it will allow me to take on a new build with more confidence about the basics. That's the real value of this Triton cross-section. It's a pity that it's been closed to new builds because I can't think of anything similar that has been so well designed with such a lot of support that's also free (apart from the wood, of course!).

The other aspect is that as it is clearly aimed at the learner (although some have made it into a something much more professional), I had a great time fixing mistakes which, on a more serious build, would have caused me much more grief.

I'll state my view yet again that it was not a good idea to close the build for new learners. The plans are out there, so I can't see the gain in closing the build. If the plans continue to be available here for free, people are surely going to come here in preference to buying them.

Congratulations yet again to those who designed this cross-section but please re-consider the closure of the build to others!

Tony

Thanks for the info, Dave. That must be recent as I check quite regularly. Anyway, that's great news!

Tony

Thanks to those who've added their appreciations with the 'like' button. I'm still thinking about the mounting board because my wife doesn't want me to throw it away just yet. In fact I've been thinking it might be a useful source for bits and pieces in a future build -- a kind of formed scrap box. A bit like people did with Egyptian tombs, ancient Rome and temple sites around the world. In the end also a bit like us as we're de-structured for our atoms and genes for future generations and other animal or plant life. I'm beginning to quite like this re-cycling idea.

Tony

Well, if I carry it in person, might be a good opportunity to learn some of your skills.

Tony

A VERY SIMPLE BASE

Because this model really was just to learn and is nothing special compared with the other Triton builds, and will, in any case, be kept just to show grandchildren what the structures looked like, I decided to make as simple a base as possible.

As usual, my road came in handy. A neighbour was having his floorboards discarded, so I just picked a couple up. One of them became a base for my wife's doorstep plants, while the other was converted to use as base for the cross section. I planed it flat (or as flat as I cared to) and drilled four holes for 5mm perspex rods.

As the wood was very light, I varnished it with a polyurethane varnish. The colour is not quite right, but it was declared satisfactory by my wife who is the judge in all matters aesthetic.

I worked out the angle for the tops of the rods by using my TurboCAD tracings of the frames, and sanded the tops to the correct angle.

58e1523e31c81_P1020794small.thumb.jpg.d8a38d2c1723d655a0ea7a3cec4d6cbc.jpg

I left the heights of the rods so that the keel would be just above the base.

58e1523b58276_P1020788small.thumb.jpg.c10cc05f0b131d8c4c0b60137cfc718d.jpg

Although I may still apply another coat of my made-up Danish oil to the ship (unlikely), I've decided to end this log and call the model completed.

While we're in the throes of selling (with luck) our house, I'll now just concentrate on planning the next build -- a toss-up between Le Rochefort, Naiad,  Brixham Trawler Valerian and (outsider) La Jacinthe. I have the plans for all of these, but each has their attractions.

Thanks to everyone not only for their 'likes' and appreciation that have given me added motivation during this build and the Sherbourne, but also for the enormously kindly and generous advice which I've had in various ways to help me complete these builds. And yet again I congratulate those who designed and made the plans freely available for this really useful learning exercise.

Tony

Thanks, Carl and Dirk. Much appreciated! Interesting you focus on the educational, Carl, as that has been a prime motivation for me in the build logs. I thought it would be very useful for other novices like myself to go into the challenges for these particular builds and ways of getting round those challenges at this basic level. So if I help other newbies persevere, I'll have counted the exercise worth it.

Tony

It looks great and built in such a short timeframe! 

Looking forward for the next log, hope it would be full of interesting jigs, fixtures and methods. Sharing them is fun! :)

Thanks, Mike and Dave, and Meddo for the like. Yes, it's the sharing that makes this forum such a pleasure to follow.

Tony

Congratulations, Tony on a well done cross-section.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Congratulations, very nice build Tony. Always feels good to be finish with a project (For me I wish it happened more often..)

Jörgen

Current:  Sherbourne - Caldercraft 1/64

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65
Finished: Endeavour - Americas Cup J class 1934 - Amati 1/80

Other:    Airplanes and Tanks

Thanks, Jörgen. I look on builds in another way.

For me I find that because each different part or stage involves making a model of its own, with its different skills, materials and challenges, that it's rather like building lots of models each one of which is finished (and each one of which may take several tries to complete!).

I was surprised to find that on completion of each of the models I didn't feel any particular interest or excitement, other than thinking about a next build or builds. I do occasionally look back at the Sherbourne and now the Triton and think "That was quite an interesting experience, and quite nice to look at" and it's nice to show others some of the details of these ships and how they were built, but other than that I don't really think about them at all.

This may be because my interest is not so much in the finished product but in finding out about these ships in the terms of how they were constructed and how they functioned, as well as in the challenges of finding out how to make small replicas of their individual parts. You may have noticed that I don't really care too much about the final finish in terms of sanding or perfect appearance (including my lack of interest in treenailing), and I suspect that's because of the particular way I think about the hobby. It's more like a very intriguing game, perhaps a computer game or a game of chess, for which I have to find the solutions and, having found them, progress to the next level of complexity. However, I also have to admit to having a sneaking regard for all those who do spend time on the appearance and finish of the models as in truth the finish provides another level of beauty! Maybe once I become more proficient at the basics I'll be able to spend more time on the finish.

I should imagine that different modellers have very different approaches to their models based on their own experiences, expectations and mindsets, and even that they will approach different models with different expectations and mindsets. With your Sherbourne build, for example, it made me think hard about how I think about treenailing, and whether I really should spend more time on such detail as it is so well executed, so it just may be that my mindset will change as well!

Tony

Thanks, Pete. That means a lot to me.

Tony

Tony,

Beautiful  cross section! I like also the base.

Thank you very much for sharing your building experiences in such a clear way.

I hope your next build will be the Brixham trawler Valerian because one of my future projects , when my Triton cross section will be completed, will probably be a cross section of a Lowestoft smack.

Geert

A wonderful idea, Geert. I look forward to that cross-section. I'll be visiting one of the Brixham Trawlers for a trip on 4th June, so will be taking lots of pics, I hope, unless the weather calls it all off.

Thanks very much for the appreciation, by the way!

Thanks, Gunther. Even my wife likes it, so it must be ok!

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Al. You seemed to be getting on just fine with your build when last I looked! But I'm glad if I've acted as a stimulus!

Tony

Thanks, B.E. As one of the people from whom I continue to learn, much appreciated as well!

Tony

Hey howya goin Tony mate, wow she came out great grats mate.  :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

21 hours ago, tkay11 said:

Thanks, Al. You seemed to be getting on just fine with your build when last I looked! But I'm glad if I've acted as a stimulus!

Tony

Thanks Tony. Family issues have kept me out of the shop for quite a while now but I'm getting close to getting back to it.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED