I am putting together a resource 'file' that introduces basic concepts for a whole range of techniques, fittings, rigging, etc, etc. and hope to have this accepted on MSW.

At the moment, I am struggling to find some photos of either constructed or actual stoves - pre Brodie or Brodie - that I could use with permission and without infringing copyright.

Can anybody help me ... please ?  Would really, really appreciate your input.

Pete

Pete,

As I recall there are a couple of articles in the database http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-furniture-and-deck-fittings.php that might help.

Also, just a head's up.... French ships did not use "stoves" as such.  They use a "fireplace".  Here's a link to one French builder's site:  http://www.arsenal-modelist.com/index.php?page=accessories

Edit:  There's some other sites I have bookmarked but will have to dig through them... 

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

Thanks for your interest. I have already included the links you mentioned to the MSW articles on stoves but would like to find out more about the French fireplace/ hearth concept vs. ovens. The attached diagram from the Euromodel La Renommee [1774] certainly shows a hearth rather than an enclosed oven and interestingly, a deck plan shows the presence of two chimneys.

Very interested to get more info on this aspect re the French ships.

Pete

post-593-0-09708500-1470729142.jpg

Edited by piratepete007

Here's a link to my AVS log.  I scratch-built a stove for the model.  You can use whatever you like: text and/or photos.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10979-armed-virginia-sloop-patrick-henry-by-docblake-lauck-street-shipyard-scale-132-pof-admiralty-style/page-5

Dave, that series of photos for a stove you built are TERRIFIC and they will really add to my descriptive work. Thanks for that.

I am over the moon with members of MSW that I sought permission from to use their photos who have ALL been so cooperative. This 'little' exercise simply started off as a self-education process to help me better understand what it was I should be doing - and especially understanding - in constructing all the different aspects that go into building a ship. Before I knew what was happening, I found myself ploughing deeper and deeper through a myriad of posts on MSW. So, for example, it is a work that just does not explain what a cathead and cat-tail are but also explains a little about their history.

It is fun and hopefully will be a resource appearing on MSW  where everything is alphabetically listed. The problem is that I was a teacher of chemistry and my passion is in explaining things.

So ... this is a general plea ... if I write to you seeking permission ... please help me to help others by allowing me to use your ideas. I will not intentionally use your work without permission but there is always the danger of overlooking you (but I hope not).

Pete

Pete,

Have look in the Scratch Area for starters at Jeronimo's Bonhomme Richard.  Also Gaetan's logs.  I'm not sure, at this moment, which other builds are to that point.

French ships had not only the fireplaces but usually at least one oven.  On Bello's site, look for "kitchens", "ovens", "stoves".  He has about 4 or 5 of these items listed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)