Greek Bireme by Robin Lous - FINISHED - Dusek - Scale 1:72 - First wooden ship build

Sometimes it is just easier to push through and do a bunch at a time. Monotonous yes but then you are done! Off to a good start and I know that when you are done they will be another great addition to your bireme. :)

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Go with the flow ... the wood will tell you what to do ;) I wish you good fortune making the oars. A good decision to make them all in succession

See yah (in a week's time???)

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

You'll need a drink when you finish that lot !

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Thanks gentlemen!

(Turned 34 and cutting the 0,5 mm blade strips. Wasted 1 oar so far...snapped while turning)

59c17ad766245_biremebuild101.jpg.ad40770672470f4dd2cf40976ce1eb2c.jpg

Received some books.

The VOC Duyfken is on my Christmas wish list and the Osprey Hoplite book will be handy soon, because I ordered some miniatures.

I won't plaster my builds with miniature soldiers, but 1 or 2 to add some atmosphere and to give it a sense of scale.

And...it's been a while since I painted miniatures. It's fun to do some on the side. 

Never a dull moment :)

Robin (espresso and a Frapin VSOP cognac atm)

Edited by Robin Lous

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Behold my self inflicted misery!  :D

59c17a910c220_biremebuild102.jpg.10525ff7268bd548a46b9ed74c39919f.jpg

And so I invented the word "boaring".  :P

Well it's actually not that bad, only mediocre stamina involved so far.

Finished the turning and I'm now glueing on the side strips, so I think I'm doing pretty ok.

I lost 3 while turning, but I still have 61 left, so I can mess up another 3 down the road.

Today I received the 1:72 scale Greek hoplites from Caesar Miniatures. An obscure brand, but they're the nicest available. The Zvezda hoplites are ok also, but I don't need a charging phalanx...I only need a couple of hoplites at rest.

Truly beautiful are the Victrix miniatures, but they're 28 mm scale (at about 1:60), so I can't use them.

More about this on sunday or monday....until then...oars, oars and some more oars.  :unsure:

More soon guys!

Robin :)

Edited by Robin Lous

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

post-25688-0-19753000-1478304963.jpg

pfff! i really want that disk sander. Done these "hecho a mano"...my hand hurts now.  :(

More soon,

Your getting there! I see a very nice collection of oars ready to start rowing your ship out to sea. :)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Today I worked from 9 until 7, so I didn't had much shipyard time, but....

59c17a1c91101_biremebuild104.jpg.051d3543b78b63a56c6c04e24dcc6295.jpg

No skin left on the tip of my index finger...time to do something else tomorrow....

The Caesar Miniatures 1:72 scale hoplites....59c17a426205f_biremebuild105.jpg.4635018e855b272734cb3382f7b566fd.jpg

Again...only 1 or 2 needed...and perhaps a single shield on the railing somewhere behind one of the steering oars.

Not even sure I'll fix them to the deck....to be decided.

The quality is pretty good. Fairly hard plastic (that's a good thing) and minimal flash. Good details and historical correct. The seperate shields are neat, but I'll replace the spears with scratch build ones. I'll remove the bases and glue them on very thin acetate sheet. When one goes on the deck...I'll remove the base and pin it.

So...tomorrow I'll take a closer look and see what I can do with them.  :rolleyes:

More soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

Thanks guys!

The spear....

Oh dear, oh dear...well, let's say the supplied spears aren't impressive. :rolleyes:

I used 0,5 and 0,7 mm brass sliding tube to make a new one.

0,5 mm for the shaft and 0,7 used for the counterweight spike (nicknamed: salamander crusher), the leather grip and the spear-head.

Removed the base and made a new thinner one, cleaned up the flash and a white basecoat.

Ready for some paint  B)

Robin

hoplite01.jpg

hoplite02.jpg

Edited by Robin Lous

I cant believe the care and precision of the work you are doing. I am just so impressed ! I have a Viking boat to do soon and am hoping that Santa will be bringing a bi and a trireme so, might I ask where you got your figures from ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Not finished yet, but getting there...

hoplite03.jpg.f49b06b2e390356eefbe7601288257b2.jpg

Mike...they're kinda hard to find, but still available on ebay.

Some ask rediculous prices, but I got them for a reasonable price from a seller in Taiwan.

More soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

Thanks!   ......but

Looks horrid....double the real size and straight underneath my magnifying lamp. :blush:

I probably repaint the shield to all bronze and I expect to receive shield decoration decals soon.

Nice figure. Good work. Remember it should look good, I believe, from "normal viewing distance", so about two feet. What it looks up at super close range At double size is a bit unfair I think. You´re doing great.

Done!

bireme%20build106_zpscoyuxhfi.jpg

Feels like....

Pfff!

I can now continue with the mast, stay, sail and rigging.

Will probably do the steering oars somewhere in between.

From friday to monday we're a long weekend in Paris and I work the rest of the week, so not much will happen until after Paris.

More soon though,

Robin

Were the oars meant to be various lengths?

Only kidding!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Well...that's not a silly question / remark.  :)

Triremes had different lenghts for different levels, Not sure about the Dusek trireme though...I'll figure that out soon enough.

For this build I did a test and measured before I started to make the oars.

The historical lenght (9.5 cubits / 4,22 metres) used on triremes worked fine for my build also.

The dusek plan oars are 7 cm....mine are 6 cm (the 9,5 cubits). This works for both levels.

Note...I lowered the oar holes. Top row 2mm lower and bottom row is about 4 mm lower.

This makes a difference, because "my" oars touch water closer to the hull.

Nice you hope to receive these kits for Christmas. I'm sure you'll enjoy building them as much as I do.

I'm eager to start working on the trireme.

59ce56c673588_biremebuild106.jpg.31be268c86ad3a8d507ffe33b70363e2.jpg

All the oars needed.

Edited by Robin Lous

Well that will certainly stop me from trying to be so b......dy clever won't it? It has just given you another opportunity to display your undoubted skills ! I humble myself before you. I really hope Santa brings me some pressies too - perhaps we can do a trireme together?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Just a thought Robin, why did you choose the Dusek version as opposed to the Amati?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

To be honest...I think the Amati is anything but Greek. Maybe something else, but I think it's some sort of fantasy design.

The Dusek kit is obviously based on the images we have from Greek black pottery, maybe not perfect, but close enough.

Thanks for that - I will revise my letter to Santa!!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Those oars came out very nice. I too was expecting to have two different lengths of oars but now that you explained it that makes sense. Looking forward to seeing them on board and ready for use. :)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

To be honest...I think the Amati is anything but Greek. Maybe something else, but I think it's some sort of fantasy design.

The Dusek kit is obviously based on the images we have from Greek black pottery, maybe not perfect, but close enough.

Plus from what i have read in your log the Dusek kit is supplied with better woods :)