Greek Bireme by Robin Lous - FINISHED - Dusek - Scale 1:72 - First wooden ship build

Normally I give your posts a "like This" :) .

But your post N° 368 is the first one i should give a "dont like" :(  :(  :( .

Ik zou zeggen 
  • kin omhoog
  • borst vooruit
  • en ... nieuwe blokken maken.
  • Rome is ook niet op één dag gebouwd

In English :

I would say
  • chin up
  • chest forward
  • and ... make new blocks.
  • Rome was also not built in one day.

Good luck with the new blocks

ps,

Actually, I also had to laugh a little first (sorry)

Groetjes

Greetings

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

You behaved very chivalrous, I don't know what I would have done if all my little bling blings (PE) would have vanished in thin air ...

It is the easy way out to get them by order now though ... not even considering to make them a new ... you know: Practice makes perfect ... ;) You could use some practice in preperation of your trireme, the other bireme, for you did make all those oars ....

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Simple solution is.....buy seedless grapes

The wooden blocks arrived today! 

My more or less forced break didn't stop me from buying stuff left right and centre.  :D

More books...can't have enough books! Name plate and extra cannons for the Kolderstock Duyfken, drill bits and a resin ship's boat....also for the Duyfken. Last but not least...a "Keep calm and carry on" poster. For the fun of it and to remind myself of my shipyard duties.  :rolleyes:

The wooden blocks are very nice, but I still need to shape them a bit to what I need.

Bigger hole, they're a bit too thick, so I'll sand them down to the required thickness and I'll sand them to the teardrop shape I need. Probably more work then remake the lost ones from plastic sheet, but I guess plastic bits are frowned upon, so it's okey.

Back on the job now!

Robin :)

bireme build127.jpg

Edited by Robin Lous

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

• 1 month later...

Hey Robin,

Didn't have a look at your Bireme build until now. Looking good.  I made a Bireme as well for my son (ho studied archeology) and than started a scratch trireme in the same scale. This turned out to be a huge thing of about 1 meter length.

Picture of how far I am now:

IMAG1870.jpg

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello guys,

Sorry about me being mia for a while. 

I had a "frustration break", I lost momentum when these blocks disappeared from my desk.

It's also very sad what Photobucket did...I won't pay $400 per year to show my photo's on a forum, but it ruined this topic big time.:(

I still have all the photo's of course, sadly not here anymore.

It's back on my bench now, so...more soon!

Robin:)

pentakontor.jpg

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

I tried to edit my previous posts to add all the photo's again.

That worked for the last couple of pages, but at some point it says I can't edit a post because it's too old. Such a pitty.

When someone like to see older photo's...give me a shout and I'll show them in a new reply.

Damn you Photobucket! :default_wallbash:

Welcome back Robin.

Groetjes

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Robin,

Good to have you wandering in again. With reference to the missing pictures, you could make a composition of most previous (missing) pictures  to show what you've done ... just an idea ...

Looking forward to some progress,

cheers mate

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

welcome back! Never mind the pictures, they are just pictures. What is on your desk, in real life is what matters! Great build

Thanks guys! 

Apart from the photo's taken during my vacation last year on the first 2 pages and 2 others down the road all photos are back!

Uploaded them to the forum and put them in the right posts (I hope)...I hate untidy topics! :rolleyes:

Was fun to read the whole thing again. Small ship on a long and exciting journey!

Robin:)

A new plan de campagne...What's left to do?

-The haunted blocks, I'll make them again and store them behind barbed wire and a minefield until I need them.

- Attach the yard and do the rigging.

-The 2 steering oars.

-The ladder.

-A temporary base to place the oars neatly.

-Place the oars.

-The ram.

-Other stuff I can't think of right now.:P

I presume it's best to start with a couple of fun jobs...the first will be the ram!

59c2a484c76f2_biremebuild128.jpg.f2a39aa952caf3b080eab7d217dddeec.jpg

The copper sheet after a year outside....after cleaning. It was completely covered under a thick layer of dirt.

Nice natural patina! 

Well...here I go again! More soon!

Robin :)

Probably a bit, but it's fairly easy to stain copper with chemicals, so I can always create new or more weathering.

The construction of the ram is very basic.

14735652461_dfd7c063a9_o.jpg.435acf710618c21a37ff4ec6b856ef18.jpg

I use this 1st century AD bireme ram found on the bottom of the Black Sea as an example.

I'll clad the sides of the ram with copper sheet and a strip with folded sides like on this photo to cover the edge and tip of the ram.

This simple (cheap and lightweight) design was probably most used on light ships....like mine. :)

Even though I had this little monster sitting in front of me for ages...I never took notice of how small the ram actually is.

It's just 3 centimeters long! :o

59c58995722e2_biremebuild129.jpg.0b605dc5b0c87363f6a8c24b525eb14c.jpg

So I grossly overcomplicated my ram construction plan. What I had in mind is plain silly for this tiny little ram!

Yesterday I ordered a sheet of 0,2 mm thick bronze to replace the copper I have now.

When I get it I cut a strip that goes over the ram from the bow to the keel and I'll clad the sides with it...that's it.

Folding the edges...I skip that idea...the thing is just too small for that.

I also ordered ammonium chloride to get that typical weathered bronze green patina, but maybe it's nicer to leave the bronze as it is.

To be decided.

So still nothing to show, but I found the missing photo's, so the topic is now tidy again. 

Yesterday the admiral picked up the bronze sheet for me, but I sadly can't use it.

Only 0,2 mm thick, but it's way to stiff too work with, so I'll use copper sheet.

59ce5cbda2865_biremebuild130.jpg.31ba6bd774ba167d83a8b668eadab9b1.jpg

I cut the strip that goes over the ram and made a rough template to cut the sides.

I make the ram slightly longer and give it a square tip.

More soon!

And...the template was a bad idea after all, because the root of the ram need to follow the shape of the bow. Forgot about that.:huh:

So, a different approach...

59ce6eac5ab86_biremebuild131.jpg.565489f36be3619833e26fd8f6581422.jpg

An oversized sheet of copper and shape it to match the bow...one side at the time.

Glued in place...when the glue is set, I'll cut off the excess material and do the other side.

59ce6ec60cf66_biremebuild132.jpg.afe28b363d441bf72409657b57ef3ffa.jpg

This will take several hours, so I have the evening off. :rolleyes:

So far so good...and by the way... since the copper is so easy to bend and shape (0,15 mm thick), I'll make a new...wider...strip that goes over top and fold the edges after all.

Clever idea, should look cool when done

Thanks Don!

Started with cutting and filing the side of the ram..

59cec60a0db96_biremebuild133.jpg.5537c317e2d62cfd4369b80dbb4d7539.jpg

Not finished, but it gives an idea about what I'm doing.

Maybe this is interesting for those who like to use bronze, brass or copper...

How to get the bronze green finish?

59cec616a2893_biremebuild134.jpg.50f68d16746099610de5684720989318.jpg

Ammonium Chloride (NH4CL)...now that sounds toxic doesn't it?

But you can actually eat it...sort of...at your own risk of course. :D

It's used ...in the Netherlands...to make "salmiak"...some sort of wicked salty liquorice.

But...to the point...it's fantastic stuff to get the bronze green patina.

Mix with water until you get a muddy paste. cover the copper surface with it and let it rest for a couple of hours.  Rinse with water, let it dry and voila...bronze green. When the effect is too much...you can rub it with a wet or dry tissue.

Some testing and you'll see what can be done.

I'll do that after I finished the construction..

Edited by Robin Lous

More ramming...

59cfebb71cb0d_biremebuild135.jpg.bf35aa4b4e4dfe87a3b7c8fb223a6e13.jpg

Finished both sides and cut, filed and sanded into the shape of the ram.

Made a wider strip to go over. 

59cfebb82916a_biremebuild136.jpg.f7050617ad66b0e604f8cbb89058d221.jpg

Fixed the strip to the ram.

I now must cut the corners of the strip to be able to fold the edges.

Not sure how to fold it yet...I probably need to "micro hammer" it. We'll see. :huh:

Hammertime!

59cffea11ad10_biremebuild137.jpg.ce57bb4896e57f247977d95fe2343127.jpg

59cffea22b09d_biremebuild138.jpg.0475f4007d5a093db8e91e4d7ed5efdb.jpg

59cffea3465e3_biremebuild139.jpg.446de32bcf01cb41b9586586f7e88062.jpg

Oh...that wasn't difficult.

I made cuts on the corners with the PE micro saw (mentioned before) and started to fold with a wooden popsicle stick (also mentioned before somewhere:rolleyes:).

Finished the folding with my old X-Acto hammer with the round bit.

Finished the ram...ex bronze green patina, but I do that later. When I do it now the patina will wear off, because the ram is a safe place to hold, without doing any damage.

Keep in mind the ram is only 3 cm long.

What's next? The steering oars and the ladder.

More soon,

Thanks Martyn!

@Messis...yes I do, it's the trieres ram found in the Mediterranean Sea near Israel.

The ladder..

A Greek bireme without a ladder is like a Swiss cow without a cow bell.:rolleyes:

59d115130d01d_biremebuild140.jpg.8750c9540b12b3317dd9a36c0bee9559.jpg

1x2mm basswood and thinned down cocktail sticks.

59d115142effb_biremebuild141.jpg.d23727217b2a4ac40d72c45f70651df0.jpg

Ladder was used when the ship was beached. 

59d11515dd43e_biremebuild143.jpg.c1799cb78c7d76071e66d88e9e5dcf8e.jpg

Attached to the railing when sailing.

Steering oars are next.