Robin Lous

Greek Bireme by Robin Lous - Dusek - Scale 1:72 - First wooden ship build

380 posts in this topic

Merry Christmas to you all!

The kind people here make my build even more enjoyable! I'm not even sure I could manage to do it without you guys.

Not even asked for much advise, but the encouraging words are very helpful.

I'm so looking forward to continue and finish the bireme. 

Extreme december business now.....think 450+ customers per day who need advise and gifts wrapped. It's insane!

The shipyard will go full swing again soon...right now I'm glad I survived the day!

Thanks guys!

Robin

I'm back on the shipyard!

Things slowed down early december and I've done nothing at all the last 2 weeks, but now it's January and I have the time, peace of mind and energy needed to work on my build again.

Where was I? Ah! yep....the mast!

Here I go again!....more soon!

Robin :)

cog, donrobinson, hof00 and 4 others like this

bireme%20build126_zpsbfy3elrf.jpg

Mast done.

Nothing spectacular and the only reason I post this is because it's a "I'm back on track" photo.

So I placed the mast with the 6 stays attached to it (1 goes forward, 1 goes to the rear and 2 to each side).

I now must do the blocks. One on each stay and the same amount of blocks attached to the ship to tention the stays.

I'm still struggling with the proper nautical word for them. In the Dutch language...and nautical terminology... these blocks are called "jufferblokken"...dead eyes in the English language. The Dutch language makes no difference between one or three eyes. They serve the purpose of a dead eye block...just 550 BC...with one eye. It's what the ancient Greek used. English nautical terminology call one eyed blocks...heart blocks.

I just don't know how to call them here.  :(

Pfff....anyway....the first update in almost 3 weeks.

Now...12 blocks (give them a name...I don't know) to do to attach the stays to the ship.

With some luck....monday.

More soon.

Call them what you want it's your log! :D

I do like to try to use the proper word for a part both for my education and that of who ever is reading my post. That being said, I still don;t always do that. Often times I am trying to explain something that either I or my readers do not fully understand and therefore common wording must be used. I run into that a lot on facebook when I am sharing with my friends and family. If I use wording like abaft, gunwale, bulwark, even port and starboard they can easily get lost. At that time I have to decide how much typing I want to do. Do I explain every term or do I just simplify? Simplify usually wins.  :P 

Anyway, welcome back to your build! As you said, it may not be much but it is another step forward and a little closer to finishing.

hiya EJ!

Yeah....the difficulty is...we (the Dutch) have the odd habit to feel superior, because we used to bully half the world with our infamous VOC.

We find it hard to realise we're no longer on top of the food chain, so we keep pretending...against all odds and reality.

Aren't we cute?  :rolleyes:

About Facebook....search for my name. Friends and family are my wooden ship adventure cheerleaders. 

When I tried to explain....it's not a good idea to slam a bottle of champagne against the bow when finished...they simply claim the bottle to drink! (clever gits!) It's tough to be Dutch! ....specially since we have to deal with the Dutch each and every day ourselves!

EJ_L, mtaylor, donrobinson and 2 others like this

I'm back on the shipyard!

Things slowed down early december and I've done nothing at all the last 2 weeks, but now it's January and I have the time, peace of mind and energy needed to work on my build again.

Where was I? Ah! yep....the mast!

Here I go again!....more soon!

Keep going you can do it - we will all join you for a slipway lauching party :) :) :)

OC.

mtaylor, cog, EJ_L and 1 other like this

Disaster struck!

Remember these?

bireme%20build094_zpsiowrhzt7.jpg

The 23 blocks I made (I need 17 of them)....They're gone  :(

Today I was ready to attach the blocks to the stays and to the receiving end...on the deck and to the sides of the ship.

I made my coffee...cleared my (messy) workbench and was ready to do the job.

The small plastic cup (until last week) with them in front of me...on the cutting mat....with tools, glue and whatever.

Only difference...the cup was empty. No blocks....gone!

"Darling? you have an idea what happened here?"

"Those grape seeds? I threw them away if you don't mind"

"Oh...please...say that's not true"

"What?"

"My blocks!"

"Your what?"

"Took me days to make them!"

"They looked like grape seeds"

"Never mind  :( "

Sigh!

Oh no!!!! Reasons why I am glad my Admiral stays out of my shipyard. We each have our own spaces that we do not mess with the stuff in there. At least this time you know how to make them so it is just the time required to build and not to design. 

As horrible as that is, the story did make me laugh a little. Forgive me though as I do feel your pain.

Yeah...it's completely my own fault (so glad I put the finished oars in a box...in a drawer...a "me only" drawer), but we had an argument over it.

"but...I thought!?!?!"

"you can think anywhere...but please don't think in my room....just don't!...it's my little place"

"but...but  :( "

"ok...get your coat...we go to a restaurant"

"yay!"

"from now on...grape seeds are BLOCKS...at least in MY room!

"aye aye sir!"

It really was my own fault...my desk IS a mess! ( but it's my mess!)

I now ordered ready made blocks (with more "stuff" of course!)  B)

When I was building my AVS,my son spread all the eyebolts and rings all over on the carpet in the livingroom,took a day to collect them kneeling and scan them inch by inch,it was fun,still found some weeks later.

Normally I give your posts a "like This" :) .

But your post N° 368 is the first one i should give a "dont like" :(  :(  :( .

Ik zou zeggen 
  • kin omhoog
  • borst vooruit
  • en ... nieuwe blokken maken.
  • Rome is ook niet op één dag gebouwd

In English :

I would say
  • chin up
  • chest forward
  • and ... make new blocks.
  • Rome was also not built in one day.

Good luck with the new blocks

ps,

Actually, I also had to laugh a little first (sorry)

Groetjes

Greetings

You behaved very chivalrous, I don't know what I would have done if all my little bling blings (PE) would have vanished in thin air ...

It is the easy way out to get them by order now though ... not even considering to make them a new ... you know: Practice makes perfect ... ;) You could use some practice in preperation of your trireme, the other bireme, for you did make all those oars ....

Cheers

EJ_L, Robin Lous, mtaylor and 2 others like this

The wooden blocks arrived today! 

My more or less forced break didn't stop me from buying stuff left right and centre.  :D

bireme%20build127_zpsqxmne1gx.jpg

More books...can't have enough books! Name plate and extra cannons for the Kolderstock Duyfken, drill bits and a resin ship's boat....also for the Duyfken. Last but not least...a "Keep calm and carry on" poster. For the fun of it and to remind myself of my shipyard duties.  :rolleyes:

The wooden blocks are very nice, but I still need to shape them a bit to what I need.

Bigger hole, they're a bit too thick, so I'll sand them down to the required thickness and I'll sand them to the teardrop shape I need. Probably more work then remake the lost ones from plastic sheet, but I guess plastic bits are frowned upon, so it's okey.

Back on the job now!

Hey Robin,

Didn't have a look at your Bireme build until now. Looking good.  I made a Bireme as well for my son (ho studied archeology) and than started a scratch trireme in the same scale. This turned out to be a huge thing of about 1 meter length.

Picture of how far I am now:

IMAG1870.jpg

Have read the complete thread to the last posting........now I set with baited breath to see the next photo of your build.

I am about to start a Dusek Cog.  I pray to the build Gods I do half as good of job as you have.  You have mad skills my friend.

Cheers Rick

IMG_2071.JPG

Torbogdan, donrobinson and EJ_L like this