Greek Bireme by Robin Lous - FINISHED - Dusek - Scale 1:72 - First wooden ship build

The new "open look"  :)

59c5848e2cf3c_biremebuild018.jpg.2b04a57e5b22ce23e269405d274bbe57.jpg

Finished all the frames...and my target for the day (that's a first!)

More soon,

Robin

Edited by Robin Lous

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Looks good, Robin. So what'll you do when you didn't reach your target? To bed early ;) I saw you weren't buolding side by side your two kits. Is that to avoid conflicts between your work forces ... ;)

Am enjoying your build so far

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Lol no....building 2 simultaneously is a bit too much. I never build a woorden ship before, so one to start with is plenty!

Thinking of the second already also through. When I have several options, I do one now and the next...next bireme.

More soon,

Robin

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Today I replaced the plywood stern decoration with a new one made of basswood. Slightly larger.

I think it's a dolphin head, but when you think it's a swan, duck, seahorse or Nessie...I won't feel offended :P

The filler blocks make it a strong construction again...same with the new bow "spar" btw.

59c585e64f8aa_biremebuild019.jpg.716c8f7f4f85980bdc466a3a0de0e42f.jpg

59c585efc5167_biremebuild019b.jpg.98aba496e0febcf893864eef26e399ac.jpg

59c585fcd62cf_biremebuild019c.jpg.d23587e4d26a41481dfde61443deaebe.jpg

More soon!

Robin  :)

Edited by Robin Lous

Hi Robin.

Ime going to follow along on this one if you don't mind.

Very interesting modifications to the kits.

Two kits... I would have built one to the plan and instruction and the other with all the mods..

Have a nice holiday.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Thanks for the encouraging words guys! much appreciated!

Where I am now...

59c5869252777_biremebuild020.jpg.28b5dcc49f99d2885a420049730a36c7.jpg

Finished the framing and did the forward and aft decks.

Top and lower deck, rower seat beams...there for the show.

I salvaged the 2 side decks...I cut them up to make the lower centre deck from. Will be 2 parts, so I can slide them in place when I'm ready for them.

Finally it start to look like something. Until today it was a pile of bits and pieces...now it's a "thing"!  :D

More soon,

Robin

Edited by Robin Lous

Always a nice day when you can finally start to recognize all those pieces as a ship and not just a pile of funny shaped wood. Looking good! :)

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

A thing ... :huh:  ... thought you were building a bireme ...

Nice skeleton you've ended up with

Err...yes...it's a bireme work in progress (penteconter with 2 oar levels for Greek historical accuracy purists).

I can't remember I somewhere said it's ready, but when I did...sorry...it's not yet finished...sorry  :(

59c587ae5bc1a_biremebuild022.jpg.89200a2e0a60d7eac705ab42ddfc1254.jpg

Finished the lower deck and glued on the centre top deck. Did part of the deck planking before I glued it on, because it's easier to do it on the bench I think.

I'm also making 2 hatches in the deck.

More soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

Thanks Frank!

All good things must end...after 2 weeks in the Bordeaux wine region we go back tomorrow. A stop over in Normandy, so we'll be back home on sunday.

Glorious weather, great wine and food...and plenty shipyard time.

59c58818131a5_biremebuild023.jpg.155dabf48218cf6b607349cc89e1d50c.jpg

Shipyard packed for now :(

Next week I can continue my build on my trusted work desk...with good internet!  :D

See you guys next week again.

More soon!

Edited by Robin Lous

After a fairly uneventful journey home....back home!  :)

59c18a276347a_biremebuild025.jpg.92ca66afb7dd0c4419ec58585f4e0d48.jpg

It was a great vacation, but it's nice to be back home also. 

Time to unpack and continue my build. 

I finished fairing the frames, but before I start planking the hull I'll do some deck surgery.

I'll add vertical beams in between the frames. They'll be additional deck support beams and continue to be railing posts above the deck.

More soon!

Robin

Edited by Robin Lous

Welcome home! You do have a nice set up there for building. I'm looking forward to seeing more as it develops.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Shipyard in business again  :rolleyes:

59c18a6ac189d_biremebuild026.thumb.jpg.6cb915024c435761b0710155c1c6dfb7.jpg

59c18a83216b5_biremebuild027.jpg.51fcedf79b3e4d17662c03ae7794e1cc.jpg

Reworked the deck to prepare it for the railing. I removed the planking above the frames for a better railing post attachment there.

And removed chunks of the deck where the railing posts will go down to form additional deck support beams.

I think these extra support beams make sense and they'll make the railing construction much easier and a lot more sturdy.

I'll do the railing later and I wait with finishing the deck planks until I did the hull planking there. Need to finish the rower seats now, because I need to slide in the lower seat beam before I can start planking the hull.

So...boring seats tomorrow...I ran out of excuses to do other things first  :(

More soon,

Robin

Edited by Robin Lous

On 17-8-2016 at 10:19 PM, Robin Lous said:

I'll scratchbuild a lot to modify the seats. 1x1mm beams to support the seats and foot rests...the foot rests themselves and a side support on each side of the seat.

Each seat will go from 1 to 7 parts. An oarsman can't row without a proper foot rest. Specially the top row. There's no deck below the oarsman there. It will be a right mess with their feet dangling, they'll pull themselves off their seats when they use some force to row, so foot rests are a must.

from 50 to 350 parts to start with  :blink:

So...boring seats tomorrow...I ran out of excuses to do other things first   :(

What a job! Me and my big mouth  :(

59c18ad8d4002_biremebuild028.jpg.25d4305e66b04eca1f34379a41736ad8.jpg

But I managed!

A 2x2mm beam, with 2 1x1mm support beams per seat. The seats, seat side supports and the foot rests are made from 0,5mm thick wood cut to size.

So indeed the 7 parts per seat. I copied the seats used on the Olympias Athenian trieres reconstruction.

Edit: note the first seat has no foot rests, because nobody behind him to use them...and the last rower has a seperate set, because there's no seat in front of him.

Maybe the added detail won't be very visible on the lower seats, but they will be visible on the top seats (I hope).

But...I come from a strange planet where people detail and paint cockpits and hide them in a plane when finished....so I'm a bit odd :D

More soon!

Robin

Edited by Robin Lous

Every oarsman brought his own cushion made of sheepskin with  him.

I think you can compare the "luxury" with modern time sport rowers...none whatsoever  :D

But...keep in mind these ships were made for relatively short stay on the sea. Most battles were fought near the coast.

The ships hardly ever stayed out for more than 6 to 8 hours. The ships were normally beached to dry and to feed and rest the crew after that time out..

Longer journeys were divided in short legs...along a coast line or from island to island

Nice video of the sea trials of the Olympias trieres...you can see the oarsmen (and women) rowing.

...note the comfort (and my seats! between 7:10 and 7:50 some good foot rest views also)   :P

Edited by Robin Lous

Today I finished the second rower seat beam and stained both.

Also made the two deck hatches and ladders underneath them.

What's next? Hull planking  :( (scary job)

59c18b2f197bc_biremebuild029.jpg.fa8aaa72c11ecb3246393ad0cf03f323.jpg

I'll start working again tomorrow, so I can't start the planking before sunday.

Perhaps I do some test bending before sunday, but nothing to show before sunday or monday.

More soon!

Robin :)

Edited by Robin Lous

It's coming together nicely. I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of.

You're doing a very good, methodical job, and it shows in your results.

Steven

Thanks guys!  :)

I try my best, it's fun!

Working on the top seats now and practised bending hull planks.

Not even that difficult (phew!).

What worries me a bit is...the planks are only 3mm wide and 2mm thick...making neat stealers will be very tough....I think  :(

We'll see...more soon!

Robin

Make stealers with wet wood and use lots of small passes with the blade not one big cut. The wet wood will help prevent the blade from trying to follow the grain :)

Edited by Cobr@

Thanks for the advise Bob.

The odd shape of the bow and the raised stern will cause me headaches here and there I guess, but I just start and I'll try to spot issues before they become...issues.

Robin :)