Greek Bireme by Robin Lous - FINISHED - Dusek - Scale 1:72 - First wooden ship build

Checking the pinning of the stantions...

59c181789ff9f_biremebuild090.thumb.jpg.860b919fa5eae54bf0c04c1ecc1f28af.jpg

Yep....the pinning works!

Most likely the most stupendous action you guys ever seen on this forum, but I was curious and couldn't resist.  :ph34r:

I'll never ever do that again....what was I thinking? It went well, but... geez!

Robin :)

Edited by Robin Lous

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

And here I thought I was daring just putting my bowsprit and spritsail topmast on early! I guess no one can question if your build are structurally sound. Well done! :)

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

I finished the railing on the rear deck.

Did it the same way as the centre deck railing and made sure the height and the distance between the stantions are the same.

From the side it looks like a continuing railing now.

59c18124c5927_biremebuild091.jpg.433b50aaf8632d9f8a068804bfba8941.jpg

More soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

She looks great Robin, the rails are incredible

Pinning is very good, gives extra strength. In the best of worlds people do not touch models but my ( and probably you all) experience is that people just cannot resist touching models. Most often "fragile" parts, and oops they break something. So pinning is smart! I wonder why non modelers need to touch things? And since they are non modelers they do not know, if they absolutely have to touch, how to touch lightly or the more sturdy parts (like the hull…) It is always the small, fragile parts. :angry:

Absolutely beautiful and I am glad to see the return of the lubrication!

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

The bottles are just the running gag in my posts.  :rolleyes:

Back to my build...for the rigging I use a photo I found (credits to MESSIS I think, but not sure).

It's a reconstruction of a Greek trade. The rigging is extremely helpful to me and I copy it almost 100%..

rigging.thumb.jpg.c0f06eac00eced155c016aa24d3e58b3.jpg

I color coded all the ropes, so it makes sense to me. I'll also copy the 3 part (instead of 2 part) yard.

This is typical ancient Greek ship rigging and it can be used on trade ships, triremes, biremes, pentekontors...anything ancient Greek.

To make this work I need a slightly longer mast...more going on above the yard.

More soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

Minor update, but I'm very happy this works out and it isn't even that difficult. Another hurdle taken!

The hearts. I planned to make them from 0,5 mm styrene sheet with brass wire in the centre. I replaced the brass with styrene also.

59c17d46a90c2_biremebuild093.jpg.03fca0745b14d6f7c52487a462fc44d9.jpg

Punched out 4 mm and 2 mm circles from the styrene sheet. Glued together, drilled a hole and shaped them with a fine sanding stick.

When I finished them all, I'll paint them dark brown and varnish them.

The finished example on the photo is just under 4mm. I need 21 or 23 of these. And 2 slightly smaller ones.

More soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

Nice work

Funny,

We use the same tool to cut round circels from styrene sheet.

A simple tool which cuts always nice round shapes.

Groetjes 

Greetings

Patrick

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Yep! it's very handy. Cheap and sturdy.

I also have some Punch and Die sets, but I only use them for really tiny punch outs on even thinner styrene. 

Well....I tried to make them from wood, but they're just too small. I tried, but the result wasn't as nice and way too fragile to withstand the tension.

Now they look good, they do the job and they're more or less the right size. A bit of paint magic is needed of course.

So, I think this is the best choise. Better good looking plastic than bad looking wood.  :rolleyes:

More soon,

Thanks  Messis! I love to see more of it. I'll message you my e-mail adress.

Next year I'll visit the Olympias trieres and I'll make loads and loads of detail photos of her. I'll share them with anyone who like to see them.

Thanks again,

Found 36 fantastic photos showing about all I need to know in my mail box....

messis.png.5b22f916e7817879d98b6651ba6b44f4.png

I've not much to show at the moment. Been a bussy week, but I finished the hearts....

59c17cfea094c_biremebuild094.jpg.4da1b20262ebaa83c312811fb1621133.jpg

Painted them a mix of mahogany and panzer red brown, a layer of gloss varnish to protect the paint and a final layer off matt varnish.

With the photo's MESSIS mailed (good timing! :)) me I can now start working on the mast, stay and rigging.

So far not a very productive week, but that's okey.

More soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

Well...sometimes. On most plastic models, because decals can look bad on matt varnish ("silvering" and water and decal glue stains) and they're a pain to apply on matt. So, gloss varnish....then the decals and matt varnish to finish with.

Since I have to work with ropes now, I was afraid the paint can chip or wear off. Acrylic isn't that tough. 

Gloss varnish is an extra insurance, not sure it's needed, but better safe than sorry.

Here we are again...

59c17dabcb0d9_biremebuild095.png.abf712c9370294177aafbf71732b8635.png

With the photo's MESSIS provided I can figure it all out. Takes time, so I'm slowing down a bit at the moment.

But....I did some more. The oars I promised....

59c17dde753cd_biremebuild096.jpg.c03ffdcc4011adb2311aea239f813e63.jpg

Olympias (origninal) oar plan.

To bump performance they equiped the Olympias later with oars with teardrop or paddle shaped blades.

These oars are not historical correct and I wondered why, so I asked a friend who was a university rower (in younger years).

His verdict: larger (teardrop, or whatever) shaped blades perform well on calm water, but are less suitable for rougher sea condictions.

The Olympias only goes for a swim when the weather is nice, so straight blades make more sense for sea going "real" ships.

So...making the oars...

59c17e2b75f38_biremebuild097.jpg.42bfdab1f433712e8132e96efafe2456.jpg

With the Dusek tutorial video...it's a piece of baklava to make them.  :)

59c17e9174552_biremebuild098.jpg.4c36ec75f86290a9fe1b6f8411c6d8c1.jpg

After turning the 2x2 mm dowels, using my proxxon flex shaft...low speed...I call them "roughs".  :rolleyes:

The 3 types of oars.

59c17eda3aace_biremebuild101.jpg.504b3b4268ebe0cae432df94ca318b7e.jpg

The Dusek plan oars are too long and have narrow blades, so I glued 0,5 mm wood strips to the sides before sanding the blades and adjusted the lenght to the historical 9,5 cubits (4,22 m).

The third is the Olympias "cheater" oar. (1 mm woode strips)

I'll use the historical correct (Olympias type I) oar.

Furthermore...made some more pin rails, but not worth showing.

More soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

Nice quick lesson in oars. Thanks for that information and once again I have learned something new on this site. :D

Now to repeat that process many, many times..... :P

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

The finished oars after final sanding and staining.

59c17c3370a81_biremebuild100.jpg.08c9f168170e54fe05adfe5d23644fc1.jpg

Painted the blade of the "Dusek oar" black. Like the Argo replica oars.

The Olympias has it's teardrop shaped blades painted white. Probably for observation and / or camera visibility purposes. Likely not historical.

On 30-10-2016 at 5:18 PM, EJ_L said:

Now to repeat that process many, many times..... :P

Yes.... :blink:

Well...they're pretty easy to make and I think I can do a batch of 5 in an hour. I'll try to do one batch per day..on the side.

Tomorrow I'll start with attaching the 3 heart blocks to the top of the mast. My first step in the world of rigging.  :rolleyes:

More soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

Thanks Frank....and thanks to all who follow, like or just drop in.

I like the oars also, but I think I can thin down the shaft just a tad bit more...also a somewhat more pronounced transition between the shaft and the loom.

It's good to look at my own photo's with an open mind.  :D

Back to work now...oars to make and hearts to fiddle with.

More soon,

Robin

Hi Carl,

I didn't thin down the looms.

I made the shafts longer and slightly less bulky and shortened the looms.

This is more historical (see Olympias oar plan) and I think it looks better.

I abandoned the idea to make batches of 5. Instead I go full swing oar mass production :rolleyes:

58 needed, 50+8 spares (spares attached to the centre deck railing), so it will become boring to do small batches.

I cut to size and marked all and turned 1/3 of what I need yesterday.

It will take me a week or so to finish the whole bunch, but better this way I think.

They're made of alder wood....turns very nicely.

More in a week,

Robin

Edited by Robin Lous