Endurance

Julie Mo

I just finished reading Endurance by Alfred Lansing.  It's a reprint of the original written in 1959 and tells the story of the Antarctic expedition of Ernest Shakleton and his 27 man crew .

It was a little over 50 years ago that I read Shakleton's Valiant Voyage, a 98 page quick read by the same author.  That book stuck in my head because it was the first book I read that I couldn't put down. but I remembered little else.  When I ran across the reprint of Endurance, I had to pick it up and see if it was as good as the short version.  It was better.

Anyone who wants a refresher of this amazing story or if you never read the story, I strongly recommend it.  For much of the book, my jaw was open in disbelief.  It kept me up into the wee hours reading because I couldn't put it down.

I've read a number of stories of the sea that told about man faced with the fury of nature - In The Kingdom of Ice, Voyage For Madmen, Fatal Storm, Gathering Wind - but this book more often had me wondering, how on earth did these men survive?  And all of them did, which may be the most remarkable thing of all.

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35