Washington Galley by Pirate adam - 1:48 scale POF

I am taking a break from my HMS Alfred to build the Washington Galley from the NRG plans.  I will start with the obligatory shout outs:

- The plan set by Jeff Staudt is fantastic.  

- I am using the timber package in Swiss pear from Crown Timberyard.  The wood from Jason is beautiful and has been great to work with.  I am also planning to use some of the extra castello boxwood from my Lumberyard Alfred timbering set, which is also very nice.

- I have learned so much from all the build logs on this site, and I wouldn't even know where to start on a build like this or Alfred without all the tips and pictures from everyone.  Thank you to all.

Adam

Adam:

This is great news - another Galley Washington build log.  I will be watching with anticipation. 

There should be more build logs of this project by now with plan set #68 having been mailed out on Friday.  You will be one of the pioneers. 

Take care,

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

First step was constructing the building board.  The building board was inspired by the one in Ed Tosti's Naiad build log and books.  I used melamine coated MDF for the board.  Two slots were cut into the board and two parallel sections of T-track were screwed in place level with the top of the board. I also attached some bracing to the back of the board with scrap lumber to add some stiffness and make it easier to pick up.  

I drew a centerline down the middle of the board and attached the framing drawing to the board with spray adhesive.

post-743-0-57072800-1471996023_thumb.jpg

Next step was building some fixtures to properly attach the keel to the building board.  I used moveable fixtures to hold the stem and the stern post.  This makes everything removable and should allow me to readily re-use the building board once I cut my Alfred model from its upside down Harold Hahn-style building board.

post-743-0-88289000-1471996863_thumb.jpg

I am using brass wire for the drift bolts.  I though about leaving these out, but I am pretty happy I didn't.  I am going to leave them natural brass color.  This is the back side of the frame, as the drawing is still attached to the front.  The color should pop a bit more as the pear wood darkens over time.

post-743-0-39622000-1471997130.jpg

Adam,

This looks both interesting and very good. Guess I will be one of the first to pull up a chair, to watch this build.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

hi adam

nice work so far!

just be careful with some of those drift bolts on the forward and aft frames......some of the frame drawings dont show any bolt locations.....if youre tempted to put them in you may find them getting a tad close to the frame edges when you come to fair the hull.......or it could just be my build!!!!!

shall be following avidly

cheers....mick

Forward and aft frames could be bolted safer by drilling shallow holes from each side independently, after initial pre-beveling. That is easier to do comparing with a full-depth single hole. Nobody wll find out that you have two short bolts instead of a single long one ;)

Did it on my model, worked like a charm, even on a really bevelled frames.

Edited by Mike Y

Great to see another Washington build.  Mike's idea of two blind holes after beveling is great.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Here I have finished shaping the hawse pieces using a combination of a drum sanding attachment in a Dremel tool and hand sanding.  There is some additional fairing to be done to the cant frame once it is attached to the keel with the other frames.  I didn't want to mess it up for now.

post-743-0-17434000-1472693163_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-58718000-1472693264_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pirate adam

• 4 weeks later...

Good progress and nice work Adam. I will following your log with great interest. I just received my Washington plans in the post today. They are wonderfully done. I haven't yet decided on a wood species, but I am leaning towards maple or basswood as I have both in my shop and also some walnut and other sorts that might be useful for trim here and there. I also have some small chunks of pear in case I can find some use for them. This will be my first ship model so I'm sure I will pick up a lot of helpful tips from your log. Now I just have to mill the wood (not a fun job) and then start building!

Mike,

an American living in Norway

Current build:  Galley Washington - 1:48 - Scratch POF - NRG plans

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...