Washington Galley by Pirate adam - 1:48 scale POF

• 2 years later...

I have been a bit of the passenger on the site as late, but work on the Washington has continued in fits and starts over the last couple of years.  Construction has picked up nicely as of late, and I think we may just end up with a finished galley at some point :)

Here is the latest look at work to date.  I have treated a lot of the pear wood as well as the decking with a layer of tung oil.  Decking is holly.  I'm super happy with the look especially on the areas that were coated a year+ ago.  I am planning to leave the gun deck more or less as-is with half of the beams exposed.  I'm still deciding whether or not to add another row or two of planks below the wales.  I have seen models either way, and both look fine.  Next up I will start with the internal planking.

Adam

Ship 1.png

Ship 3.png

Ship 4.png

Ship 5.png

Ship 6.png

• 1 year later...

I have also spent the last several months learning some new skills.  I turned all of the cannons and swivel guns on a Sherline lathe.  There is a whole bag of practice cannons before I got to these.  IMG_4443.jpeg.3b328d158da252af0380c18411a6f882.jpegIMG_4444.jpeg.4beeecf76c006135464fd61b7decdbe7.jpegNext I need to learn silver soldering to finish these guys up as well as the various other metal working on the ship.

• 10 months later...

Nicely done.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Closing in on wrapping up the galley.  I am underway with the rigging.  Nothing is glued yet, so lots of loose ends of rope.  I had a lot of mental debate about mounting the yards inside or outside of the shrouds.  I ended up going with the instructions and mounting outside the shrouds.  I'll admit I'm not sure I see how this would work in practice, but not sure how it would work the other way either.

Next I will move on to making the anchor and the swivel gun mounts.

IMG_5725.jpeg

IMG_5726.jpeg

IMG_5727.jpeg

IMG_5728.jpeg

Great job ! 

What thread do you use to make the rope? 

I really don't like the polyester thread recommended by Chuck.  It doesn't behave the way the old Syren rope behaved.

And white glue doesn't work on the polyester.  That causes the rope changes color when you glue it.  That nice brown rope turns to black.

I'm going to go to various yarn/sewing shops to see what I can find.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

7 hours ago, KenW said:

Great job ! 

What thread do you use to make the rope? 

I really don't like the polyester thread recommended by Chuck.  It doesn't behave the way the old Syren rope behaved.

And white glue doesn't work on the polyester.  That causes the rope changes color when you glue it.  That nice brown rope turns to black.

I'm going to go to various yarn/sewing shops to see what I can find.

Cheers.

Ken,

I used the Gutermann thread recommended by Chuck.  I haven't had much trouble with gluing with white glue, but it does darken the color a bit.  I have used a drop of CA in a couple spots that I really wanted to make sure stayed glued.  Next time I am going to be more careful with the heating and stretching step to make sure I don't end up with lines that want to twist when stretched.  I had some issues with that on the shrouds.

Adam

• 1 month later...

The split in the planking below the gun ports in the stern view opened up during the dry weather related to our recent arctic blast.  Fingers crossed that it closes back up when the weather warms up.  I need to take this into account for my next build, because I normally work in the garage where it is cooler and RH is higher.  I brought it inside the house to work on the rigging at pretty much the most inopportune time from a climate perspective.