Hello from Virginia Beach, VA

ftnemtst

Building my first wood ship model, the 1819 Schooner Virginia.  Had a few glitches but was able to overcome them, Karl's site with the pictures as he built this was a lot of help.  I'm temporarily stuck now on how to attach the rudder.  The written instructions are possibly the worst I've ever seen.  They attempt to help by giving you a picture pamphlet that is supposed to go along with the instructions but unfortunately, the pictures don't show the more difficult areas.  Also the instructions just list part numbers.  It would help if the part numbers had a key showing the picture of what the part was.

Anyway enough about the griping about the instructions.  I've got the rudder ready, got the brackets out.  I understand the basic idea on how to put it together but don't quite see how to put the brackets together.  Unfortunately, neither the instructions, picture pamphlet or Karl's site explain this.

Can anyone help?

Welcome!

Try the search feature to search the kit build logs. There are at least ten build logs for Virginia, including several finished ones. You should be able to find what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome to MSW! As Chris said, you should be able to find some answers in another build log on here. If you get the chance would love to see pictures of your build. Start up a log and share as I'm sure others would enjoy it as well.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to the crew.

What's your name?   I don't think ftnemtst is it :>)

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 6 months later...

Hey howya goin mate welcome.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.