English Pinnace by MikeB4 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24

I'm back to start a new project. This time I'm going to attempt to build the English Pinnace. This is in a larger scale than the eighteenth Century long boat that I built last, but is still going to be a challenge to plank. I'm going to attempt to bend the strakes with heat only and not use any water. This is the advice that Chuck gives in his video. I'll see how that goes for me.

post-7274-0-54110000-1472424447_thumb.jpg

I've cleaned up most of the char. I put a 1/16th of an inch wide strip of masking tape down the bottom of the false keel, leaving 1/32nd on each side to become the depth of the rabbet.

post-7274-0-79999100-1472688582_thumb.jpg

Edited by MikeB4

My progress is moving along. I've got the false keel beveled and I've glued on the stem and keel. Everything looks straight.

post-7274-0-42662800-1472860358_thumb.jpg

post-7274-0-65506200-1472860375_thumb.jpg

post-7274-0-05485800-1472860406_thumb.jpg

Edited by MikeB4

This build has caught a snag. As I was starting to get ready to removing the bulkhead frames from their sheets, I noticed something wrong with one of the three sheets. Come to find out Model Expo accidentally put a sheet of bulkhead frames that belong to the eighteenth century long boat instead of the one that belongs to this boat. This leaves me short 36 parts that are on this sheet according to the list. I called Model Expo but they're closed this week. I hope they will send me the right sheet of parts even though I have had this model sitting in my closet for several years.

Hey Mike - just started this myself yesterday. I didn't notice the wrong bulkhead sheet - but I wasn't looking for it either. How did you determine? Mine seem to be numbered/lettered properly.

Only thing I have noticed is that either the keel or false keel was a little warped. Unfortunately, I did not check before gluing them. It's not terrible, was going to try weighting it down on a glass pane for a while

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

The first thing I noticed with the sheet was that it was a little thicker than the other two and doesn't match up with the slots on the false keel. The numbers and letters don't match with the blue print. Everything on the sheet in question just doesn't match size wise either, the parts are to small. I have no doubt that it belongs to the Long Boat kit because I've already built that model and am very familiar with it.

Edited by MikeB4

I went back and rechecked my sheets. I believe they are the proper ones but 1 entire sheet - the one that is 8 frames - has no identifiers on the parts. I punched them all out and tried to line them up by width, I think I have them correctly marked now.

Not exactly a great start......I feel for you, having to wait for a replacement.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

• 2 weeks later...

I want to give a shout out to John Garcia of Model Expo for good customer service. I wish all companies where like this. My missing parts have been shipped.

ME does have a pretty good rep. Glad they are living up to it.

• 4 weeks later...

That stinks Mike. I hope you get some resolution soon. I am working this kit in between some others. Got the frames laid and the first strake of planking on. It was rather difficult. Quite a few folks opted for spiling the planks. I have gone with the instructions and am trying to bend them. Including edge bending. Also had Crown replace the kit supplied wood with pear. I suppose that might be why the plank bending is more difficult.

Don't give up the ship!

I've sent another email to Model Expo to find out why I haven't received my missing part(s) yet. It's been a little over a month since they responded and said they would send me what I am missing.

I'm surprised you didn't get the missing part sheet Mike.  I've had two issues with parts from ME, and in both cases the replacement sheet was at my door in about a week.

I did all of my communicating with them via their web-form for tech support, or via email.

Sweet B)  Just curious Mike - do all your frame pieces have an identifier burned in? I had one whole sheet of frames that did not.

Yes all the bulkhead-frames where marked. I went ahead and dry fitted them to the keel. all but two fit nice and firm and the twelfth one broke on me. Nothing that a little CA won't take care of. I'm also wondering if I should drill the holes for the brass pedestals before I glue the bulkheads on. 

post-7274-0-93067400-1477481426_thumb.jpg

thats going tobe a very fine boat Mike,

love the shape. I would also arrange for holes and secure fastening points for the pedestals at this stage...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Mike - something else to consider. After installing the frame pieces, fairing is a real bear. The frames are so thin they flap around as you run a file over them. I was really afraid of breaking them. And there is some serious fairing that needs to happen, particularly at the bow.

I ended up dribbling thin CA all over the knock out part of the frames. It did help to stiffen them up a bit.

Have you decided if you are going to try bending the planks or spiling them?

I'm going to attempt bending the planks. I had some success doing it that way with building the long boat. This boat will have different challenges because of the size difference. I'll see how it goes. 

It is coming along nicely. I also just found your longboat build. Nicely done! Best of luck with the plank bending for this one. Hoping it goes smoothly for you and is a little easier than the longboat. I am following closely, as this is my next build as well.

Steve

I agree Mike. The bending is doable particularly if you stay with the basswood. You just end up having to do both bending types on the same planks. That's what I started to do. The first one is the worst. After that you have something to glue the next plank to.

I finally got the frames glued in place. I also stabilized the frames by putting wood strips in between each bulkhead. I applied only a small amount of CA to one side of each strip. This will make it easier to remove them after the boat is planked. I wish I had done this for the long boat build. This not only makes it easier to fair, it will also keep the frames in their proper positions when I start planking the hull.

post-7274-0-63947900-1478338789_thumb.jpg

Mike - won't the blocks come out when you knock out the inner part of the frame?

Mike,

It's probably much easier to get the center bulkheads separated if the wood strips are out of the way. The reason being is there are three points at which each removable bulkhead attaches to each frame. The procedure for removal is to cut the top two contact points at port and starboard, Then carefully snap the bottom contact point thus releasing the bulkhead. If the strips are still in place you would have a difficult time trying to snap free the bottom contact.

Edited by MikeB4

Good work Mike,

I see very nice lines....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50