Akagi by Farbror Fartyg - Hasegawa - 1:700 - PLASTIC - as she looked before the 1935 rebuild

Nice blending of colo(u)rs on your decking. Making plastic look like real wood is an art.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

great job on the planking color........absolutely love it!  :)

on a ship this small.......great idea to add locator pins inside the turrets.  it copies the process they do on larger kits........the little plastic ring that goes over the locator pin........and did you achieve it?..........I'm sure you did!  ;)     nice work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

great job on the planking color........absolutely love it!   :)

on a ship this small.......great idea to add locator pins inside the turrets.  it copies the process they do on larger kits........the little plastic ring that goes over the locator pin........and did you achieve it?..........I'm sure you did!   ;)     nice work!

Thanks!

No, i didn't add a ring to hold the pinned turret in place, if that's what you mean, so the turrets are both movable and re-movable.

I don't think I could have done it even if wanted to - the bottom of the piece the turrets are on sits directly on top of the bit below it, so there's no room to add anything underneath.

Don't think it's going to be a problem. There's going to be a deck above the turrets, and it doesn't look like there'll be enough air between the turret top and that deck for the turrets to come completely loose. And, if I see someone holding the ship upside down, they'll get a headbutt. 

Thanks all around!

... scholars and gentlemen both, etc, etc

You're too kind ... I'm just another chimp with a brush collection.

Sam

"If you scratch my back, I'll scratch build yours."

Ah ... Friday beer and plastic kits - the finer things in life.

I've attached a thing or two.

post-5830-0-68107400-1474044471_thumb.jpg

One of the things being the most outlandish ship's funnel you're ever likely to lay eyes on (admittedly I'm far from "well travelled" when it comes to funnels.). 

post-5830-0-20490900-1474044490_thumb.jpg

Edited by Farbror Fartyg

pretty neat!   porting it out on the side leaves plenty of room for the flight deck.   nice match up of the second deck area  ;)     looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

pretty neat!   porting it out on the side leaves plenty of room for the flight deck.   nice match up of the second deck area   ;)     looks great!

I'm trying, I'm trying.

A few minutes ago the admiral came into the kitchen (where I'm sat) to get something from the fridge. Passing me, she said in her very special "Oh-by-the-way" tone of voice: "Why is the colour of the upper deck different from the lower one?"

Aahhhh that funnel.

Yes the IJN had some unique ideas about carrier construction and operations. Some good, some not so good. Considering it took us till 1943(?) to be able to have multiple carriers put a ballanced strike package together simultaneously when the IJN were doing it before '42 is a testament to how far ahead of us they were. Their damage control features, not so much.

Really enjoying watching you build this.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

From where I'm sitting your admiral needs a pair of specs ... but you know how it is. Light, pictures, colours differ under different circumstances ... I wouldn't like to get on her bad side though ... To me it looks particularly good!

The funnel is a nifty one. I have to admit the Japanese were always good in improving existing things. One of their strong points I might add ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

For those who want to do this version in 1/350 - good luck. To the best of my knowledge, the 1/350 is the 1941/42 version.

As for the wood colour - they used hinoki cypress and not teak. FWIW

I thought that was later.

As supplies became harder to come by, and the need to conceal certain construction projects became more acute, they switched to hinoki. That's what I've heard. I'm not going to argue about it though - I'm not in any way an expert (if there are experts out there, feel free to get the knuckle dusters out). 

For those who want to do this version in 1/350 - good luck. To the best of my knowledge, the 1/350 is the 1941/42 version.

As for the wood colour - they used hinoki cypress and not teak. FWIW

Found this hope it helps.

OC.

post-7946-0-19273600-1474054072.jpg

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

OC,0

Ccan you get that at 1:700 scale ...?                                                                                                                                              ;)

Carl

Yerr and aye.

Repainting is on the menu ... or maybe it isn't? 

Aargh the suspense ....

Those of you who read the inaugural post of this thread will know that the Akagi isn't the end. 

Looking over the instructions for the kit, it looks like we haven't got all that far to go and I'm already thinking about what to build next.

At the moment the Fusô is number one on the list, and she had wooden bits too. 

Perhaps you'll get to enjoy her with decks in glorious creamy light brown.

Seriously though, I'm not going to commit seppuku over colours. 

Like I said, I'd like to stay in the ball park, but it doesn't have to be slam dunk.

As long as you feel you've won, when finished ... that's what matters

Yep.

That summarises what it's all about.

BUT!

Keep the info coming!

One of the great benefits of build-logging your build is all the input you get.

Hinoki or teak ... It may not really matter in the end but it's jolly interesting. 

absolutely!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The turrets and their surrounding area have recieved a lick of paint.

post-5830-0-53251000-1474115525_thumb.jpg

post-5830-0-41525400-1474115549_thumb.jpg

post-5830-0-77980100-1474115565_thumb.jpg

Boats the size of over cooked jasmine rice grains are also under the brush.

post-5830-0-26426100-1474115611_thumb.jpg

Sam

Sam,

Those wooden decks ... I do love the way they look. The close up shows a slight colour difference, but it doesn't distract from the rest. Nice progress, you seem to be able to give some form to those rice grains ... must have been hard to paint them an even grey ... ;)

Cheers

Carl

nice bit of paint work.......I had to look toward the beginning to see if there was a lower deck.   the third picture made me think....it's dark under there.   I enjoy your imagination,  but where your trying to go more towards being correct,  resourcefulness will serve you better.  I've found that thinking inside the box,  can be harder that outside.   laying down the groundwork,  and deciding on a good direction,  it gets a lot easier.   but I'm sure you know all that.  ;)

Just glad that I saw your build when I did.....I enjoy your work  :)

{I'm play'in hooky from work today.......I'm a bad boy   :ph34r:  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Decks look great! :)

It's also nice to see the barrels came with blast bags. Well done Hasegawa! 

Robin

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Not sure how I missed the start of this log, but i'm here now! I just LOVE that deck. I wouldn't be game to build anything that small, i'd be terrified that I can't get all the detail that I want into the build. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

• 5 months later...

After a particularly long and nasty trek through the bleak and arid land where no ships are modelled, I'm back with a bit more Akagi.

(If you added up all the Dutch 17th-century shipping I've eyeballed during my absence, the English would be outnumbered about 200 to 1, but just looking doesn't count, now does it.)

Not much, but I've painted and attached a boat or three.

akagi_boats.thumb.jpg.80c036cddcf07b2c7f31d273b310fd45.jpg