Akagi by Farbror Fartyg - Hasegawa - 1:700 - PLASTIC - as she looked before the 1935 rebuild

AKAGI 1927

So here I am, sat at the kitchen table, a bottle of Asahi Super Dry in front of me.

My katana is hanging on the wall - I can't see it from where I'm sitting, but I know it's hanging there ... approvingly.

The only thing missing is a stirring marching tune, blaring from cracked speakers, and the picture would be perfect.

I'm building the IJN Akagi.

post-5830-0-54400100-1472933540_thumb.jpg

I have no intention of stoking the fires of the silly kit vs. scratch debate, but I almost feel a bit ... disoriented here in the kit department.

The scratch build section is where I usually hang my hat, and my darlings generally have sails and had their keels laid down before 1700.

I don't really know what happened. They found the Musashi, and I sat through every minute of the 2,5 hour Expedition Live Feed.

Then it was on to IJN battleships on Wikipedia ...

I suppose the fate of all those lovely ships got to me; the wastefulness of it all. 

The Dai nippon Teikoku Kaigun deserves a bit of resurrecting, albeit in 1/700 scale.

The plan is to assemble a little fleet of IJN ships.

We'll see how far I get.

Anyways, I picked the Akagi as the first ship because she is a bit of an odd one, with her three flight decks.

An aircraft carrier is also completely new territory for me - thought it might be fun.

WWII is fairly new to me in modelling/painting terms.

(I've only built Russian tanks and painted Finnish infantry before this project.)

So I'll take any expert advice, cheering on, pointers, source material (English, Japanese, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish are all OK) etc. I can get.

For those interested in the subject, here are some links:

The Kit

post-5830-0-64111200-1472933308_thumb.jpg

The kit looks nice and detailed and the instructions seem OK. Although I did find som (mandatory) japlish. 

post-5830-0-05233100-1472933699_thumb.jpg

It's good that the black isn't TOTALLY gross, just semi gross.

The kit certainly includes the most minuscule aircraft you'll ever see.

post-5830-0-13102400-1472933771_thumb.jpg

No kids or pets around so I might leave the planes loose.

Weeelll, the sprues have been washed so, here goes.

Sam

"If you scratch my back, I'll scratch build yours."

Good luck, I will be following

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

This looks very interesting, Sam. I'll follow along, also.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

The lower part of the ship is supplied as a bottom plate and two side pieces.

The sides are really long and springy, and bit awkward to work with.

To someone building this kit, I would suggest assembling the bottom bit in the following way:

Look at the numbers in the photo:

post-5830-0-64323300-1472987842_thumb.jpg

1. Take the sides and stand them on up on a flat surface and make sure they line up properly. 

Glue them together in that position using just the middle two joining pieces. 

Hold until the glue hardens. Ignore the bottom plate for now. 

2. When the glue has hardened, insert the joining piece in the stern (or bow - I don't think it matters) and glue the stern/bow together.

3. Repeat the above, nr 2, procedure for the bow/stern.

When the sides are securely glued toghether, check to see if the bottom plate fits (I had no problems with it) apply some glue stick it all together.

Painting

I've reached a stage where there are bits that will have to be painted before Mr. Glue is introduced.

We had a roll-call this morning to see who's still with us and who isn't in paint box.

Managed to assemble a decent collection militay-ish greys, browns and greens.

post-5830-0-78438300-1472987919_thumb.jpg

I'm not going to go into chemical analysis to get the shade of grey just right, but I would like to at least stay in the ball park as far as colour is concerned.

Any advice here is mucho appreciated.

cheers!

Sam

Well oh well.

I reckon something like that is going to work.

post-5830-0-59849300-1473014013_thumb.jpg

The grey (Tamiya Dark Sea Grey XF-54) is a bit ... off ... but I guess it'll look OK.

I decided to add som subtle shading and highlights - at this tiny scale the eye needs some cues or the detail of the kit might get overlooked.

Sam, here's a site on the Nihon Kaigun; http://www.combinedfleet.com/kaigun.htm

Different sections for the various classes of ships.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Sam,

I've got the Musashi (go rin no sho would mean something to you ... considering the shingen on the wall, or is it a true blade ...) waiting for me to start. Some home improvement first though. I'll be looking forward to  see your Akagi take form ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Looking very good - I to will follow as I am plastic building at the moment

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Sam,

I am hiding in a corner at work waiting for a surface coat to flash so in am apply the second coat, figured I would sneak A peak and see what is going on at MSW (shhhhh don't tell anybody) I stumble upon this pulling up a chair to watch.

You asked about reference material/books, I don't know how much it will help the build, but if you want to know more than you will ever need to know about IJN flight operations check out Tully/parshel(?) Shatterd Sward.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

I'll second Sam's (src) recommendation. Excellent book. Five stars from me.

Ken

You like updates. I like updates. Win Win.

I decided to paint the deck below the lowest flight deck up nicely even though it will be practically invisible once said flight deck comes on. 

post-5830-0-88431900-1473188277_thumb.jpg

Which it has.

post-5830-0-40833000-1473188328_thumb.jpg

"If a job's worth doing, it's worth dy(e)ing for."

Sam

I'm trying to decide on a colour for the wooden decks.

Painted me up some colour test.

1. (Base - Citadel "Graveyard Earth" highlight Citadel "Desert Yellow")

post-5830-0-74186900-1473192224_thumb.jpg

2. (Base - Citadel "Khemri Brown" highlight Citadel "Desert Yellow")

post-5830-0-60407000-1473192262_thumb.jpg

post-5830-0-13348700-1473192386_thumb.jpg

What do YOU think, ladies and gents?

Sam

That is not what I meant. Planks usually run from stem to stern or vice versa, but your wood looks a bit like a single plank for the entire deck. As a plank it looks good, although, as deck it looks strange to me.

Carl

hello Sam....what a cool looking build you have here  :)    gee......I've probably done at least one carrier.......larger than than this one though.   perhaps penciling in some lines for the planking, might enhance it a bit......but the one on the right looks good to me.   it does kinda knock it out of scale with the grain though......perhaps blonde veneer with a weathered look might be better.   it's nice to be following one of your builds again  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you all for the input!

It is much appreciated!

I should have been clearer about what I meant yesterday, my bad (While I was doing the test strips I suddenly realised that it wasn't Friday, and that I had to get up the next day ...).

This is how the deck in question, unpainted, looks on the model.

post-5830-0-69046500-1473267055_thumb.jpg

As you can see, there isn't much that can be done about the direction of the planking, even if the real thing had been planked width-wise. 

The test strips

They aren't meant to represent single planks! 

Since the planks are modelled on miniature, I figured I'd start by giving the deck a darker base-coat, and then dry-brush with a lighter colour to bring out the individual planks.

THAT'S what I was trying to get across in the test strips - the lighter bands are supposed to be the individual planks, picked out with dry-brushing.

I see now how no one in the entire universe would understand that from looking at the photos ... not one of my brightest art moments ...

Colour:

Yeah, I know the real thing had teak decks.

And that teak is often a more reddish brown sort of colour.

The thing is, I did some nosing around on Google, looking for pics of aircraft carrier decks, and teak decks in general, and to my eye many of them look a sort of sandy brown.

The painting guide for this model, and others, also suggest using "Tan" for the wooden decks. There are slight variations, but the colour is light, sandy brown.

That said, people perceive colour differently.

I'm also looking for something that will work in the scale in question - how will the deck look on a ship seen from afar. 

And Sam, thanks for the tip!

Shattered Sword  definitely looks like a book I might enjoy reading.

Added to wish list!

Edited by Farbror Fartyg

The Test Strips

Art is a pain in the hiney. I know, my father was a dress designer, I've followed art school, and I still can't get across what I want  ...

Colour

(Finaly someone who knows how to write the word ;) ) Maybe try a light underground, and dry-brush a reddish (teak) colour on top. Define the planks by drawing a dark line, to represent the seam between them ...

Painting guids are what they are GUIDES. Teak isn't sandy brown, it is reddish brown and if not maintained with oil, it turns brownish grey

An established deck in teak, looked at from afar .................. grey-ish I would presume

Beat you to the the book :D bought it from a seller in Germany

Doitashimashte, Fartyg-san

Edited by cog

Carl

The Test Strips

Art is a pain in the hiney. I know, my father was a dress designer, I've followed art school, and I still can't get across what I want  ...

Colour

(Finaly someone who knows how to write the word ;) ) Maybe try a light underground, and dry-brush a reddish (teak) colour on top. Define the planks by drawing a dark line, to represent the seam between them ...

Since you mentioned art (yes, a mention is enough), you probably realise that the statement "There are no true colours." is the beginning of a slippery slope that descends into realms upon realms of wild eyed, cheese munching insanity ...

Your painting suggestion is a good one. I'll do some tests.

Better man those coastal defences!
There are people who WILL go to war over the spelling of the "C"-word.

Sam

Being Dutch with the risk of turning into a double Dutch corrupted mind, as a cheese head I should know ... there are no true colours ... having said that, there are primary colours from which we can derive all colours we can imagine ...

Discouragement is all the defence you need ... turn your opponents power onto him-/herself (aikido)

Carl

After some painting, some thinking, and then some more painting and thinking, the Akagi has a planked lower flight deck.

post-5830-0-47793600-1473878131_thumb.jpg

The deck has received several washes and dry brushes, using slightly different tones of woody brown.

It turned out a tad darker than in my original vision, but I'm quite pleased with the result nonetheless. 

When viewed from a distance, all the different washes/dry brushes come together in a way that kinda mimics the way a deck is made up of planks with slightly different tones (due to natural differences in the wood, wear etc.)

It has proven completely impossible, at least with my photographic equipment, to do the effect justice in photos ... but it's there ... trust me. 

(or maybe I'm all nicely bundled up in the local loony bin, on medication, imagining everything.)

Turrets

I wanted movable turrets (who doesn't?).

showing how I went about it will allow me to introduce one of my secret weapons, meet Mr. Guitar String Drill:

post-5830-0-59421700-1473878234_thumb.jpg

post-5830-0-45469400-1473878248_thumb.jpg

post-5830-0-43898300-1473878263_thumb.jpg

post-5830-0-01292300-1473878285_thumb.jpg

post-5830-0-27052800-1473878335_thumb.jpg

post-5830-0-74618100-1473878308_thumb.jpg

post-5830-0-39513800-1473878372_thumb.jpg

I have some very nice 1:700 scale ship models with full detail sets sitting in my closet. Looking them over, each time I think I might build one, I get scared away by the extreme small scale. One of these days I am going to get started on one even if I screw it up.

For me it's the other way around. I come from a 1:72 - 1:48 war gaming background so I'm used to tiny soldiers and tanks.

I get intimidated by some of the humongous builds you see here, and the big kits in the hobby stores!

A bit like moving from frying hot dogs to four course dinner ...

Build those kits - you won't regret it.

Oh, and post 'em.

Sam