La Couronne by yancovitch - RADIO - Finished

Good thinking, no matter the source of the idea! I think that will look real good. Stretched thin the way it is does resemble a Chinese paper lantern in terms of the texture and framework.

Are you going to leave the sock white or color it red? Most of the lanterns I have seen in pictures seem to show them red but I wonder if that would have been accurate or if they would have been white or clear? The ones supplied with mine are red and while I am thinking about building my own lantern frames to make them look better (if I can), I had planned on using the red lens to put back inside. What do you think? 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

hmmmmm....not red for sure, cause when i install some orange led lights, they will look orange in the dark obviously :)....so during the day they will be white....but....i think i'll warm them up a bit ..amberish, when i spray them.....(i sprayed the frame white)....could have done a better job with soldering the frame, but i figure i'll leave that option open after completing the ship...maybe then, i'll experiment with a clear epoxy covering type of lantern...we'll see......

That is more of what I was thinking. They would have a white or clear film or glass on them and the light would be typical candle/torch light which would be amber. I figured the red glass has probably evolved over the years due to the fact that we now put red lights on the back of any moving object and the designers of kits just think that way.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

ok...made the entrance way, although the steps are a bit too far apart, which i can't change now....got pirates of the caribbean figures which i may modify ..or not :)....they may be a bit too large....i don't know......added the bell and did a lot of work which is not evident :) ........... have to make two more smaller lamps....

Edited by yancovitch

ok...made the entrance way, although the steps are a bit too far apart, which i can't change now....got pirates of the caribbean figures which i will modify ....they may be a bit too large... :10_1_10: .i don't know......added the bell and did a lot of work which is not evident :) ...........will  have to make two more smaller lamps.....will look for some amber tint......

post-12143-0-22591400-1485721307_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-45394500-1485886460_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-90246100-1485886478_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

• 3 weeks later...

wasn't gonna post any shots till the basic hull was finished, but i thought i'd add one here and there, cause i don't keep any records of the progress at home ....so at least it's somewhere :)

was tired of looking at the bare side of the barn..especiall at this scale, so i added some windows...this time i use art resin which was a bit expensive but they didn't charge shipping and i oversprayed with uv protected satin urethane by minwax, and to also dull the gloss.....decided on some fancy supports for the chanels, cause i figured it's a fancy ship......added the gunport lids but not installed until i paint the insides red.....gads...my wife is keeping tabs on how much i'm spending, and it's about $2000 cdn. so far including electronics.....maybe i should have bought a kit haha....but it shouldn't be much more than that to complete...oh....i will eventually line all the windows with some leather cord or whatever you call it....for jewlery making...........getting flags printed may be a problem for a french ship ....with the british it was easy and cost little......cornwall hobbies gave me an estimate of 140 to 180 pounds.....scratch that................anyways....a la prochaine

post-12143-0-05750000-1487294066_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

Yanc,

I am totally in awe of your build. I showed it to my wife and she said, "that's a big one. It must be easy to build one that big". The I pointed out the details like the fleur de leis embedded in the blue trim and "oh my"'. I can't wait to see her sail.

Regards

so very kind, fellows....thanks.....and that's an astute wife haha.....and she's right......for me at least, it's much easier to build big.......at least, scratch building....you can more easily shape and pick up parts between your fingers without them poping out and dropping god knows where....ha...even in this size, i must spend a substantial part of my building time, on my knees, looking for parts dropped....another reason for building big haha......amazing how a piece can drop straight down and be often nowhere to be found, expecially on a small build......i'm constantly procrastinating finishing the rigging on my confederacy, cause it's so painstaking small to work on.....

but as soon as i finish the basic build of the couronne in the basement,  i'll bring it up stairs in the dining area, as i have no access to the bsmt from the outside, and work on the rigging there, and, try to work on the other ship at the same time.....very litte mess to be made at this time......wife's been so helpful and supportive....bless her.........

and for r/c the bigger the better, so it looks more realistic....not bobbing up and down on the waves :)

Edited by yancovitch

• 3 weeks later...

She truly is an incredible build! I would love to build one that size but that may still be a while down the road. Till then, I will enjoy yours! :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Wow that is one beautiful ship.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

I try not to think of how much work I still have left to do overall as it can become rather frustrating. Instead, I try to keep a close up view and stick with small goals. Complete a mast and a top, finish rigging a set of shrouds and ratlines, things like that. Mini goals make me feel like I am accomplishing something as I cross them off. :)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

might as well show an update.....i don't keep records of my build....only here.............working on the cannon carriages now....and then will have to cast the cannons........then...then....then........THE DRAT LINES........my poor arms.......

oh....looking for some small   1/72 scale figure that i can make coppies of to place on the beak...large to small....or maybe the same size head or bust with a body getting smaller twards the bow......can't seem to find a female at this scale.....may have to make them....we'll see...............

DSC_3187a.jpg

• 1 month later...

She looks incredible! You have done an excellent job and that large scale just adds an even bigger wow factor! 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 3 weeks later...