La Couronne by yancovitch - RADIO - Finished

She is looking great Vic! I've really enjoyed seeing your build come together especially while building my own. Truly a work of art and something to be proud of. Looking forward to her maiden voyage and seeing those canons firing will be a great addition! Merry Christmas to you!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Yeah, that portrait is interesting.  I remember seeing it once, in a bound edition of something pertaining to historic sailing ships, but never again until now.  It appears to be a modern (20th C.) rendering, as it does not follow the conventions of 17th C. maritime artists.  It seems to agree with many known details of La Couronne, though I share the same confusion about Le Saint Louis.

So far as I understand it, that waist deck would be sufficiently supported to carry the launch, but I would have to go searching for examples to verify that that was, indeed, done.  Right now, I am vaguely remembering that this may have been Danish practice around mid-Century.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

A quick trip to the archives, and there we have it:

2479EA23-DA5E-4E5B-A94C-4B727B8140DE.thumb.jpeg.b09ea331191e01b861d054ddc42aadd0.jpeg

The Hannibal as she was in 1659, and the Tre Lover as she was in 1667.  Both of these ships have much earlier origins - closer to the time of La Couronne.  And given the cross-pollination of Continental shipyards, there is little reason NOT to believe that the French did the same.

Happy holidays!!

Edited by Hubac'sHistorian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

ha...yes i found that airfix posting after you made me aware of this.....thanks mucho for info.....actually, i could make the waist deck where i could use it or loose it, but i'll have to check my dimensions....crew height etc. to see if it's feasible, cause i have walkways already installed.......the beat goes on :)....................and naaaaa....my deck configurations are different.....

Edited by yancovitch

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just a shot with billowy sails......more finishing to do before launching......by the way, i think what got me started with the romance of sailing ships, may have be some capt. blood movies when i was a kid......i seem to remember a rear shot of a ship sailing slowly away in the evening with lights on, and some beautiful serene music in the background...this image stuck with me all my life for some reason......

DSC_4038a.jpg

Beautiful! Looking forward to seeing her at sea! It is on my wish list to build one that can actually be sailed. Love watching videos of them on the water. Some day...

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Wow!  Truly amazing!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 months later...
ok..............got her in the water with the help of a friend......first effort was a struggle finding the technique, but we'll have to do it again, and it will be a lot easier, plus we'll take better shots....videos were too shaky, as we were on a boat....now i know how much ballast and how and where to launch.......will make another effort at the proper time........

DSC_4308a.jpg

DSC_4305a.jpg

DSC_4301.JPG

Edited by yancovitch

I agree the larger draft is better.

Your work is admirable. It's a beautiful sailing ship, and actually a functional one. :imNotWorthy::imNotWorthy:

I guess my wife is going to be forcing me to these results as well. :default_wallbash: Ondras

Ondras.

Done : President - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=90230
Under construction : Roter Lowe - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114576

Member of the organizing clubhttps://wchs-c-2023.klom-admiral.cz/en

Wonderfully done Vic. She looks incredible sailing in the water. I look forward to the videos! Congratulations on a job very well done!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart