HMS Sophie from Cruizer kit by jwvolz (Joe V.) - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 - kitbash

Thanks guys.

Jason: Do you have your Snake plans handy? I'd be curious to know the difference in the port size vs. the Cruizer plans. I know I could dig through you log, but did you increase the port size on your build?  Thanks.

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Hi Joe,

The carronade port sizes on the plans are 14mm high by 13mm wide.  Measuring my model, they're closer to 14mm wide and a touch higher.  If you go with carronades I'd suggest figuring out where you will source them (I upgraded to the CC brass ones).  If you decide to use those, then its definitely worth building one up to determine the needed height.  If I had done this, I would have increased the height a little more as its a notorious problem that the 32lb'er can be tough to get correct alignment and not interfere with the top of the port.  It'll also allow you to determine where the lower port sill should be.  Hope that helps.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Jason: Thanks, I'm probably going with the Caldercraft ones, as I've yet to find another alternative in 1/64th, as painfully expensive as they are. I don't have them yet though. So one further question, what is your lower sill to deck measurement on the model? It sounds like I need to make the size adjustment to the top of the port based on your build log. Thanks very much!

Bob: It's another nice Caldercraft kit, with a lot of room for improvement. 

Thanks to all the "likes".

Joe Volz

Current build:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

• 1 month later...

The deck has been laid. I used maple from Crown Timberyard, with a boxwood waterway. . I like the subtle variations and look of the maple, and had used it previously on Granado. I rough counted the treenails at somewhere over 1800 holes...They were done with the drill and fill method. This filler ended up having a bit more contrast than I wanted after staining, but the deck furniture and armament will hide a good bit of the "busy-ness". 

I also hung the rudder. 

On to the deck furniture. 

post-11003-0-99377000-1481124921_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-89965400-1481124922_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-40900700-1481124923_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Beautiful job on the deck Joe, I am typically not a treenail fan but you did a outstanding job on yours. Well done

• 1 month later...

I've completed the hatches and have used the Gannet deck layout to position them. 

post-11003-0-40140600-1483988474_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-96832700-1483988491_thumb.jpg

The companionway and capstan are also complete, but I'm likely going to leave them off until cannon rigging/installation is complete. 

I'm going to base the head off of the sister ship drawing of Epervier in Chapelle's History of the American Sailing Navy. The kit plans and parts are not even close to correct in this area.

Work has begun on the cheeks. These pieces are made from Boxwood.

post-11003-0-67233600-1483988514_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-91844100-1483988539_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Nice cheeks Joe :)  I agree the kit parts on the head are a not that accurate and I wish I'd known what I was doing when I did mine, looking forward to seeing how yours turn out.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks guys.

On another note, I have decided to build her as Cruizer, with the original long gun armament. I couldn't bring myself to toss any more parts from the kit, so I am going to use the supplied brass 6 lb guns, but have ordered replacement carriages from Syren. Maybe another ship in the class at some later point...

Joe Volz

Current build:

Beautiful work - very crisp and clean.  You must get a lot of compliments on your cheeks  ^_^

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 weeks later...

I took a little break from the head work to assemble the Syren  wheel kit I purchased. This is one little gem, and I do mean LITTLE. The span across the spokes is less than an inch. Chuck has done a fantastic job engineering this kit and I can't recommend it highly enough. The online instructions are very clear and well illustrated. The spokes were a bit of challenge, but there are plenty provided and I chose the best of the lot after turning them. I used the kit parts as a template for the pedestals, made them from boxwood and made them a bit thinner and finer in the process. The barrel is a turned piece of boxwood. 

post-11003-0-60646000-1485233899_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-31855100-1485233904_thumb.jpg

Again, BUY THIS WHEEL KIT!!!    :D

Oh, and here's the PE part Caldecraft supplies. Presented without comment...

post-11003-0-43718800-1485233911_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

That's a great looking Cruizer Joe, and I love the effect you have achieved with the copper. :)

I see that Caldercraft in common with their other kits are still indicating the representation of 'iron' rudder braces and pintles over copper plating.

They should really be represented as a cuprous alloy, a problem I got around by painting them a slightly darker brown/copper mix on my model.

Regards,

B.E.

Beautiful Joe.  Something to add to the shopping list :)  

I had placed an order with Cornwall Model Boats a couple of years ago for some other stuff, and thought I would try out various wooden wheels from other manufacturers (the brass wheels are nice, but I'm not a fan of having to paint them).  They all were too thick and out of scale.  Chuck's looks like a great solution.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I bought 2 wheels for my diana

mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Thank you guys. 

B.E. : I think now that the copper has settled into its final state and is sealed I can safely paint the rudder braces to more closely blend with the copper itself. There really are no references to color for them in the Caldercraft instructions. The book is quite thin, and I'm glad I don't need it! I'd hate to be new to wooden ship building and trying this kit with those instructions.

Mike: The wheel should work perfectly for your Morgan, the scale is correct. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

• 4 weeks later...

That's a handsome wheel there Joe and a big improvement.

BE, good to know about the colour of the rudder fittings. I see a paint job on these in Harrier's future.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been busy with a (partial) bathroom remodel but have managed some work now and then on the model. The head is now complete. As mentioned above, it is based as best I could find off the Chapelle Epervier drawings. 

cr128.jpg

cr127.jpg

cr126.jpg

cr125.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Coming along really nicely Joe.  Great work on the decorative elements.

Mike

Well...I've decided to go a different route with regard to which actual ship within the class I am building. I had wanted to use the nice brass cannon barrels supplied by Caldercraft and build her as Cruizer, but alas they will just not work. When scaled out on the Syren gun carriage and barrel plans, they are nearly 18 pounders; not the 6 pounders Cruizer carried. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Therefore I have bitten the bullet and ordered carronades from Cornwall Model Boats. The 6 pound bow chasers I'll get from Syren, as I already have the carriages. With that massive change in plans I have now moved forward and added the bow and stern platforms that were commonly found in the class. I still haven't settled completely on a specific ship, but am leaning HMS Reindeer, which is known to have had at least the bow platform, based on it being mentioned in accounts of her battle with the Wasp. Which ships had the stern platform is far less well known and documented.

The wheel was installed and rigged prior to installation of the aft platform for access purposes. Both platforms were constructed over a basic support framework and planked with the same maple as the main deck, and then treenailed. 

cr20.jpg

cr22.jpg

cr25.jpg

cr26.jpg

cr27.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Lots of progress there Joe. Those platforms look great. Good move on the carronades, it opens up a world of vessels to depict.

Thank Wayne, as well as the "likes".

I received my carronades from Cornwall Model Boats. I ordered the 24 pounders with every intention of building Reindeer. Measuring the Caldercraft carronades out with reference to sizes in this NRG article http://www.thenrg.org/resources/articles/The carronade.pdf they are almost perfectly sized to be 32's, not 24's! The bore diameter is dead on and the length is much closer than it is to a 24. Therefore...Reindeer is out. 

I was rattling off some names from the list of Cruizer class brigs to my wife, and she stopped me at Sophie. It is her favorite girl's name, and if we had had a daughter it would have been her name. So I am naming the vessel Sophie. Sophie did serve on the American station during the War of 1812 and captured numerous merchant vessels and privateers. She was also involved in the battles of Mobile and Lake Borgne, leading up to the battle of New Orleans, so she does have a nice history. 

I re-painted the stern area and made a nameplate, since I was unable to successfully apply the dry transfer letters in the narrow area between the decorative moldings. I wasn't getting even transfer and was losing parts of letters trying to do it that way. 

And yes, I know Patrick O'Brian used the name Sophie for the fictitious command of Jack Aubrey in Master and Commander, but there was a real one too!

cr28.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Here are the completed pumps. Caldercraft does not mention them, but they are on the NMM plans for the class. I made them from a square piece of stock, which was filed to octagonal. The handle and the pivot are boxwood reduced to very small thickness. Further details are the copper wire for the fittings and paper bands. I used a styrene rod drilled out for the outlet. 

They are just sitting on the deck for photo purposes, that's not their final location. 

cr30.jpg

cr31.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Nice name there Joe. Sophie was a contender for me as I've got a daughter by that name, however with three girls I didn't want to explain to the other two why the boat wasn't named after them!  Great links to the war of 1812 for an American with that  vessel.

That stern name plate looks very good and crisp little pumps there. Looking forward to more.