HMS Sophie from Cruizer kit by jwvolz (Joe V.) - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 - kitbash

Thanks Wayne. The wife is happy, so...

In my original plan to build Reindeer I had ordered 12 lb. carronade barrels, as she carried one on the forecastle in the engagement with the Wasp. Now, I have no reference as to Sophie carrying one, but I wanted to build it anyway. I scratch built the minute little carriage and rigged her with the line and hooks as shown in the carronade article referenced a few posts earlier. The wheels are from Syren carriages, turned down to be smaller in diameter, and the hooks are modified eyebolts. I'll hook her to ringbolts in the deck when time comes.

I can now sympathize with Pickle builders, who had to deal with these tiny little buggers!

Fun little project though. 

cr32.jpg

cr33.jpg

cr34.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Lovely work, Joe. I've been having fun this evening reading up on this class of ships thanks to your build.

I love that Joe, really nice detail to add - its fun doing a little scratch work isn't it.  It reminds me of the shortened school buses that my kids find so amusing....

Image result for shortened school bus

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 4 months later...

Hi Joe -- I just found your log, and am duly impressed with your work.  The coppering looks fantastic (and I'm just not going to think about the tarnishing process :o).  I can certainly understand your attraction to this class of ships -- they really do have a charm all their own.

I'll be looking forward to following your progress.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Joe, was fun going through your build log again.  Really nice work you're doing there, and I love how you're personalizing and customizing the kit in enhancing it.  Really nice job!

Just out of curiousity, when working with the tape, are you applying it in strips and marking the tape to give the appearance of separate plates?  Or are you cutting the tape into separate plates and applying them individually?

One other question if you don't mind - I'm planning to try to personal fluid method for my Pegasus (won't eat asparagus that day).  Have you ever tried weathering the tape to get an oxidized green appearance?  I'm hoping to get that look for my Morgan, but am new to coppering. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks guys.

Mike: After stamping the pattern I cut them apart individually. I found them much easier to apply, and was able to overlap. They stretch just enough to get wandering belts back on track easily. 

Years ago I did a build using the same Expo tape, and mixed vinegar salt and water together to weather. It darkened it, but also left hints of green, but not a ton. I initially tried that mix on this batch of tape and it really had little effect. I suspect there may be a different type of coating on this current tape. I went over it with steel wool thoroughly before hand, but it didn't seem to help. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Thanks Joe, that's really helpful.  I'll have to experiment a bit and see if I can replicate the green oxidized look.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike, I had very mixed results with the ahem... personal fluid method. It worked very well on a flat piece of board with sample copper with a gentle brown colouration and nice hint of verdigris but spread into droplets on the curve of the model and left a blotchy appearance.  I rubbed most off with vinegar and steel wool. I'd recommend applying in thin layers and watching closely.

Thanks Timmo.  I'll try some experiments.  The copper plates in the Pegasus kit seem to do well with the personal fluids method based on a Fly kit on here.  The Model Expo tape less so. Maybe the latter has a coating of some sort.

Sorry for the interruption Joe!

Mike

Joe that copper looks great , the project as a whole is looking great keep it up . I will follow along with the progress. She's going to be a beautiful ship

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

• 3 months later...

Time for a long overdue update.

I didn't get a lot done on the model over the summer, but have been busy of late. All of the aftermarket Caldercraft carronades have been assembled painted and installed on their sleds. I substituted small pieces of round styrene rod for the rollers, rather than a simple square of walnut as Caldercraft suggests. I also added breech rings from brass wire. Rather than blacken they were airbrushed with an off-black color, and then brushed with powdered pencil lead to give it a subtle metal look that I think came out rather nice. Breech ropes were then rigged and carronades installed.

The two six-pounder chase guns (not sure of the source, they were in my  spares collection) were installed on Syren carriages  and rigged with 2mm Syren blocks. 

I've also completed the chainplates, which took a little effort. Caldercraft supplies the lower link and toe link as a photo-etch pieces but the middle link is open and just slips on. I had an issue with that not looking realistic, and with the angle of the chainplates they really needed to be of varying lengths, which they were not. I therefore bent some brass wire around varying sized jigs as appropriate for the angle of the chains and soldered the middle link closed. This to me looks much better. 

I have a Syren order inbound with hooks, so I can complete rigging of the carronades. 

cr40.jpg

cr39.jpg

cr38.jpg

cr37.jpg

cr36.jpg

Edited by jwvolz

Joe Volz

Current build:

Looking great Joe, not that diss-similar to my build,  is that yellow ocre you have along the gun deck outer?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks guys.

OC: The color is Poly Scale TTX Yellow from their railroad line with a little bit of white added. The Poly Scale paints have been gone for a few years, but I still have a bit of a stash. They were among the nicest acrylic model paints ever, particularly for hand brushing. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

39 minutes ago, jwvolz said:

Thanks guys.

OC: The color is Poly Scale TTX Yellow from their railroad line with a little bit of white added. The Poly Scale paints have been gone for a few years, but I still have a bit of a stash. They were among the nicest acrylic model paints ever, particularly for hand brushing. 

I wondered because I plan to get some Admiralty paints and do my outside upper bulwarks yellow ocre but with a hint of flat white, just to take the richness of the yellow down a bit.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Beautiful, crisp work Joe, very nice!

Can I ask what wood/finish you used for the hatch coamings?   They look really rich in color.

Mike

Thanks guys.

Mike: The coamings are walnut with Minwax natural stain. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

On October 17, 2016 at 4:51 PM, jwvolz said:

Thanks guys.

Not a big update, but I've weathered the copper plating. I used the "bodily fluid" :rolleyes:  method mentioned elsewhere on the site, and it worked out quite well. It took a few applications to even out due to some initial beading up that occurred. 

I have used the salt/water/vinegar method in the past on Model Expo tape, and tried it initially this time, but it didn't work properly. I think there is some type of coating on the copper, which is difficult to remove. 

I sealed the copper with Testor's Dullcote lacquer, applied with my airbrush. 

I am a bit further ahead than this, but need to catch up on photos. 

post-11003-0-87023700-1476740923_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-37347000-1476740924_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-72004600-1476740924_thumb.jpg

When you mean bodily fluids I assume you mean #1 correct,. I've use the salt vinager solution to no availe , 

3 hours ago, greatgalleons said:

When you mean bodily fluids I assume you mean #1 correct,. I've use the salt vinager solution to no availe , 

Yes, #1... :-)

Joe Volz

Current build:

• 1 month later...

Made a little detour and built the ship's boat. This is a (separate) Caldercraft kit that I picked up from Cornwall Model Boats. Nice little kit.

I modified it by making a cap rail out of some spare maple, adding thole pins when complete. I made the thwarts and stern sheets from boxwood, to replace the kit supplied walnut. The Photo-etched oars and boat hook are included and just require painting. I also added a freshwater cask, and scratch built the rudder/tiller. I also made what is likely the smallest piece I've ever done: a bailing scoop carved from boxwood, that is ridiculously tiny. You can just see it sitting on the bottom.

cr41.jpg

cr42.jpg

cr43.jpg

cr44.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Really nice Joe.  Very crisp!

Mike

Joe:

This is a really nice build. The details are very crisp and well executed. Great coppering and paint work. 

Russ

• 1 month later...

Let me preface this update with a statement: I have been the worst at updating and taking photos as I go along on this build...

So I've gotten a lot done, but have not been documenting well. The deck furniture was all completed along the way and has now been installed. The carronades are now rigged to completion as well. I have even gotten the lower masts and bowsprit built and installed. Again, I've been terrible with the updates...

I really like how the binnacle came out. I found a compass rose online, shrunk it down and printed it out. The rest of it is built from boxwood sheet and strip. I also built the companionway from boxwood. 

As I had mentioned earlier, the deck layout is from the Gannet plans, and thus it varies from what the kit shows. 

cr125.jpg

cr126.jpg

cr128.jpg

cr130.jpg

cr131.jpg

cr132.jpg

cr133.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Joe - that is looking seriously good, love the detail work on the binnacle, and the companion cover looks great.  I didn't get a chance to comment on it earlier but I think the approach you took to the head works is was really wonderfully executed and adds so much character to the model.  Really clean and precise work!  I'm hoping to also use Chuck's ships wheel for 'Jason', but I don't think he makes a large enough version currently.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Bob, Jason and the "likes".

Jason: Shouldn't that wheel be OK with your build being 1/64th? Maybe your plans show otherwise. It's a great little addition.

Joe Volz

Current build: