Armenia by _SalD_ - Hudson River Sidewheeler, 1847 - scale 1:64 (3/16”)

Hello all.

This is my third build log here on MSW and will be my first attempt at scratch building a ship.  The ship that I will be trying to build is a Hudson River sidewheeler named the Armenia.  I acquired plans for this vessel through my local model club (Connecticut Marine Model Society) and there are two main reasons I decided to build her. First I found the ‘walking beam engine’ that drives her paddlewheels to be a fascinating piece of machinery; the second and maybe the more important is that the admiral likes her too.  The original plans, by F. Van Loon Ryder dated 1954, are drawn at 1/8” (1:96) scale.  There are four drawings detailing the ships profile, body lines, the engine, and different deck layouts and one sheet of technical specifications.

post-11922-0-63668800-1473845467_thumb.jpg

The Armenia (1847-1886) was built by Thomas Collyer, New York. She had a wood hull; length 185 feet on deck, 187 feet overall; 28 feet molded beam, 50 feet extreme beam; depth 8 feet 6 inches; 391 tons. She was powered by a Henry Dunham vertical (walking) beam engine and had an unusually long stroke of 14 feet. The paddlewheels are 29 feet 4 inches in diameter an 8 feet 3 inch wide, turning at 23 rpm. In 1852 the Armenia was lengthened to 212 feet, increasing tonnage to 421; cylinder diameter increased to 42 inches; a second boiler added with second stack aft of the original stack and the typical guard posts and hog framing added.  I will be modeling her original configuration.

post-11922-0-40418800-1473845400_thumb.jpg

Since this is my first scratch build I’ve been a bit hesitant in starting her mainly because I wasn’t too sure of what material to use and how much of it I needed.  After hemming and yawing for a few months I decided to do what I’ve done for the past 40 years and that’s to make my own drawings of the ship so I’d have a better understanding of just how she was built.  I’ve only done building (structural) drawings but I think with the set of original drawings and a little help from the CMMC members and the people on this site I should be alright.

For my set of drawings I decided to redraw them at 3/16” (1:64) scale instead of the original 1/8” scale.  I thought it might be a little easier to build a slightly larger ship since the eyesight just ain’t what it used to be.  At 3/16” scale the model will be approximately 35” long by 9 ½” wide.  I also decided that instead of just making a set of 2-dimensional drawings I would try drawing this ship in 3-dimensional cad.  I’m doing this for two reasons: One, since this is my first scratch build I will get a much better understanding of how the parts go together and secondly, I have used AutoCAD pretty much since its inception but only it’s 2-D capabilities so I thought to myself, self, maybe  it’s time to learn something new.  So I will be making a 3-D model of the ship before I attempt to physically build it.  This should also save me from wasting a lot of material since it’s a lot easier to erase and redraw than it is to remake a number of pieces.

Because I am drawing this ship in cad I thought it would be more appropriate to do so in the ‘CAD and 3D Modelling/Drafting Plans with Software’ forum on this site.  So until I start the physical part of this build I will be continuing at the following link:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/14198-3-d-armenia-by-sald-–-hudson-river-sidewheeler-1847/?p=440043

I apologize for rambling on, like my daughter tells me “TLDR” (Too Long, Didn’t Read), but if anyone would like additional information about this ship please let me know, I’d be more than happy to send it or post it here.

TO BE CONTINUED…..

Edited by _SalD_

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

I get a front row seat as well! Fantastic!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Nice choice Sal, pulling up a bench to follow along,  My area has a rich history in these steamboats.

Another of these Hudson River boats, the Ansonia, was based here in the Esopus Creek in Saugerties.originally owned by William R Renwick's Saugerties Tranportation Company, which he later sold to Robert A Synder who renamed the company the Saugerties and New York Steamboat Company, circa 1877.

Thanks Jack,  the wife and I are going to be up in your neck of the woods today.  Having lunch in Hyde Park at the CIA then was thinking of take a ride up to Kingston to see the maritime museum.  

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Wish I had known - unfortunately going to my Dad's today in western NY for his 101st birthday or I would meet you there - CIA is great place to dine. While you are in Hyde Park stop at the FDR mansion and visit his model boat collection in his library.

Edited by Jack12477

• 6 years later...