Cutty Sark 1869 by rcmdrvr - Artesania Latina

• 2 weeks later...

After completing the coppering of the hull I decided that I did not like the painted portion of the hull.  I decided to repaint.  In the course of repainting I also painted the white striping.

post-13869-0-93921900-1483748689_thumb.jpg

Completed Builds:  USS Cairo by BlueJacket;  Nave Egizia by Amati;  Harriet Lane by Model Shipways

Well, this weekend I began work on all of the deck fixtures.  The brass railing in this kit was really nice to work with.  Only took a few minutes to get everything in place.  The capstan, not so much.  Took a few hours worth of work.  The outhouses were also a bit of a "fiddly" challenge but I think they turned out OK.

post-13869-0-61796500-1484008557_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-17490000-1484008572_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-00720000-1484008588_thumb.jpg

Completed Builds:  USS Cairo by BlueJacket;  Nave Egizia by Amati;  Harriet Lane by Model Shipways

Nice job on the deck furniture! Those out houses came out great. Very impressive indeed. I do feel bad for the sailors though having to climb up over the edge of the forecastle deck since the ladders tuck so far underneath it. Is that simply due to the limited room behind the out houses or was there another reason I don't know of? I have seen a lot of strange designs when it comes to the placement of ladders, and other deck furniture so I am mostly curious.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

EJ_L.  I had the same questions but that is where the instructions show then.  I tried to find a better place but they would only end up obstructing other objects.  I decided to go with the kit's instructions.....perhaps not the best decision.

I keep looking at it and I still don't know how else they would fit in there. I think it is better to have them than not as at least there is a way to get up to the forecastle. Not the fist head scratcher I have come across in building model ships. ;)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Working on Billings 1:75. Bought in London in early 70's. Finished hull and it sat on the china cabinet covered in plastic.

Now retired so to completion I march.

Using Longridge's vol. 2 on spars and rigging. Also the museum plans should be noted as when built. They don't enlarge very well as the lettering bleeds together. Magnifying glass and guessing based on sailing usually allow a reading.

My latest issue is with the yard lifts. 'Working on main lower. Museum plans indicate blocks mounted on rear of mast cap. If I do this, I get interference with the ratlines.

Can anybody help?

Jim Regan

• 2 weeks later...

Don't stop!! She is looking way to good to stop updating! I'm waiting to see the rest as you are building a beautiful ship.  :D 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I'll second that plea!  Please don't stop!  I think people just get wrapped up in the moment and forget they're on someone else's log.  I've been guilty of that myself (although not here (I hope :rolleyes:)).  I am just starting my CS and looking forward to watching your progress.  Cutty Sark will challenge my rigging skills and I need all the help I can get.

- Tim

Current Builds:  Cutty Sark

Finished Builds:  Yacht America

I got a little upset about this log being hijacked.  Perhaps I over-reacted.  I will continue posting in hopes of some constructive comments.  I have continued with deck equipment and structures.  I round into difficulty that many of the dark (walnut) trim of the buildings crumbled when I tried to remove from die cut sheets.  Had to manually reconstruct many of them.  I enjoy working on deck stuff and there are plenty of it to be constructed in this model.

Here is are some photo graphs that show the model stern to bow.  Tried to get in close with the camera so you can see some of the detail:

post-13869-0-35793900-1485821152_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-76766000-1485821162_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-47777100-1485821175_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-34728300-1485821186_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-07585400-1485821200_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-46382100-1485821208_thumb.jpg

She looks good, the detailing you have done is superb. One question is why you left the eyebolts natural(brass) rather than painting or blackening? Is this your preference or is this how the Cutty was? Either way I like it, I have the Billings kit on the shelf so I"m always watching ;)  :) . You are doing great, all those deadeyes scare the h.ll out of me though!!!!!

It would probably more realistic to blacken the brass.  I tried painting on a previous model and was disappointed with the result; plus it chipped and scratched when I was rigging.

I have wanted to try a blackening agent; but working with toxic chemicals is a little scarey.  I hear they liquid can cause burns and the fumes are caustic.  Does anyone have suggestions on a non-toxic blackening agent?

I hear you on the chipping, I myself have never used any blackening agents so can't really comment. I was just curious, haven't heard any reports about the toxicity of these agents, but certainly what goes down the drain should be a concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have been working on the ships launches for almost two weeks.  The kit provided three metal launches.  I started by painting them to hide the shiny metal and that was a complete disaster.  I could not get the paint to stick and it would peal when I tried to glue the wooden parts to the interior.  I decided to proceed without the paint hoping that the wood would hide most of the metal.  The exterior hulls were planked and painted and then the interior built.

I am not entirely happy with the result; as they only look OK.

I am now starting the masts and rigging.  Just thumbing through the instructions is intimidating.  Well, here goes nothing!!

I'm rather surprised they provided metal launches instead of wood or plastic. Other than the shiny metal interiors they came out good. If you want to attempt a rebuild, try to scuff them down with a Brillo pad or 100 grit sand paper, wipe with a tack cloth and then use a spray paint primer. With most cast metal components I have painted that is typically the method I use and the paint has not been a problem.

If you do not want to rebuild them but still don't like the look, you could create tarps for them to cover the interiors up. I have done that on a couple of projects to hide mistakes. Then there is my personal favorite of just saying, well, that is annoying but live and learn and make the next one better! If I removed all the mistakes from my build there would be nothing left to hold the ship together! :P  :D 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I just found this post and I got to say that I'm re-inspired, your work is perfect for me ..........

I'll explain, 10 years (or so ) ago I bought this very same model , as I like the history of the CS. The model has sat on the shelf until we bought a house with a room which become dedicated to finishing the model.

The original plans leave a lot to be desired, so now I can see some of the issues I had and how you have resolved them, thanks for posting your work.

Cheers

Bazz

• The title was changed to Cutty Sark 1869 by rcmdrvr - Artesania Latina