San Salvador by SomethingIsFishy - Maritime Museum of San Diego - card

I was looking for something to work on while waiting to start my next build/birthday present, so I downloaded the kit for this ship from the museum's website. I then picked up a pack of cardstock and proceeded to dig out my printer, only to find that it wouldn't work with my desktop. Was able to get it to connect to my laptop, but the ink cartridges were completely dried up. Decided to just upgrade to a better printer, so I could finally print the kit!!

I have the stand done so far... I tried to start the hull, but soon found that my glueing was not nearly precise enough. Oh well, good practice... The nice part about card is I can just hit "print", and start over again.

I don't think I will have this ship done by my birthday, so at that point I will bounce back and forth between the two kits as the mood strikes me...

I will post pics as soon as I have something worth posting pics of... I'm done for tonight...

Thanks for looking!!

Edit: is it museam or museum?? Museum looks right to me, but neither one set off spell check...

Edited by SomethingIsFishy

It is the "SAN SALVADOR" from the San Diego Maritime Museum.  Below i a picture after construction but before commissioning.

post-1153-0-59565500-1474174557_thumb.jpg

Here is a link to the site.

https://sdmaritime.org/visit/the-ships/san-salvador/

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

There are two versions of this kit, I'm building the "medium difficulty" version. This is my second attempt on the hull, trying to be more precise. An important tip: score all of the fold lines before glueing the pieces into shape...

image_zpsd9nbmvw7.JPEG

Photobucket :(

Did not realize that the museum had a downloadable kit of the San Salvador.  Good to see this!   I got to see her sailing in the Parade of Sail over the Labor Day weekend, pretty cool to see her under sail finally.

It sure isn't easy getting the hull together right on the "easier" version of this model... my second attempt looks just as bad as my first... may try the "advanced" version instead, that one has an actual frame... I think that would make things much easier...

Well, it's official... I printed the advanced version tonight. I'm just not happy with the way the easier kit came together. The advanced kit uses laminated cardstock to build a frame just like a plank-on-frame wooden build. My hope is that doing it that way would make it much easier to get a properly shaped hull... Gotta pick up the right glue for laminating the cardstock, then I can start building...

I picked up some spray adhesive for laminating the framework tonight! Made sure to buy something that specifically said "does not cause warping" on the bottle. Glued the first pieces together, and weighted them down on a piece of glass to make sure they're straight. So far so good...

Great to see another card build log to follow.

Looking good so far.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Upper decks added and upper hull "planking" laminated. The upper hull planking can be seen from the inside in several places, so there are two pieces for each side that are glued back to back.

There is one issue that I found. The foremost bulkhead for the upper rear deck is plain white for some unknown reason. They do, however, include a printed part for the inside. I chose to use this inside piece on the outside instead...

I don't know about you, but I can't tell it's white on the inside...

image_zpsycpfgkjy.jpeg

image_zps7t5kwray.jpeg

Photobucket :(

No card model kit is 100% foible-free, and finding and fixing the design flaws is part of the 'fun' of card modeling.

How very true.  I am about to start doing twenty 3" guns which consist of thirteen paper parts (as well several wire pieces) and have found 3 different parts all labelled as  '10e'

One part of the 3 is obvious but the remaining 2 are not so clear as the assembly diagram isn't very clear.  I can be doing without that kind of fun! LOL

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi SiF,

Looking good so far.

Have you thought about edge colouring your cuts to remove the whiteness of the edges.  I have been getting good results using Faber Castel PITT artist pens as they don't bleed into the paper.

You could also use artists water colours, water colour pencils or even model paints (enamel or acrylic) to name a few options. (The model paints may interfere with edge to edge gluing though if you are using PVA) 

Cheers

Slog

I have used artist color pencils with good results and have used grumbacher paints in a tube. Experiment on some scrap until you get used to the amount you need.  

David B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I haven't given up on this yet, just took an extended break... I've made some progress today after roughly 1 year of nothing.

I now wish I hadn't used photobucket for my pictures, should've figured something like this would happen... grrrrrrrr!! I will get some current pics up soon, and I'll see if I still have some of the older pics to re-post...

Thanks for the likes! I'm really enjoying working with cardstock...

As for this ship, I tried to make the masts today, not sure how that's gonna work out. They want you to roll them up out of paper, but that is a very difficult proposition... I may just make wood masts instead... (the kit mentioned that as an option). Rigging will be interesting, my intent is to do a lot more than the kit suggests, which is going to require much research on my part... should be fun...