Pride of Baltimore II by Karleop - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Steve and Janet:

Thanks for your nice comments they are very encouraging  :)  :)

Saludos, Karl

Marvelous job, Karl. Particularly impressive are the multiple light prisms for illumination of the deck below. (Were those kit pieces or did you fashion them? In either event, might you have a macro photo of one?) Well done build, mate.

Hola Professor:

The prisms are included in the kit, but I have also seen them at stores like Michael´s and are sold as Fake diamonds for jewelry. Here the photos you ask for:

post-797-0-17178000-1486313673_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-40643800-1486313678_thumb.jpg

Saludos, Karl

And... now you know why I immediately throw all the kit blocks in the garbage and use whatever size looks correct from Syren.   :)

The deck is looking great with all the furniture on it Karl.

Hola Gunther:

Good for you that you can get the blocks from Syren, I tried to make them smaller but with no success, so my only solution was to add only one instead of the two according to the instructions. :(  :angry:

Saludos, Karl

Hola Gunther:

Good for you that you can get the blocks from Syren, I tried to make them smaller but with no success, so my only solution was to add only one instead of the two according to the instructions. :(  :angry:

Saludos, Karl

Can you not get them in Mexico?  

No, Gunther, unfortunately not.   :( By the way when you mention Syren, is the Kit or a store?

Saludos, Karl

Karl, the Syren being refereed to is probably Syren Model Ship Company, a modern day chandler for us model shipwrights. Here's a link:

http://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/

Muchas gracias Professor:

I didn´t know about this place, apparently they have very nice and quality things.  The problem is that it is somewhat complicated and expensive to buy from Mexico.

Saludos, Karl 

I didn´t know about this place, apparently they have very nice and quality things.  The problem is that it is somewhat complicated and expensive to buy from Mexico.

Saludos, Karl 

Hey Karl. Great job here my friend.

I buy from USA and overseas stores all the time. Try to find in your city a company that manages your import things. There is one here in Monterrey I have been using for years without problems. I would think Guaymas has to have something similar. 

Hope you find one. It is a life saver when buying stuff from USA or other markets.

Hope this helps.

Un abrazo!!!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Saludos, Karl 

If you can find a place like Ulises suggested, I highly recommend the blocks and line (and well, everything else he makes really) from Syren.

What is the issue with buying from Mexico, do they really nail you on the importation of things?  What if the package was just mailed from somewhere else in Mexico by someone who was visiting, or is the postal service unreliable?  I guess I don't understand what makes it difficult and expensive there.  I visit Mexico fairly regularly and am curious as to what the issue is.

Thanks,

If you can find a place like Ulises suggested, I highly recommend the blocks and line (and well, everything else he makes really) from Syren.

What is the issue with buying from Mexico, do they really nail you on the importation of things?  What if the package was just mailed from somewhere else in Mexico by someone who was visiting, or is the postal service unreliable?  I guess I don't understand what makes it difficult and expensive there.  I visit Mexico fairly regularly and am curious as to what the issue is.

Thanks,

Hello Gunther. There are several issues, among them: cost. In some instances shipping costs skyrocket when shipping to Mexico.

Other is the Postal Service in Mexico is totally unreliable. It takes forever for things to be delivered, IF actually ever they are. Stuff goes missing too often. Customs regulation and taxes are impossible to deal with. Services like UPS or DHL are the best options, but very expensive.

Now I have to say that this may have changed. I wouldn't know since it has been years that I have a mail address in Texas, and they bring my things across the border for a very reasonable fee.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Hola Gunther:

As Ulises said the main issue is the cost.  You can see at the Syren Homepage that while for the US the shipment cost is 5.00 for mexico would come in 14.50 but also the shipping time can be much slower.  The option is UPS or DHL but the cost is much more high.

Saludos, Karl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!!

Although I have to finish small details of the deck, I start with the masts. As it was necessary to give them square and / or octagonal shape, opt to make a device that facilitates me to achieve greater accuracy. To reduce the thickness of the wood I use a Dremel placed on a base that has worked for me very well.

Here you can see the Dremel adjusted to serve various purposes

post-797-0-36336300-1487186754.jpgpost-797-0-31856900-1487186755.jpgpost-797-0-01300100-1487186756.jpg

Here to show the jig and Dremel to get the square or octagon shape

post-797-0-34192000-1487186893_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-40403700-1487186915_thumb.jpg

And my progress with the masts and bowsprit

post-797-0-90870200-1487186984_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-00927600-1487186988_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-47645300-1487186990_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-99875500-1487186992_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-41644000-1487186997_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-19174200-1487187000_thumb.jpg

By the way, can someone help me  what can be the meaning of p/s? It is shown in the blueprints several times:

post-797-0-47954800-1487187719_thumb.jpg

Saludos, Karl

Beautiful work you have going there, Karl. Thanks for taking the time to share it with your fellow model shipwrights.

"P/S" means Port (left side) and Starboard (right side). It indicates that whatever modification or accessory addition is being shown should be performed on both sides of the specified part. For example, in the picture you posted, the P/S notation shows that a cleat needs to be installed on both the left and right boom jaws.

Edited by Professor

Hola Professor:

Thanks for the explanation, I was not sure because if they included both pieces on the drawing, what is the object to mention it?? 

Saludos, Karl

Hola Professor:

Thanks for the explanation, I was not sure because if they included both pieces on the drawing, what is the object to mention it?? 

Saludos, Karl

No room for the note on the other side is all probably.  You'll find lots of things with that marking "P/S" on most plans that I've seen, and some show the needed item other side, and some don't.  

Karl,

Just catching up - very nice detail work !!

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hola Michael:

Just returning from a little trip to La Paz (mexico) and seeing your comments; Thanks for them!!

Saludos Karl

Hola:

I have been a little slow but anyway the work that must be done with the bowsprit is more that it seems at first glance, specially because there are some metal pieces that must to be weld and bend in a precise way. Also there are pieces not included in the Kit and have to be done (metal  and wood). For example:   I made the Jibboom spreader  thinning toothpicks and making very small holes instead of the notches that are mention in the instructions (I insert little pieces of thread to show them). Here some pictures of my advance.

DSCN2830.JPG

DSCN2837.JPG

DSCN2823.JPG

DSCN2834.JPG

DSCN2835.JPG

Karl... this bowsprit looks very well done. The detail is amazing.

I've never attempted any welding!!!

Good job!!!

Ulises

Gracias Ulises:

Welding very small pieces is somewhat complicated, I had to do it three times before having an acceptable result.

Saludos, Karl

• 2 weeks later...

Hola:

Following with booms, yards and Gaffs. In some of these cases the instructions are not so clear and some of the materials needed are not provided (for example the "iron rings") and must to find out how to do them.

Now I must decide if include sails or not and in this case if if they will be furled or not :huh:

Saludos, Karl

DSCN2842.JPG

DSCN2843.JPG

DSCN2844.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hola :

After almost 3 weeks I advanced a little:

1:  fixing the masts and topmasts in their places taking care on the aligment

2: Installing the fore lower yard

3: Placing the booms on the masts

4: Begin the shrouds rigging  and,

5: Initiate the bowsprit rigging including the protection net

Saludos, Karl

DSCN2860.JPG

DSCN2861.JPG

DSCN2866.JPG

DSCN2862.JPG

DSCN2867.JPG

DSCN2863.JPG

DSCN2864.JPG

DSCN2865.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hola:

After almost 400 knots I finally  finished the shrouds:

Saludos Karl

DSCN2879.JPG

DSCN2881.JPG

DSCN2882.JPG

DSCN2886.JPG

Looking good Karl!!!

Only 400 knots? Child's play :P

What will be next?

Un abrazo

Ulises

You are right Ulises, comparing with my last ship Vasa (around 900 knots!!)  this was nothing. :rolleyes:

Now I will do the stays.

Saludos, Karl

• 1 month later...

Hola:

After a 3 week trip and a lazy work I finished the stays and other little things of my model. Here some pictures:

Saludos, Karl

DSCN2955.JPG

DSCN2956.JPG

DSCN2957.JPG

DSCN2958.JPG

DSCN2960.JPG

DSCN2961.JPG