Pride of Baltimore II by Karleop - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Karl,

There is "something" absolutely beautiful about this build. Your level of scaling of so many of the perfect details make for

a superb example. Could be my favorite of yours so far.

Your base is an excellent compliment as well.

PS: though as you know I continue visiting your Vasa log for help (:-)

Cheers,

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Wonderful work Karl, she is a real beauty! Congratulations

Hola Ulises:

Gracias for your nice comments.

By the way, seeing your pic´s from your new house and comparing them with your last place,  I am sure you can make now a 1:1 replica!! JaJaJa

Muchos saludos, Karl

Hola Steve:

Thank´s for your words, and talking about my next project, sincerely I don´t know what to do: I have more ships (6) than space at my home and my wife insists than I must do something about it, probably trying to sell one or two, or change to my other hobby: oil painting.

Saludos Karl

Hola Michael:

Gracias!!  Really this model was quite different of the others I built in several aspects: 

- the model brand (Model Shipways) with its pros and cons
- the type of ship, being this much more modern than the ones I had previously done (This ship was a replica based on an early 19 century type clipper built by Baltimore city officials in 1974. She was lost in an intense blast of wind in 1986. The city then commissioned a larger sister-ship, and the Pride of Baltimore II was launched on 1989) 
- due to the above, the type of superstructure, hatches, skylights and rigging differs of older ships
- the form of presentation: without sails and with the foremast yards slightly rotated
- putting it in a dry dock gives it a special touch

Saludos, Karl

P.S. I am very flattered to know that my Vasa log continue to be of your help to clarify the complicated arrangement of sails and rigging of this boat. It must be said that you are doing a splendid job

Hola Don:

It's nice to have people like you, always making good comments about my work. I really appreciate them.

Saludos, Karl 

Hi everybody:

I really appreciate all your likes and comments.

It is very nice to be and participate in this  "Nautical Research Guild's Model Ship World" Forum, a great place to learn and enjoy about model making and naval history.

Thank´s to all people that make it happen.

Saludos, Karl

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/21/2016 at 2:23 PM, Karleop said:

Hola:

Because Guaymas is a little city, it is quite impossible to obtain the appropriate dry transfer letters to make the ship´s names, so, following the same procedure I used my computer to do them:

post-797-0-67328500-1477073547_thumb.jpg

Saludos

I have this kit still in the box and am eager to begin it as soon as I finish my Constitution cross section.

I love the way you did the transom artwork. Here in Maryland we're VERY proud of our state flag which, in my humble opinion,is the most beautiful state flag. Looks like something a knight of yore might have had on it's shield. We use it everywhere: coffee mugs,key chains, neck lanyards,car stickers etc. I'd been wondering how to get it to look right when I build my Pride and yours is a great solution. In addition to an American flag at the masthead, I'd like to get of make an appropriately sized Maryland flag and fly it somewhere else on the ship.

Hola Brewerpaul: Thanks for your kind words, and the solution of making the flags with computer is really easy and so the way to fix them on wood.

Saludos, Karl

• 1 year later...

Hola Karl

I'm stumped as to the throat and peak halyard rigging...all my ships have been square riggers.  can you send me a close-up pic of the fore and mainmast throat/peak halyard rigs? I have a thread going: Pride of Baltimore with sails-townpiper.

Muy obligado

Muchas Gracias

Pablo aka townpiper

Has anyone referred you to Petersson's Rigging Period Fore and Aft Craft?

One has to keep in mind that the author simply documented what he observed on a contemporary model.

While the information appears to be accurate in many respects, some problems have been pointed out, here and there.

Here are his diagrams of the the throat and peak halyard rigging for " .. a typical American schooner."

image.png.50568dc29924884127c7d8f0b1beb9b3.png

image.png.e6bca39127169e9e23a814d3557788ba.png

Along with all the other information you have been provided, this should be of some help..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

@Karleop Fantastic, I will be refering back to your log when I start to build mine.

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24