The Journal is now Digital Read more... ×
CharlieZardoz

19th Century Revenue Cutter by CharlieZardoz - Scale 1/64 - 31 ton as USRC Active based off Doughty plans and Bluejacket kit

Hi all! Sorry its been so long been toiling away on planking and just finished the left side. Since the shape is so wedge shaped on this boat alot of planks needed to be spiled. That said it taught me alot and I think I did a reasonably good job for a first timer. ;) Now starting the treenails using an awl, colored putty to fill the holes then a color pencil to add some detailing. Got more to go but thought I'd share :)

20180807_024816.jpg

20180806_183620.jpg

20180723_160454.jpg

20180807_221413.jpg

20180807_141031.jpg

Posted (edited)

Hi all! I totally forgot I put this one together and thought I'd share. It's a Talos style size comparison chart of various small ships schooners etc. ;) I was going to wait and add the HMS Swift as well but figured ah let me put it up now and see what you all think (Swift would be just a bit larger than Berbice). Look at how small the 31 Doughty cutter actually is!

hull shapes - Copy.jpg

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Good morning! Decided to do a mini-update today I added all the treenails to the finished side of the hull. Basically I the process was poking them out with an awl then filling the hole with colored putty (which I darkened with paint) then used the colored pencil to define the area a bit more and here is how it looks! :) I know some of my steelers are a bit off location but that will be colored with copper anyways. I realize now that the nails are effectively showing where the ships frames are (an obvious concept but I now I see the logic behind it). Next step now will be doing the other side hopefully won't take me nearly as long ;)

20180827_212345_resized.jpg

20180828_000442_resized.jpg

20180828_004428_resized.jpg

20180828_005331_resized.jpg

20180828_005432_resized.jpg

Posted (edited)

Happy autumn to you All! 😄 Been quite busy with the model so figured I'd offer a new update. First, the hull planking is all finished and treenailed.  The first side took me months while the second side took me only a few weeks! While both sides look relatively identical I did make sure they had some suttle differences and secretly I do prefer one to the other. ;)

My plan is to finish all of the underside stuff so that I no longer need to flip the boat and potentially damage any deck fittings. So with that as my approach, next up is the wale which is getting metal nails giving that metallic look. And last is building the transom and counter. I must have tried this 20+ times before I got one I liked. For now it's unfinished and will be attached later with extra detailing but overall I'm quite happy with it. I was at a loss trying to understand the plans and what the stern actually looked like. Any models out there of the Doughty cutters are all simply horribly wrong. They all show a flat stern piece tacked on with no counter at all which would in real life fall off once it hit a harsh wave... :unsure: Look at the images of the 3 Doughty cutter stern transoms all lined up you can see how they are distinct.

Since I'm trying to keep to the historical plans as best I can this was my best interpretation and looks pretty much like a Baltimore clipper stern. The moulding around the stern attach to the wale and I will add some connecting decoration later. It looks simple but really there were so many subtle challenges like cutting the counter to match the curve of the stern (all the parts are curved and bent in certain ways). The stern piece is raised almost above the deck!  I spent probably a good week just plotting it out in my mind lol. 

For my inspiration I used a few models I found online. One is of the Achilles and the other of a scratch model of the 51 ton cutter Alabama. You can see how they managed to build their stern with the proper incline and transom/counter so it helped me alot. Next up the decking finally! 😎

20180927_010747.jpg

20181004_175402.jpg

20181004_114824.jpg

20181004_010442.jpg

achillies-full-hull-webachilles012.jpg

post-23651-0-48536200-1454952408[1].jpg

Alabama_07[1].jpg

Alabama_26[1].jpg

Alabama_09[1].jpg

transoms.jpg

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Thanks so much Mike! I am very excited for the next bunch of steps. As you can see I've already added some decking material and glued the hatches down once and for all. I added some extra parts on deck just to get a look at it all together. So now it's a question of what comes next... 

The plan is to finish planking but that means adding those waterways and edge planks and also means adding a toe rail. But  alsoI plan on painting the too and bottom of the wale black. So it'll have a nice strip across. Then I also need to copper. As you can see the little sailor guys are exhausted just thinking about it all. ;)

20181006_042419.jpg

20181006_042404.jpg

20181006_042351.jpg

20181006_040308.jpg

Thank you John! So yeah I am never one to leave well enough alone when something doesn't feel right. So atm Ive started working on some minor corrections to parts I though hmm could I do better? First and foremost are the gratings, the holes were simply too big. I realized the grating set is likely for a 1/48 model so I scaled it down and scratch made my own using the laser .75% to 1/64 scale. The new grating goes much better with the plans Ive seen and aside from some minor corrections of the hatch coaming, it fit in perfect. Now just have to make the smaller hatch but what do you think?

20181010_234745_resized.jpg

20181012_104718.jpg

20181012_090025.jpg

Hi Charlie - 

Looking better and better.  I like the new gratings and coamings.  You might just round the corners a bit.  Sharp corners and edges on a ship tossing in rough seas would be an invitation to serious injuries.

Excellent progress overall.

Dan