Windlass purchase link

Hello everyone,

I am building the Benjamin W. Latham fishing schooner, scale1:48 :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8617-benjamin-w-latham-by-frenchguy-model-shipways-148-scale/?hl=frenchguy 

I am working on the whole windlass, and I am looking for tips or examples on how to model a realistic purchase link and shackle between the rocker and the purchase arm (both Britannia fittings supplied with the kit).

I don't want to put a copy here for copyright reason, but you can see what I am talking about on page 672 of Chapelle book on American Fishing Schooners.

Thanks!

Stephan

Current Build: Hesper (kind of on hold), Wide A Wake

Completed Builds: Benjamin W. Latham, Le Renard, Smuggler, Bluenose, Pride of Baltimore, Alexandra, Jolie Brise, Marie Jeanne -1 and Marie Jeanne -2

Shephan, It's hard to determine just how the old boat builders made things.  But this is how I tried to follow the information in Chapelle's book for my model of the Lettie G Howard.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/4692-lettie-g-howard-schooner-by-capnbob-148-pob-complete/?p=196977

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 2 weeks later...

I just bent and soldered the rods and links from brass wire on this 1/60 scale model:
steinhaus-23-72.jpg

The purchase arms were made from three layers of brass soldered together, as they have to sort of clamp around the ratched wheel. It is a bit fake, however, as the ratched wheel does not have grooves on the side into which the brackets of the purchase arms would link. There are also no ratches ;)

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Wefalck

That is stunning.  I thought I was looking at the real thing until I read the text.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)