IJN Yamato by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Loving the detail on that hull so mutch scribed armour plate detail, wish my Warspite was as accurate and detailed.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Although the quality of the Pontos set is very high, I have to say that Fly Hawk has quite a few bits and pieces more. When I look at the funnel's platform, Pontos has just the search lights, whilst Fly Hawk has an additional floor plate, and shutters for the range finders. I do have to admit that the quality is not as good as Pontos' on e.g. the AA guns. The flat PE is slightly thinner if I'm correct. Furthermore, the Pontos parts do not always fit the kit's parts which is really annoying!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I got the Pontos for the Musashi (also stated on the box), which is still old tool, so that's odd.

If you compare the funnel from the old tool to the one from the new, is the new shorter and wider?

Carl

Quite a bit of detail there Greg; she should look really nice painted up.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

A few hours of cutting and bending, the support struts for the rear deck.

For some reason Pontos does not replace the ladders, maybe they did but there is no reference.attachicon.gifsupport struts 1.jpg

The struts in the kit come in one piece, but this is really nice and they fit perfectly. I have added the 4 aftermarket support struts to go under the triple 25mms from the hull as Tamiya do provide some but they are not perforated.attachicon.gifsupport struts 2.jpgattachicon.gifsupport struts 3.jpg

From these close ups you can see the hull lines and the deadyeyes that go over the portholes that are nicely detailed.

Greg im loving the detail of the plates along the hull bottom, they are consistant with what I would have thought would have been on her,  from battleship plans I have seen most have this routine patern of interlocking plates - similar to what I did on my Warspite lower hull.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

So, as much as I want to show the ribs, it does not make sense. The armor bands were so thick it would not be visible. This shot is Yamato armour from the US navy.post-253-0-36010400-1486269810.jpg

So, getting the hang of this airbrush thingy, and preshading the panel lines.post-253-0-38677400-1486269809_thumb.jpg

I want to leave the paint to set before masking so I finished the main guns, including the instrument platforms on the barrels and individual stanchions. I was going to use wire but it just bends and crimps hopelessly so I will use ezline.post-253-0-83414200-1486269819_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-28199000-1486269822_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-30952100-1486269825_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

There is really a lot of nice detail in this build Greg; will look good when all together.  The guns look great.  Makes you wonder how some of these things floated with all that metal :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

What's in a few inches of armour ... I see you used white primer (or is it very light grey), any particular reason? I woud have expected a darker shade. It seems you have gotten quite a steady hand, when I look at the lines.

Stanchions and wire. Again a bold decision. When I look how I've been struggling to get the pre-made railing on, I am very  curious on your result, and the difficultie(s) you've encountered. On the other hand, you've already made a few lengths.

Cheers

Carl

I don't like the one piece railings for some reason. Tamiya designed it for after market and the wire does not bend well but it works with ezline with the stanchions. That way you don't have a rail on the deck and it does not pull if you hit it. I will have to test how it takes paint, but I used it in my Emden and Varyag and liked the effect. Have a look, it comes out OK. We forget as photos are very forgiving with a crap camera.

I used the Tamiya rattle can for the bulk of the hull and will use Ak from here on in, it's just for ease, but you do have to sand it back as the rattle can picks ups anything floating in the air and presses it into the ship. It sticks to brass and plastic really well. I have found that gluing brass to brass with a paint barrier does not work well, so I have a lot of work to do with rigging points to do yet for the ships arials.

The airbrush is a dream as the paint goes to about 1mm coverage and coffee does not help at all, given the size of the hull there is no such thing as a 50cm strait line. I'm looking forward to progressing with the build but a week of dayshift, coaching and a trip to Sydney next weekend for a regatta will slow me down

Greg

Greg,

That picture from post 400, did I read that correctly? Is that salvaged armor form the wreck? I am no ballistics expert that looks more like a shell hit rather then torpedo or bomb. Was there a plaque describing where on the ship the plate came from? 

Great work BTW, been quietly following along when I feel then need to bounce my jaw off the desk.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

It is a shell hit, it's obviously the same thickness but not the real thing I suppose.

The particular piece of armor tested was the 26-inch frontal armor for one of the Shinano’s 18-inch turrets located in the Kure naval yards after ww2. The Shinano was never made but it was the same class. The U.S. Navy shot it point blank with a 16-inch shell. The resulting impact penetrated and ripped the armor apart. While this showed that a 16-inch shell could penetrate the Yamato’s armor, it’s unlikely that it would have done so at distance. This piece of armor tested by the navy is now on display at the Washington Navy yard. Reference http://www.byronhartshorn.com/

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

guns and the paint work looks great Greg.   you've made some serious progress since I last looked in.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Ok, now I've painted all the squares,post-253-0-74649900-1486866851_thumb.jpg

i filled in all the spaces with red, then oversprayed the hull with more red. That's the thing with red, it's soo translucent,post-253-0-26749100-1486866858_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-78617300-1486866861_thumb.jpg

Then I highlighted all the panels with a lighter red, toning down the back preshading. It actually looks a lot better in real life as the iphone camera does notcut it.. I intend to do a filter over the top then some very light dry brushing to really highlight the panels.post-253-0-13749600-1486866866_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-22587200-1486866868_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-65193700-1486866871_thumb.jpg

I did not do the ribbed version as I previously explained it does not make sense.

Then I can move upwards to do the upper hull after I leave it for a week to dry to I can mask it safely. 

Then the weathering....

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Looks great from here, Greg.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That looks pretty good Greg; with that additional work it should very realistic.

How did you hold up in the heat?

cheers

Pat

Great work an that painting. I really like how you did the "plating". 

It's giving me headaches in wondering how i'm going to simulate that.

Chris

Current builds :    

On hold :

IJN Yamato by DeAgostini - 1/250

Completed builds :

Bermuda boat Corsair (scratch)

President by Sergal - 1/60

This morning I oversprayed the hull with a 60% diluted Raw Sienna colour to mute the preshading lines and darken the hull, which really makes the whole effect much more subtle. The ship is not in dock for a week to dry whilst I start priming other things such as the guns. 

post-253-0-43512200-1486941191_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-75434600-1486941199_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-13887200-1486941205_thumb.jpg

Greg

That looks really good Greg.

cheers

Pat

This morning I oversprayed the hull with a 60% diluted Raw Sienna colour to mute the preshading lines and darken the hull, which really makes the whole effect much more subtle. The ship is not in dock for a week to dry whilst I start priming other things such as the guns. 

I am probably missing something here - but is the models hull physical raised or sunken panel lines, where you have had to airbrush all those black shading?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Progress, Main guns primed, and a few other bits and pieces.Now to wait 24 hours and I can start preshading.

Thaose turrets look Huge - Imagine the size in real life :o :o :o

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Yes OC the armour belts are raised by about .1mm or scribed. The guns are huge even in this scale.

Just wondered if you might have found it easyer to have done a dark wash in the scribed panel areas after spraying the hull, you could have done this with a cloth and thin paint - just a thought.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I did think about that, and it took several hours with a piece of paper and the airbrush, but it creates a shadow effect which I'm after. I will eventually add grunge to the base of the hull, rust, grime, salt and slime lines as well for weathering so a lot to go yet to dull it down.

I'm loving the H&S airbrush at the moment as it's a bit of a scalpel and with the thinned paint it dries quickly and you don't lose any detail. The handrails on top of the guns did not even have their eyelets clogged which a rattle can will do.

Greg