IJN Yamato by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350

Because the algae needs light to grow, I would have expected the green to be nearer the top of the waterline and not at all on the underside of the hull. Like this shot of the QM2.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2575169/Adrift-sea-Extraordinary-photos-captain-Queen-Mary-II-standing-largest-ocean-liner-world.html#i-b8cc0eab 

You're probably right, but at least I got something right!!!! 

The hull will will sit very low on the base when completed as I have not done much work at all on the bottom of the ship. 

I suppose there here is no limit to how much I can gunk it up, but I think this will have to do.

As she was in port a lot I imagine there was a fair bit of gunk on her, 

IMG_3891.JPG

Greg

5 hours ago, Greg Lester said:

You're probably right, but at least I got something right!!!! 

The hull will will sit very low on the base when completed as I have not done much work at all on the bottom of the ship. 

I suppose there here is no limit to how much I can gunk it up, but I think this will have to do.

As she was in port a lot I imagine there was a fair bit of gunk on her, 

IMG_3891.JPG

How do they guide a ship in so she sits perfectly on keel blocks - Amazing.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Brilliant job on this kit. Your weathering is top rate. I find this very hard to do. Not because I can't but because I like to see a nice clean hull. But you are doing an excellent job and making the ship look so much more like she's been at sea for a while and of course in battle so not able to return to port for a tidy up. I recently completed the older version of this kit with lots of photo etch. This updated kit however is for better and more detailed.

Keep up the good work will be following this build.

Current build

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15683-amerigo-vespucci-by-paul-jarman-mantua-multi-kit-scale-184/

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Greg, your weathering looks great. I am in awe of people who can do that, its not a talent I was ever able to develop.

Now, to show my ignorance, what on earth are those two holes in the dry dock picture?!?!? They look to be 10 feet or more in diameter and would have had to create a quite a bit of drag.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

38 minutes ago, src said:

Greg, your weathering looks great. I am in awe of people who can do that, its not a talent I was ever able to develop.

Now, to show my ignorance, what on earth are those two holes in the dry dock picture?!?!? They look to be 10 feet or more in diameter and would have had to create a quite a bit of drag.

Sam

I'm glad you asked that question about the holes in the hull, Sam. I was ready to show my ignorance and ask the same question. :)

I would assume they are bow thrusters, propellers within the hull to provide lateral steerage.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Um, yes, it was a photo I found of alge on a ships hull. It was supposed to support what decoyman said about growth on a ships hull. 

I dont intend tend to take it that far on mine. 

After a weeks work I have almost completed all the ships guns, and will post on that later. 12 x 12.7cm guns, 24 triple turrets, and the list goes on. 

Greg

OK, moving on, the AA guns.

Firstly the high angle turrets, you can see the base Tamiya offering (photo 3), Pontos provides the barrels and sandbags plus railings which I don't like. The ventilator covers and stanchions are replaced, but I cannot replicate the handholds, so be it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Greg

Next are the open 12.7cm guns. Imagine my surprise which I opened up the packet and found German guns! I e-mailed Pontos (no reply) then the hobby shop (BNA Model world) which replaced them for me. These are Veteran Models resin which are very nice. You can see the Tamiya offering in the foreground of the finished product.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Greg

Painfully, the are 26 small triple machine gun turrets with very little detail. I tried the Pontos Rails and did not like them so replaced them with individual stanchions. The handrails are a nightmare to stick down. The barrels have not yet been added, which I plan to blacken then add after painting.  Again I have added ventilator covers.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Greg

Those guns look SO good, but man, I know that is some tough duty building all those. Takes some real determination to finish them all in a week.

The stock Tamiya guns are obviously not as good as the Pontos ones, but they are presentable to be sure.

I agree those small handrails must be a nightmare to do. Some compound vertical curves it appears. Tough duty.

You must be close to finishing all those guns soon greg, seems never ending.  A great job and a lesson in perseverance. 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Nearly half way ;) Nice work on the tripplets. quite a forest ready for painting. When you look at the difference between Yamato and Musahsi on AA guns ... they've put so much more on her during that last year. Alone the 24 tripple AA gun turrets, which I do not have ...

Well done. Look forard to your paiint results

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

quite an assembly line you have going there..........they look really good ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Mr Rabbit, I'm in the process now of threading 96 needles for the smaller turrets railings. 

I have used blackening solution to do most of the small 25mm's barrels, and I am considering my third re do of the single 25mm's. The triples will have to do. 

Im looking forward to not doing guns. 

I have ordered replacement davits for the side of the ship as the plastic ones look, well, plastic. 

The Pontos kit comes with a stained teak deck, and apparently it was black at the end which means I've had to order a black deck (which of course Pontos make separately). 

I never thought this this would be a 12 month build, but there is still so much to do!

Greg

Very nice work on those guns Greg.  this will be one very nicely detailed model when you get all these guns onto her :) 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I see you've converted to initials ...

You've outdone yourself again. You keep getting better every time I see an update. Great painting.

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...