IJN Yamato by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC

I am continually amazed at how much fine detail is presented by these newer PE sets. Of course, if the modeler doesn't have some skill and finesse at assembling the PE (unlike you, Greg), all that detail is wasted. Excellent work, my friend!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

The detail is incredible on the PE stuff.  I do wonder when these bits and pieces will actually work instead of being static.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Cog, the answer is no, I also have the old tool which I bought second hand to practice painting, and the new tool does not need them as the detail is a lot better. The time spent in making the corrections would be saved with the new tool.

Mr Taylor,

Nothing is impossible but at this scale you use such tiny dabs of glue, they are very fragile and break very easily, not to mention that if you bend some etch the wrong way then bend it back they snap off.

The designers have to be engineers to make it all work, and still do it economically. My biggest issue is the instructions seem to make perfect sense once you have finished making an assembly. I dare say it is the language barrier as well and lack of decent photos. I would be happy for Pontos to give me free stuff and I would do their instructions for them. There is a fantastic build on another site which I have been following,and the bloke from Pontos seems to drop in and out of their forum in the way of marketing his wares.

Working rigging blocks on a tall ship are feasible but given the amount of crew they require, not possible for the single modeller to represent. If I hadn't made some wooden ships first I would never have the patience to do this one.

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Very nice job on the 20mm cannon / guns Greg, even if only a 6 of them, that is very well detailed and came up a treat.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Just be thankful this is brass. I've done some stainless steel PE and you don't get any redos. Your mastery of the Pontos and other brass PE is outstanding, Greg.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I am limited with my photography with my phone, my job once sent me on a course but it was all about not being seen by the subject. Needless to say my eyes are going with the scale and I've got great near sighted vision. The triple 25mm's are a lot easier but there are 26 of them, I did up the first draught this afternoon without glue and they're quite easy.

Can someone please recommend the very best brand of tweezers they know of? Tamiya is too big, and there must be something out there that can handle 1mm pieces without sending them into orbit. I have one excellent pair but open to suggestions

Greg

Hi Greg,

Excellent work your doing on Yamato. Regarding tweezers, try looking for some that are intended for electronic surface mount work. Some of the devices, resistors and capacitors, come in packages that small, an 0603 package is 0.6mm x 0.3mm for example. There are smaller packages too.

Edited by FatFingers

Greg,

Look for juweler's tweezers, or the Japanese http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualcart.com/index.php?lang_id=en&genre_id=9&keyword=&sch_goods_tag=&act=&sortkey=&offset=10&tsuka_conv=jpy found the link in another log

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Next is the 25mm triple guns.post-253-0-07338600-1484001383_thumb.jpg

The Pontos kit provides 29 guns mounts, and the model requires 24.post-253-0-14000100-1484001388_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-54569100-1484001392_thumb.jpg

So I spent the afternoon and this morning working of the first draft so to speak to see how it goes together. Not as hard as the smaller guns, but still fiddly, the final product is very rough and now I know what to do it will improve. The gun shields come off as they are not on the real ship and I expect they are required for the Mushasi, and there are two options for the sights, which the reference material says were simple iron sights in 1944/45. post-253-0-27421400-1484001395_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-46176100-1484001397_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-14630700-1484001399_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-96969300-1484001402_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-54533100-1484001409_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-54905400-1484001412_thumb.jpg.

As I have spares, there are a few more ideas I want to try for ease of construction, the only thing is to have enough barrels I will probably have to pull the draft apart and burn it to get the glue off.

This is going to take a while.

Greg

Where did you get that fat finger/thumb :huh::o is that a blow up rubber finger???

Gawd that's tiny ... can imagine you'll be needing time to first find all the parts, and then fit them into one tripple gun ... great work, Greg

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

This build log shows what is possible - if the manufacturers of wooden ship kits invested in the same technology. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Dont know about the Amazing work you have done - but I can read how old you are by your rings ;):D

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

wonderful work on those guns....your really moving right along!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks all, slight miscalculation, there are actually 28 triple 25mm guns, so that's 76 barrels to insert, and 76 x 2mm magazines to fold and insert.

Just completed that aspect and somewhat cross eyed. Still, easier than stropping blocks.

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Nice work again on those 25s Greg; that ship sure had some close range fire power.  28 of this miniscule things; not just cross-eyed but a bit of a headache also I'd guess?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

After seeing this I can never whine about tiny PE again!

As far as tweezers go, I've had some luck wrapping the tips in 1 wrap of masking tape (sticky side toward the tip - not the work piece) helps keep small parts from being propelled into a parallel universe when I squeeze too hard at just the wrong time.

Edited by schooner

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

The thing is with tweezers I find that if any CA gets on them they have to be polished back as CA builds up in layers making them useless.

Try this. Pour some acetone into a glass jar, large enough to fit your tweezers in (I use pasta sauce jars). Put your CA caked tweezers into the jar and close the lid. After about 5-10 minutes, take it out and give it a wipe. Your tweezers will be as good as new. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Don't sand.... I doubt you can get the opposing bits perfectly square with each other.   Try the acetone as it works a treat.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)