IJN Yamato by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC

OC, I don't see why not, or use very this CA and put a little bit of matte on it afterwards.

Thanks mate,  ill give it a tester tomorrow.

Im loving your build by the way :)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

so photo etch isn't just brass......way too cool!  :)   really liking the way that decking looks

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

That is one very detailed kit Greg; how frustrating it must be to drill and assemble all those individual stanchions.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Not frustrating just part of the build really, I discovered more holes I am supposed to drill out too for the rear gun mounts (the PE instructions are so complex I really really really need to keep reading the kit instructions in conjunction), that also require support struts underneath.

I am still waiting on some perforated beams that will go on the stern of this piece, which in total will probably represent about 3% of the entire build. The volume of work is enormous before I even consider purchasing an airbrush and learning how to use it, then learning how to use it properly and teaching myself proper weathering techniques with it.

My previous 3 kits have been an excellent primer for this one as a lesson in patience.

Greg

Not frustrating just part of the build really, I discovered more holes I am supposed to drill out too for the rear gun mounts (the PE instructions are so complex I really really really need to keep reading the kit instructions in conjunction), that also require support struts underneath.

I am still waiting on some perforated beams that will go on the stern of this piece, which in total will probably represent about 3% of the entire build. The volume of work is enormous before I even consider purchasing an airbrush and learning how to use it, then learning how to use it properly and teaching myself proper weathering techniques with it.

My previous 3 kits have been an excellent primer for this one as a lesson in patience.

I keep thinking the same - my next build will have all the experience from my Warspite build including early lessons learned and techniques and know how.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Having read the instructions again, I need to add the Type 96 25mm AA gun mounts to the rear flight deck. A little more drilling and as the aft ones overhand the deck, a little bit of filling with card and putty. I have circled the areas that needed work, and after smoothing it out, added some support stanchions. post-253-0-87552900-1476415816_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-50555300-1476415825_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-95368400-1476415827_thumb.jpg

When I affix it to the hull I will place three more behind each of these but I need them to sit flush on the hull and I will wait for that.

Next will be the railings/runners for the launches.

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Looks good Greg, those sponson supports have a lot of detail for such small items.  

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Fascinating build, Greg.  I didn't realize that the Yamato had a hanger deck.. almost an aircraft carrier in addition to being a battleship.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Banyan, I know what you mean and have edited it! I have to type all the time at work and after 27 plus years of it I'm still crap at it. Night shift is interfering with the build at the moment.

I posted mid sleep, sponson supports, I've learnt something new!

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Banyan, I know what you mean and have edited it! I have to type all the time at work and after 27 plus years of it I'm still crap at it. Night shift is interfering with the build at the moment.

My night and day shifts are weird being at home carer for the wife, im up till silly o'clock most evenings - just cant sleep, I blame  being born at a late hour made me a night howl. :o

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi Greg, have edited my post to remove the ref completely :)  Sorry mate, rereading I hope you didn't think I was preaching terminology re "sponsons" - it wasn't intentional and simply automatic for me to use this terminology with my background. 

cheers

Pat

Little update, the crane runners for the ships launches.

The main metal pieces are 1 piece of PE, but the struts are each about 2mm x 1mm x 0.3mm. In order to place them as they are tiny triangles, it's a matter of placing them facing the right way in some blu-tack and running some CA in the grooves then using the tweezers to place them. Once placed, run some thin CA to seat them permanently, and watch some fall off, and repeat. There are 24 on each side and the kit provides 50, and I only lost 4 so a few tiny offcuts of old PE did the trick.

There is very very little reference as to how it works so a bit of scratch building/imaginative interpretation as to how I will sling the launches much much later in the build.

I am awaiting some perforated beams to place on some edges and this piece will be finished for all intensive purposes.

I am now moving on to the deck, drilling and prepping areas that will be replaced by the Pontos parts plus a couple of hundred stanchion holes.

post-253-0-73129400-1476674093_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-47378200-1476674102_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Moving along, I have done everything t the deck I can do before painting. There are marked places for the stanchions but I cannot drill them until I do up the hull.post-253-0-41671300-1476760258_thumb.jpg

The Forecastle is a very nice mold. As you can see from the AOTS there is not really much to be done here.post-253-0-06965400-1476760265_thumb.jpg

The Tamiya capstan and cable holder are fairly bland; post-253-0-15988400-1476760269_thumb.jpg and I have replaced them with the Chrysanthemum set which is just lovely.post-253-0-82385200-1476760272_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-72063300-1476760275_thumb.jpg

The front hawser hole is provided by Tamiya but the other brass is all Pontos.

Now it's in its' box until painting time. What next?

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Even from these preliminary stages, it looks like this will be another finely detailed model Greg.

cheers

Pat

Greg, what color will the treadplate get painted? I have a 1/700 Mogami in the stash and the painting instructions are less than stellar. Lucky they reference Tamiya colors. No Model Master or Vallejo cites in their instructions.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'm at the stage where I really want to start putting the hull together, but I have to paint the interior boat and aircraft hangers first. I have given the 'inside bits' their first primer an base coats. I will weather the interior bits by hand and wait till later until I do the IJN grey bits. That way I can put the sides one and the deck. post-253-0-02895400-1476848751_thumb.jpg

You can see in the foreground some perforated steel beams which are required on the rear aircraft deck, which is finally complete (2 weeks from the Ukraine to Oz is pretty good. post-253-0-28890200-1476848954_thumb.jpg

I intend to give the base coat 12 hours to dry nice and hard before I do any work on it then I can put the hull together.

Greg

I do not wish to hijack this thread which I find terific but why did the Japanese use treadplate for their deck and the German and the Americans used wood for their battleships. 

David B

I do not wish to hijack this thread which I find terific but why did the Japanese use treadplate for their deck and the German and the Americans used wood for their battleships. 

David B

I suspect because of the weather. German ships were submitted to extreme cold weather in Northern Europe, whereas Japanese were always in the tropical islands.

Yves

Is it too late in the build to consider fibre optic lighting for your ship? Putting some lights in the hangar will really show off your effort. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Now to start screwing the beast together. It is massive. The bow, hangars and main deck is down. I will get to the sides and forecastle later later next week then do the filling and sanding. The Rear aircraft deck will go on much much later.

post-253-0-17465000-1476933100_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-57332500-1476933105_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-13573500-1476933109_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-03998400-1476933112_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-76161400-1476933114_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

She is looking Great - Are you pleased so far.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.