IJN Yamato by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350

OK, I'll make a start on my next build log.

The 1/350 Tamiya (new tool) Yamato with Pontos upgrade set and numerous other bits and pieces.

Those of you that have watched some of my other builds have obviously figured out I like the aftermarket stuff. post-253-0-48173200-1475218998_thumb.jpg

That being said the kit is enormous, compared to my last build. post-253-0-75408600-1475219027_thumb.jpg

I also got a cheap old took kit off ebay for painting practice when I get around to buying an airbrush.

post-253-0-03811700-1475219103_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-86741800-1475219105.jpgpost-253-0-69531600-1475219108.jpgpost-253-0-60732800-1475219114.jpgpost-253-0-24351200-1475219121_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

FIRST IN!!! Can't wait for this. It's going to be good!

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Nice!

Dreadnought and Yamato. The mother and the pinnacle of battleships!

This will be amazing!

Robin :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

That was always my thinking Robin, this kit is a big elephant to eat and has been done all over the Internet so there is a lot of other build logs.

Research and photos of the original have a LOT of experts commenting on this and that and some forums are quite robust in their arguments. I'm open to suggestions as I like to do things with a fair bit of detail, so if anyone finds photos please place them on my log, I mean it.

Greg

Great stuff Greg,

I am settling down to follow this monster, looking forward to it.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Greg, count me in as you tackle this beast. Your handling of PE is superb. Build on!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Jealous!

Have you considered adding....

Awesome, love the guys doing Judo.  I saw an example of this kit with washing lines and clothes hanging up and a mat laid out on deck with the guys sitting crossed legged round it with the 2 guys throwing each other in the middle.  Was like a snapshot of day to day life on board.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Greg,

You are going to build both the old and the new tool ...

A tad to fast for me. My pontos set from Australia hasn't arrived yet, so I'll be copying your work later ;) Pitty you are doing the new tool kit. I'll be referencing as much as possible for Musashi, but it seems I will need to get some Yamato info as well.

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Cog, I will only do parts of the old tool up that I need to practice airbrushing on (so I don't completely stuff it up on the newer one), and steal the aircraft and boats from it. I won't be wasting photoetch on it. The old tool is less detailed and an easier kit to construct. I'm about to go away for a week so I am still getting my head around construction. The hull comes in 2 options, waterline or full hull, the lower hull has some major build flaws which I have remedied and will post later today (I'm off to get my boat licence with my 13 year old today). The upper hull comes in about 15 pieces which will require lots of prep before I even think about going for the glue. Again I will do individual stanchions which will require about 1000 0.3mm holes drilled out (I've ordered a 10 pack of drill bits as they break really easily), the aircraft and boat hangars have to also be constructed first which have a lot of etch and scratch building required.

As to putting a crew on board, there were 2000 souls, and to man her would require a LOT of $, North Star makes lovely stuff in 3D print now but if I start where do I stop? If I just put 30 of them on something as massive as this they would look a bit lonely as distract from the overall build I think.

Greg

This will no doubt tun into another Epic build, if your previous build have anything to do with it,  I have seen a few excellent builds on her in different build forums, so I will be following along aswel If I  may.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Count me in as well! Figures or not, she will be superb!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

The lower hull comes in two parts for some unknown reason and has a huge gap. I had to be careful in the use of putty to avoid losing the detail of the armor plates.

You can see the difference in detail between the old and the new tool kit.

One joined the use of a piece of wood to bracket the brass rods that will be used as stands and the addition of the shafts.

post-253-0-68109100-1475294420_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-97585100-1475294428_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-12028600-1475294433_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-06053400-1475294437_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-90802700-1475294439_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-29208300-1475294444_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-59934200-1475294447_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-42434000-1475294450_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-61289600-1475294453_thumb.jpg

Greg

After the unnecessary frustration of lower hull, the aircraft and boat hangars have to be done next, the is no way around it any very little reference to it. Not much is visible and the back of the ship has a lot of photo etch details but the first step is the hangar doors which on the new tool have to be cut in half to show them open. The last photo shows what a bit of aftermarket rivet lines can do and how they compare to the old tool.

The flyhawk upgrade includes these doors buy Pontos does not. They should look ok after some paint.

post-253-0-81854700-1475294941.jpg

post-253-0-42961000-1475294944.jpg

post-253-0-01100400-1475294968_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-40279000-1475294986_thumb.jpg

Greg

Hi Greg,

Enjoying the start of your build.  Can you explain the process for gluing the large flat photo etch deck plate to the plastic and what glue you used? 

Cheers

Slog

Hi Greg; nice kit and build you have chosen.  That was a very short sabbatical though :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Slog,

I used very thin CA spred on with a chisel end blade.

Banyan, yes I know but the weather has been atrocious the last week so I thought I'd have a potter while getting my head around the build as it's quite complex. I am off for a weeks holiday tomorrow. I did get a solid two days weeding the garden (with a pick axe) and I was so sore I needed some rest as well as finally getting my boat licence (for tinnys not like your warships!).

Greg

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

I reckon I have done enough on the hangars now as I intend to park about 3 aircraft in there and you wont see much. Ive ordered some perforated steel beams which I will need for the boat hangars which run on both sides of the hangar and alongside the main rear gun.

I can pretty much make this up as there are no references anywhere.

post-253-0-20282600-1475388076_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-92617200-1475388079_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-04804100-1475388082_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-06267300-1475388127_thumb.jpg

Greg

Greg,

If you have been gardening for two days with a pick axe, I'm amazed you got the parts on straight!!! My hands would be shaking all over.

I see I'll be in for a treat when I get the Pontos detail up set ... glad I practised a bit with a 90% brass airplaine at 1/72, mainly fuselage. There are some minute parts to work with ... won't it be hard to get the insideof the  hanger painted? The white styrene strips on the walls are your own additions I presume ... It does make it look less ... plastic

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

wow! you move fast! 

I envy your PE skills. Very crisp and clean, gorgeous!

Robin :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

very nice intro on Yamoto.......looking good  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Really like what you are doing with thus build Greg..... your skill with working with the photo etch is an

art in it self.... looking forward to watching your progress

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

it's very interesting how photo etch looks so much better than detail already molded onto the part.   earlier kits had this........and most times,  poorly done {I might add}.    there is so much of it out there now-a-days.........even more so now with wood kits  :)    I used to own a P.E. bender.....traded it for a Billing Bluenose kit.   I probably should be regretting it right now  ;)

nice job detailing that area.......surprised that there isn't any info about it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch