IJN Yamato by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC

You'll just have to sniff on that Old grouse then Carl!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

After a few days off due to illness, the 25mm triple mass production continues.

For ease of application they are laid out on masking tape and the barrels added.post-253-0-23294900-1484286787_thumb.jpg

Then the magazines folded and placed in blue tack facing the right way for application.post-253-0-55285800-1484286795_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-11904500-1484286799_thumb.jpg

Then the sights and rear handles added. Whilst the alignment is not perfect, they are soo tiny it is not really noticeable with the naked eye. post-253-0-07265000-1484286802_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-57016400-1484286806_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-81986300-1484286808_thumb.jpg

Greg

Most impressive.  The production line style of assembly is definitely the way to go once the process is refined.

Looking forward to more.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Quite a row of new recrutes! You are ever so right. When you look closely at them you see all kinds of miniscule misalignments (especially when you made the part yourself), but with the naked eye, at a normal viewing distance ... not visible at all. Very impressive sight!!!

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Missed your calling Greg; Holden (GM for non-Aussies) would not have shut up shop if you had been their production manager ;):)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Greg,

Some amazingly patient and detailed work here...very much enjoying following along.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

So, the kit goes away for a while. Back in the 1980's I had one of these, worked fine.post-253-0-96215900-1484454084_thumb.jpg

Now to re learn the skill.post-253-0-36671000-1484454090_thumb.jpg

I intend to start painting up bits of the old tool to learn modulation and filtering, before any paint goes on the new kit.

This should be fun. It's amazing how much there is on Utube for tanks and planes, nothing on ships.

Greg

Really a great idea lining up all those guns on a stick for assembly. That has to help at least in some small way to keep the alignment of parts consistent from one gun to the next as you can get a visual picture of how they line up.

Don't be intimidated by that airbrush. You are going to love it, I guarantee. The one you've chosen has the nice lock on the back to regulate how much paint will come out. All you have to do is squeeze the trigger for air and get comfortable with how far back you'll want to spray from the target. Also, you'll need to become comfortable with the paint reduction and what works best for you. Much of the time, I spray Vallejo Air paints straight from the bottle, but sometimes I may need to reduce it a bit depending on the color pigment. Some seems thicker than others. 

You are going to really benefit from the ease of cleaning that H&S brush offers. It is top of the line.

Thanks Mr Bunny, I intend on keeping Banyan as my go to man for trouble shooting. He is a wealth of knowledge on paints as well. It's been 30 years since I've used one, and a chap has done an amazing job on this kit on the model ship forum which I will try to replicate as much as I can. As such, I won't have much to post for a while till I get this right(ish). Finishing off those 25mm's did my head in.

Greg

Morning Greg,

I can imagine your head isn't looking forward to the double and single gun "compilations". I'm on the singles but it's a slow process. It is good to switch, and the airbrush is a new challenge, a fun one. there are numerous ways to improve on yourself. Presently I can't do anything with it. It's to cold and humid where I spray. In that respect downunder is a better place for airbrush. You'll enjoy that infinity. It realy is a pleasure to work with.

Cheers

Carl

Now to re learn the skill.attachicon.gifH&S.jpg

Harder & Steenbeck....great stuff!  :)

What brand of paint you plan to use?

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Cog, I've done all the pure etch stuff now at least. Where I live it is probably too cold to airbrush for at least 3 months of the year, but every day is in the high 30's at the moment so that's OK. It only gets to the minus 4's here in winter at night but never humid.

Robin, I will probably use Grunze or Vajello but Banyan has given me some good ideas, and there is so much out there on the net.

It's been a big investment so lucky I worked nearly every public holiday over Xmas.

Greg

Guys...when you use Vallejo acrylics with same brand airbrush thinner, you can airbrush indoors without a problem.

And no need to do it in a dungeon either. It's non toxic and it doesn't even smell bad.

Just fire up the heater a bit and you can airbrush without a problem. When it's comfy warm the humidity will go down also.

The admiral only complains when I use a rattle can with basecoat or varnish....both smell and I'm not sure about how healthy it is to use it indoors.

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Greg,

You lucky man (temperature wise) Coming week we will see 5 C as high temperature, after Wednesday it won't be positive at all ...

Robin,

Thanks for sharing. I don't have the space within the house to spray, at least, it isn't practical. What cans do you use for primer?

Cheers

Carl

Carl

Tamiya. I don't like the Vallejo primer. I also hear good things about Mr.Surfacer, but didn't try it myself yet.

Edit: Nothing wrong with airbrushing on the dining table. A piece of cardboard is all you need to protect the table.

I did that for years without painting the living room in all sorts of RLM colours. The Admiral even liked it when I worked there...now she's complaining about me hiding in my cave! Really...airbrushing (with acrylics) won't leave a mess and it won't kill the family. A fairly decent compressor won't make much noise either.

Edited by Robin Lous

Robin,

You haven't seen the surface of our dining table. Now I mention it, neither have I for a long time ;):)

(Sorry for hijacking your log Greg, couldn't resist ... )

Edited by cog

Carl

All good cog, my compressor arrived today, I got a package including an airbrush cleaner and a Sparmax airbrush for the same price as the same compressor from other stores here in Oz from Hobby Tools Australia, arrived in Canberra from Victoria in three days (over a weekend), about the distance of you Country Cog.

Took me an hour but I've got the compressor figured out in respect of PSI.

I do like the Tamiya rattle can primer for big areas but will try the AK for the small bits.

Greg

North - South, or East - West ... There is a very large difference, at least to Dutchmen (one and a half times it's width is it's height) I checked he distance, but you are off by 150 km largest length, Greg. Australia is far bigger then you presumed

Cheers

Carl

If you want to learn airbrushing I can highly recommend to check out Flory models. There are so much to learn there. The link is http://www.florymodels.co.uk

I follow him as often I can.

Jörgen

Current:  Sherbourne - Caldercraft 1/64

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65
Finished: Endeavour - Americas Cup J class 1934 - Amati 1/80

Other:    Airplanes and Tanks

And he have a video build over revel Iwo Jima 1:350. Very good tips how to paint a large grey ship :)

Jörgen

Current:  Sherbourne - Caldercraft 1/64

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65
Finished: Endeavour - Americas Cup J class 1934 - Amati 1/80

Other:    Airplanes and Tanks

I don't think I will subscribe though Jorgen, I have been playing around with primers today, and I think for the large areas I will probably just use the old Tamiya rattle can to prime the really large areas and then the airbrush for the smaller ones. I have done a 50/50 on the trial hull of the Yamato with Tamiya/Vajello. I will then try panel lines tomorrow

Greg