IJN Yamato by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC

The hull looks very good now. Wouldn't have expected sienna to do that, but I should have known colourwise. Yes, those turrets aren't for pussies;) They stretch the whole breadth of my hand. Did you use a larger nozzle on he airbrush for the primer? Can' wait to set mine up. I'll be having enough to do when I can start priming. The box with parts to prime starts to fill up

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Moving on with the mains guns whilst the hull sets, after the primer coat, some pre shading then filling it in and overspraying.post-253-0-70845500-1487115151_thumb.jpg

Then a lighter highlightpost-253-0-90127800-1487115164_thumb.jpg

Then masking to bring up sharp edges with 50/50 mix of light grey and whitepost-253-0-44735200-1487115183_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-82289600-1487115195_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-79763300-1487115205_thumb.jpg

Finally a grey filter added to tone it down.post-253-0-28800300-1487115225_thumb.jpg

next will be the blast bags and gun tubs, then washes and weathering.

Greg

You're getting quite the dab hand at this Greg; those gun turrets look very good indeed.  Nice work. 

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Greg, that is some impressive detailing there. Watching you layer paint brings the same awe to me as watching our scenic artists give a hunk of gel coat and fiberglass life.

Two questions, there are some very tiny trusses or ladders at the base of the barrels and two "wings" on the rear of the turrets, what are they?

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Painting really is an 'art' as you are showing Greg, great work indeed.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

That is stunning Greg, really good work with the airbrush.  Weathering; looks like you have started - there appears to be some nice grime effect in the gun tubs at least. and the looks of some rust on the leading oblique plates of the rangefinder extensions?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

This is what I could find:

on a good day the turret recieved information from the director on the foretop. This used radar to get precise range information and had a stereoscopic system as backup.
If the turret stopped receiving information from the fire control computer the turret would switch to local control. This was entirely stereoscopic, and thats why there are "wings" on the back part of the turret, this houses the lenses for the rangefinder within the turret.

Carl

Those tubs were fitted in 1945, on one of the front turrets and the rear turret. They do give something extra, that's what I can't add on the Musashi. Love the detail you added with the paint, Greg. Wonderful work on that.

Carl

Banyan, only used a light wash so far, grime and rust then salt to go. Once that's done I can add the railings then park them. I'm working on the secondary guns at the same time plus a few other bits and pieces. Your advice on the airbrush has been invaluable to me. It's such a big kit, it takes a lot of paint. My trigger application has improved a lot, bit like my normal work tools, gentle application with the centre of the index finger gets the most accurate results without flinching.

Greg

Glad the airbrush has turned out to your liking; can't beat good tools that are handled correctly (work or play) :);)  You have leap frogged me in application though as I have never tried layering shading etc.  After seeing your efforts here I may consider this as an option for Vampire as i have the original resin hull to play with first.

cheers

Pat

look'in good Greg........you've really got a handle on airbrushing techniques  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

As previously stated, whilst waiting on the lower hull to set, I've done up the secondary and main guns. This mean doing up the railings using ezline and adding rust, grime and salt streaks.post-253-0-54627600-1487634779_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-18275400-1487634782_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-33351100-1487634786_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-71331700-1487634791_thumb.jpg

Behind the forward turret are two paravanes, and the reference material is a bit vague here as some say there are paravanes n the aft secondary turret as well, but they don't fit so I have omitted them and may place them on the deck later.post-253-0-49769400-1487634796_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-75927900-1487634800_thumb.jpg

The next pieces are the sides for the main superstructure, the vents that go behind main turret two and a platform that will sit behind the main bridge superstructure. post-253-0-19566400-1487634805_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-85498900-1487634811_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-15914800-1487634817_thumb.jpg

Greg

You ought be happy, Greg.  Those guns look fantastic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

SUPERB Work :) :) :)

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Your painting makes it look very realistic. I like the way your railings turned out with the easy line. Might be even easier than the brass ones, considering the hardships those gave and give me. At least the look a lot better! As far I can see your kit has a lot more detail to the plastic to start with, which is a nice plus, a terrific job

Carl

She's seen some serious sea-time this one; that is very effective weathering Greg.

cheers

Pat