Photos from Viking Ship Museum in Oslo Norway

Erik W

I recently returned from several weeks in Iceland and Norway.  With wooden boats on my mind, I took photos of the Gokstad, Oseberg ships, built in the 800s, at the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo, Norway. 

post-20029-0-19577200-1475339816_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-10557500-1475339842_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-23836800-1475339864_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-94873700-1475339879_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-03539700-1475339906_thumb.jpg

Edited by Erik W

Thanks for these Eric. After having completed a Dusek kit of the Gokstad I have a whole new appreciation for the art and craftsmanship of these Northmen. If you ever decide to build one of these ships check out some of the videos that are linked to recent posts of the Viking ship Drakken, particularly its building.

I hope to see you back at your shipyard soon.

Best, Ian

• 3 weeks later...

This is just a fantastic museum and needs to be visited, we visited Oslo in 2015.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Yes, they are wonderfully built ships and very sea worthy. I visited the Viking museum in 2001. While there we also visited the Fram museum nearby. If you ever get back to Norway I suggest you go see it if you haven't already done so. Thank you for sharing your great photographs, they really catch the essence of the ship. I lost my own when my computer crashed a few years ago.

Mike,

an American living in Norway

Current build:  Galley Washington - 1:48 - Scratch POF - NRG plans